The only way to improve your photography is to take pictures. This grading formula rewards taking pictures consistently over the semester with the aim of making you a better photographer. There are lab exercises, discussions, and homework assignments every week. If you complete these conscientiously and on time, you will get full credit. Midterm and Final projects will be graded for quality and creativity with a rubric.
Grades will be based on:
- Homework: 36 pts – 9 weekly assignments at 4 pts each
- Projects: 25 pts – Midterm – 10 pts – and Final Projects – 15 pts
- Lab exercises: 26 pts – 13 weeks at 2 pts each
- Quizzes: 8 pts – 2 quizzes at 4 pts each
- Office Visits: 5 pts – 2 visits at 2.5 pts each
Homework will be assigned each week of the semester and be due the following Tuesday at 8 am. Each assignment is worth 4 points. To get full credit, you must:
- Turn in the full number of requested images to Flickr by uploading it and organizing it in an album with the assignment name.
- Before the start of the next class, share 5 of your best images with the class via the class group. This allows your work to be seen by the class and included in the homework critique.
- In addition, each week by Wednesday 12 midnight, you must select a photograph you think is really successful made by one of your classmates in response to the homework assignment. Post the image with proper attribution to OpenLab with a comment (min 50 words) using the vocabulary of photography.
Late assignments will lose 1 pt for each week that they are late.
Any written assignments will be submitted to OpenLab.
Projects will take place over several weeks with components due each week. They will be graded according to the project rubric which rewards creative and varied use of composition, good technique and participation in critiques.
Lab Exercises and Quizzes
Each class will have several lab exercises. These are to be done during the synchronous part of the class. If you cannot attend the class, you are still responsible for completing the Lab Exercises.
There will be two quizzes this semester.
Lab exercises and quizzes will be submitted on OpenLab.
You are required to meet with me one-on-one for a minimum of 20 minutes via video chat twice this semester, once on or before October 15 and once between November 1 and December 10.
Please email me before October 1 to arrange the first meeting and before October 19th for the second. If at all possible please pick a time during my regular office hours. If those times don’t wrk for you, we will find a time that is mutually convenient.Print this page