Homework #1

Matthew Pillsbury was born in Neuilly, France, 1973, received his B.A. in 1995 from Yale University, and his MFA from the School of Visual Arts in New York in 2004. He currently lives in New York. His images are consistently moody and atmospheric. Working exclusively in black-and-white. This is the picture of empire building, as usual, it’s black and white picture, I do not know the purpose of this picture and mood by Pillsbury point of view also he has a lot of empire building picture but to me this one is one of his best picture of empire building because everything is in perfect timing and balance. Like the way the sunshine and maximum of clouds so it didn’t take your eyes from the building also he didn’t zoom in to building too much that it overpowers the sky and clouds.

To me, the purpose of this picture is showing the beauty of the empire building. The way he took this picture when you look at it first thing you can note is an empire and everything around this picture is focus on the building. Even the sun is shining right at the building and cloud are going around the building. The mood or feeling of this picture is “Hope” as we all know New York is the city of hope many people come to New York to rich there dream. The way I see this picture we are the building and hope is sun and in this picture, the sun is shining at the building as our hope is right there in our life

The three formal element from the Steve McCurry is Rule of Thirds, Diagonals, and Figure to Ground. He used Rule of Thirds to make is focus on the building and cloud and also the way the sun shining at the building is Diagonals. Last he used Figure to Ground tell us the story like if we want to succeed in our life there is always a problem waiting for us in our way just like in this picture the sun is our dream and cloud is our problem and we are the building.

One Response to Homework #1

1. rmichals says:

I agree that the purpose of this photo is to make the Empire State building look beautiful. The photographer uses the rule of thirds and the picture does rely on the relationship of the building to the sky so figure to ground works too. Not sure about diagonals?

Also, pay attention to details. This photo was taken by Michael Kenna not Matthew Pillsbury.