Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section OL40 | Spring 2021

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo which will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Noe Carrillo

I would choose illustrator

Why would you make that choice?
    So I myself didn’t use a lot of photoshop or illustrator, but i do think that illustrator is more for creating things with shapes and colors while, photoshop can do that. i think that it is more toward editing photos and fixing pictures

2. Damani Douglas

If I needed to design a logo for a client for various applications the ideal program to use between Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator would be Adobe Illustrator. Both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator are great programs for designing logos. However, photoshop is a raster program, which runs on a bitmap (pixel) system, and illustrator is a vector program, which runs on a point-based system, maximizing graphic applicability. Bitmap programs present designs at a set size, which in turn, lose resolution when enlarged. It wouldn’t be optimal to distribute a logo made with a bitmap program because it cannot be used for multiple platforms. For example, if a company requests a logo, it can be expected that they would like to use smaller versions of the image for online brandings like a professional website, YouTube, and social media platforms, and larger versions of the image for prints like billboards, signs, and product packaging branding.

Vector programs use mathematical point-based systems to produce images that can be scaled indefinitely. As such, it shows no loss of resolution with a change in scale, unlike with raster files. Vector’s mathematical point-based system also allows for smooth, clean curves, unlike raster’s inability to draw smooth lines and curves because of pixel approximation. Illustrator files have a leg up over ideal for logos because vector images occupy less space than raster images. Vector file formats include: ai. (Adobe Illustrator), .eps (encapsulated postscript), .svg (scalable vector graphic driven by XML files), and .pdf (portable document format). Raster file formats include: .PSD (Photoshop file), .CR3 (raw data captured by a digital camera), .jpeg (Joint Photographic Experts Group), .png (Portable Network Graphic), .gif (Graphics Interchange Format), .tiff (Tagged Image File Format). Ultimately, Adobe Illustrator’s vector format would be the most ideal formatting for a client’s logo with various applications.

3. Kelly Wen

If I needed to create a logo for a client that will be used in various applications, I would use Adobe Illustrator. Both Illustrator (vector) and Photoshop (raster) are capable of creating a logo, but the better option would be illustrator because in order for the logo to be used on a multitude of platforms, it should be scalable to any size without compromising the quality of the graphic. When a raster graphic is stretched and expanded beyond its original size, it will lose sharpness or smoothness. It will also be easier to alter certain attributes of the logo, like the shape or the color of the logo if it is a vector graphic, because it will be composed of separate objects or mathematically defined paths, as opposed to pixels in a grid for a raster graphic.
    The file size of a vector graphic is also typically smaller, even though the objects will look sharp regardless of the size it is displayed or printed in. Raster graphics use bitmaps to store images, so the larger the image, the more disk space is needed for storage. Typical file extensions include: .BMP, .TIF, .GIF, and .JPG. Vector graphics use mathematical commands on a plane, which places objects and shapes onto a 2D or 3D environment. Because vector graphics are saved as a sequence of statements, smaller files are created. File extensions include: .SVG, .EPS, .PDF, .AI, and .DXF. The main difference between a raster and vector graphic, aside from the difference in file extensions, is the composition of the graphic. Raster graphics are composed of pixels which makes it good for things that are very detailed in tone and color, like a photograph. A vector graphic is good for projects like logo design, because it does not restrict the design to a rectangular shape. It is also made of shapes and lines in solid colors and gradients that can be scaled and altered to fit the company’s needs. The last reason why I would use Adobe Illustrator is because a vector graphic can be easily converted into a raster graphic. This would allow for printing on paper more easily, because the PPI can be adjusted depending on the size of the print.

4. Mohammad Ali

1) If I need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client, and the applications I could use were between Illustrator or Photoshop, even though I know Illustrator is the “better” option to use for creating logos, I would select Photoshop as my application of choice.

2) I would select Photoshop to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client because I have more experience with the application and know my ways around it, such as the tools, the menus, and the features themselves. If I were to use Illustrator instead, I would end up getting lost in the application and not knowing what to do without some help or a tutorial.

5. Saul Lopez

1. I have no experience with either programs but if I did I would choose photoshop because I can most likely make a logo with it.
    2. I have seen videos how people can use photoshop for many different things so I i believe it can do the job

6. Saul Lopez

7. Account Deleted

1. Personally I currently don’t have any experience using both of these software hence why I’m currently in intro classes. If I were to choose though between the two software I would choose Illustrator because from what I’ve seen from research and heard is that Illustrator is best for logo’s and should be the first option you choose. Many of my friends use Illustrator for logos and quick designs for stuff they need. The images come out looking stellar all the time.

2. The reason I would make this choice is that for Logos Illustrator allows your logo to be a vector object meaning it can be reshaped and resized while retaining all of its quality. For many designers, Illustrator is the go-to software for logo design. This software make’s it easy to design stunning logos for your company, industry, and can be any style that you prefer whether it’s print, video, or digital.