Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section OL40 | Spring 2021

01 Discussion

If I needed to create a logo for a client that will be used in various applications, I would use Adobe Illustrator. Both Illustrator (vector) and Photoshop (raster) are capable of creating a logo, but the better option would be illustrator because in order for the logo to be used on a multitude of platforms, it should be scalable to any size without compromising the quality of the graphic. When a raster graphic is stretched and expanded beyond its original size, it will lose sharpness or smoothness. It will also be easier to alter certain attributes of the logo, like the shape or the color of the logo if it is a vector graphic, because it will be composed of separate objects or mathematically defined paths, as opposed to pixels in a grid for a raster graphic.

The file size of a vector graphic is also typically smaller, even though the objects will look sharp regardless of the size it is displayed or printed in. Raster graphics use bitmaps to store images, so the larger the image, the more disk space is needed for storage. Typical file extensions include: .BMP, .TIF, .GIF, and .JPG. Vector graphics use mathematical commands on a plane, which places objects and shapes onto a 2D or 3D environment. Because vector graphics are saved as a sequence of statements, smaller files are created. File extensions include: .SVG, .EPS, .PDF, .AI, and .DXF. The main difference between a raster and vector graphic, aside from the difference in file extensions, is the composition of the graphic. Raster graphics are composed of pixels which makes it good for things that are very detailed in tone and color, like a photograph. A vector graphic is good for projects like logo design, because it does not restrict the design to a rectangular shape. It is also made of shapes and lines in solid colors and gradients that can be scaled and altered to fit the company’s needs. The last reason why I would use Adobe Illustrator is because a vector graphic can be easily converted into a raster graphic. This would allow for printing on paper more easily, because the PPI can be adjusted depending on the size of the print. 

1. Damani Douglas

Hey Kelly!

I didn’t know that vector files were saved through a “sequence of statements” until reading this. I’m not too sure what that entails, but I am interested in learning how vector files’ save processes differ from raster!