PowerPoint and Homework: Sept. 7th

Wednesday, September 7th

Today’s PowerPoint: Here is the Link

Homework, Due Monday, Sept. 13th

Read “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan, write a response to the questions on OpenLab.

• What did you think of this text? Explain!
    • What is it mostly about? Write a 2-4 sentence summary. Be specific. Refer to the text itself. Use quotes even!
    • What is the genre of the text? What is the tone?
    • Amy Tan writes, “Recently, I was made keenly aware of the different Englishes I do use.” What does she mean by this? What different “Englishes” does she use? When does she use them?
    • What does Amy Tan mean when she uses the term “mother tongue?”
    • What was Amy Tan’s perspective on her mother’s English as a child? How does it change over time? What influences led to her shift in perspectives?
    • Why do you think Amy Tan wrote this article? Who do you think is her intended audience?
    • Think about your relationship to the languages in your life. Describe at least two different languages or forms of language that you use either in speaking or writing. For example, when you text or email vs. when you speak. Or when you speak to a family member vs. a friend. Or a professor vs. a friend. Does it change depending on your audience? How? Why?

1. Jaden Schultz-Glenn

• I thought that this was a good text and I like the way when you could read it you really can grasp what they are saying, and how they are interpreting it. I like the way she made it all about her mom and her background,  and about her and her mother’s journey
    • It is about her mother and how they are Chinese, and she doesn’t really speak fluent english so people would take advantage of her because don’t what she’s saying sometimes. That’s when Amy comes in and has to be there for her mom to let the people know what she is saying because Amy can speak better and then she talks about her childhood growing 
    • The genre of the text is an essay 
    • She means that she doesn’t speak the same kind of english as someone else because she is Chinese that is her first language so she had to learn another language by going to school and reading books. She speaks to her mom in different english because that’s just their way of talking.
    • When she uses the term “mother tongue” she means the way her mother speaks 
    • Her perspective on her mother’s english as a child she understood her clearly because it helped her, expressed things, made sense of the world” she had clear view of her surroundings. It changed overtime to she knows how to switch up the way she speaks, what she shifted her perspective was her journey in life 
    • I think she wrote this because she wanted to share the story of immigrant mothers and how her mother speaks, her audience is young Asian-American kids 
    • The way I speak is different compared to the way I text because I don’t text the way I speak because I’m not really a texter you could have more of a conversation with me in person than through text. I also feel like certain things through text don’t really give tone, like you shouldn’t break up with someone over text when you speak in person you are showing emotion and can expired. 
  2. Andy Zheng

• I think this text is very good. After reading it for a long time, you can understand what the author wants to express. I think it’s amazing how the author talks about her own relationship with her mother.
    • It mainly tells about her experience with her mother, how they grew up to be Chinese, and how she improved her own English in the process. At first she would be ridiculed by others for not being fluent in English, and then she grew up slowly.
    • I think the Genre of this text is the article.
    • Amy said she realized that her English was different from other people’s, she meant that she was Chinese and English was not as good as native speakers, so she had to go to school to strengthen her English. She communicated with her mother in a different English that represented English that only they could understand because they were Chinese.
    • Amy’s use of the word “mother tongue” means the way her mother speaks.
    • Amy agrees and understands her mother’s English as a child because it helps her express her thoughts and understand others in English. What led her to change her perspective was sharing the journey of her life.
    • I think Amy’s point in writing this article is that she wants to share the story of being a Chinese speaking English and then being a mother. This is largely because the readers are more Asian.
    • In my daily life, I always use my native Mandarin to communicate with my family and friends. But I use English when communicating with other people online. And the way I communicate changes with the audience. For my peers, I am more of a way of showing confusion and optimism. When communicating with older groups I try to use simple and easy-to-understand words. This is also a charm of language. It does not require too complicated words to let people understand what you mean most intuitively.
  3. Omar Apreza

What I think about the story was interesting for me on her situation as a reader felt what she was going through. It a situation that I have been through as well with mine. I think that this story bring reader interest on how she expresses her mother.

The book is telling about Amy mother that she struggles on english. That other people wouldn’t take her seriously because of her english. That the mother only hope she had was Amy. The only daughter that could speak perfect english. Amy realize that how people treat her mother differently cause of her english. It was being used as joke because of her english.

This genre on of the story is an essay.

What was Amy talking about the different english it was referring to a lingo that her and her mother used different out in public. In the essay she wrote about how her mother never heard her use those english at her instead of someone else.

What she meant about mother tongue was meant the way she speaks that makes her be herself.

When Amy was a child she felt ashamed the way her mother can’t speak proper english. But when she got older she realizes on how people treat her and embrace it to see what was being said to her.

Amy wrote this article on how she felt what means to her mother. That she let the reader explain what her mother and her are going through. To see one of the reader could relate to her story. It makes me realize that I feel the same way as her because I do have a mother like that to.

What I felt having two different language is more useful to understand other people even in text having to respond the same language or lingo is being understandable to other people.

4. Sophie Sall

1.I think it’s an interesting text because it makes you think about the different ways people talk and how it can affect their life on a daily basis.

2.It’s mostly about the different “Englishes” Amy Tan uses and how she changes her language depending on who she’s talking to. It also shows how there’s a difference on the way people are going to treat you based on the way you speak English. It also talks about how teachers tend to put kids that do better in math or science, in those fields rather than giving them a chance to go into the literature field.

3.The genre of this text is academic journal. The Tone is negative.

4.When Amy Tan writes,”Recently I was keenly aware of the different Englishes I do use”, she means that she realized that she was talking in different types of ways depending on who she’s talking to. She uses a formal English as well as a more simple English. She uses formal English when she gives speeches or is in meetings and uses a more simple English when she’s around her family.

5.When Amy Tan uses the term “Mother Tongue”, she means the language that she speaks with her mom.

6.As a child, Amy Tan was embarrassed of her mother’s language. Over time, she learned to embrace her mother’s language.The influences that led to her shift in perspectives are when she realized that that was her mother’s language and that it’s totally fine to speak that way.

7.I think Amy Tan wrote this article to let people know that it’s okay to speak in a different way than other people. The intended audience is immigrants.

8.My language changed depending on who I am talking to. For example when I write an email, I try to be as formal as possible, whereas when I text my friends, I write in a more simple and casual way. The reason for that is that in certain situations you need to talk in a correct way in order to be taken seriously but with friends and family you can usually talk the way you want and it doesn’t really matter.

5. Giselle Tlapechco

I liked how relatable the text was. It made me reflect on how as a child and adolescent I helped my family translate due to my family members having limited vocabulary in english. While they now have more knowledge in English they don’t ask for much help but as a child they needed more help and I would do the best I could. Children from immigrant parents can relate to helping their parents all the time which is why I enjoyed the text because it makes me feel represented. 

It is mostly about the types of relationship Tan and her mother had with English, in the text Tan mentions how she liked language and has a passion for it which is why she’s a writer. In the text she mentions that because of her mother Tan was often helping her mother because of the language barrier and was put in a situation that children of non immigrants would be able to understand. Tan notices that even if english is not her strongest skill she wants to pursue it in language. 

I think this text may be a personal essay because Tan mentions the relationship she has with language. The tone may be informal because the author mentions their thoughts and also humorous in a way it’s casual as if they were conversing with the reader.

By different “englishes” she means whether she uses simple language or advanced language that may have advanced vocabulary. Tan uses simple English with her mother and advanced English in different environments whether it’s school or work related. 

Amy Tan means by the term “mother tongue” the language her mother and her use to communicate whether it was simple or not it’s the language they bond with and understand each other in.

At the beginning she mentions how she was embarrassed about her mom’s English because she had always been the interpreter and the one to do everything. She also did not like how people would make faces and judge her mother because her English was not advanced. As she grows she comes to the conclusion that her mother tried her best. School is what influenced her to change her perspective because english was not her strong skill despite having difficulty her passion was the english language and she tried her best to become good even if she was not good at the beginning. She fought to become better and made mistakes to learn from it. 

I think Amy Tan wrote this article for children of immigrant parents because most children tend to struggle with English if their first language isn’t english. Readers may relate to how they have helped their parents as children because their parents may only have had a basic understanding of english. 

When I speak English I feel the most comfortable because I have more experience, I speak with my friends and sibling in English as well in school and work environments. When it comes to other relatives I speak in spanish but my spanish is not that great however I can have basic conversations before I start to stutter. Based on the audience and platform there will be many different languages used. On social media I can be more careful of what to say because I wouldn’t to post something I might regret later on like people have mentioned its best to not say something or do something that you may regret later on because once its on the internet it is permanent. However when it comes to texting friends or family while you still have to be conscious of what you’re going to say there is more trust and you don’t really have to keep your guard up since it is someone you most likely have built a relationship with.

6. Shirley Hun

I enjoyed reading this text a lot, it feels very relatable since she talks heavily on her struggles with English, being raised in a immigrant household. I liked how her mother was a huge part of this text and her story.  

The story highlights the authors  interpretation of English and  journey of being a writer in it. She realize  how different english can be  because she grew up in a Chinese family. Her mother in specific had “broken” or “limited” English and the author mentioned how that affected how she would talk herself and how she viewed her. She had many experiences where she had to speak for her mother in calls or was embarrassed. But soon she realized that she shouldn’t be held to what standard English is and that the way her mom speaks is fine, and there own “mother tongue”

The genre of the text is a essay. The tone is very personal and comfortable. 

When Amy says this, she means she realized that she has a different way of speaking to various people and groups. When presenting in front of others she become more refined, using a wide vocabulary. But it differs with her mother. 

Mother tongue is the language she grew up on. The way of speaking that only she and her close intimate family can understand completely. 

When she was a child she viewed her mother English as broken and bad. She was embarrassed. However as she grew older she couldn’t help but wince at saying she was a ashamed of her. These experiences where she had to be the connection for her mother because of  the barrier is what shifted her perspective eventually. As well, as her exposure of English in different places like school. 

She wrote this article to talk about her experiences and journey to be the writer she is now. To also relate to immigrant children who experienced the same feelings she had.

I have many ways of speaking, when I speak to a professor or any stranger I tend to have a more polite and friendly tone. With family and friends, im definitely more comfortable so my language and tone changes. I tend to speak more casual or will use more slang. 

7. Jesus

1. I liked this text a lot because I find it relatable. Having immigrant parents is an experience shared by many many people but also having to help them like how the author Amy Tan described is relatable, I understand what she’s writing about
    2. Mother Tongue by Amy Tan is about Amy’s experiences and the things she’s learned about how she talks and how her mother talks just her reflecting back on her and her mom. Describing why her mom talks the way it is and why she also thinks why saying things like they’re speaking broken English is wrong. She makes a lot of good points and I would say that she is just speaking about her own life, talking about her own life experiences from her family.
    3. The genre of this text is a memoir i think. She is writing about her own life memories of her life and connecting them to present day. She talks about stuff that has happened in her life the memories she has when she was younger etc. I dont think the tone is really sad or anything its not super happy or anything either. Until you get to the part where she talks about talking over the phone for her mother. She talks about when they dont want to deal with her since they can barely understand her, as well as when she talks about when she was at the hospital and she had to demand for her cat scan because of a brain tumor they discovered. Very serious tone here as it’s not a cute little thing where she can speak English and miss a couple words but this is a serious situation. And it sorta keeps this tone till the end.
    4. I think what Amy means by that is she uses different dialects. She has different ways of speaking and it’s all different depending on the situation. She said she doesn’t speak a lot of what she learned at school with her own mom, like speaking with normalized forms she says. She will speak to her mom in a way that would sorta be more simple and understandable. That’s not to say she doesn’t understand it though because she will read stuff like Forbes reports and wall street week that has more formal English that Amy doesn’t use with her mom.
    5. i think what she means by mother tongue is like saying how her mom talks. Or the way she talks to her mom. The use of her being sorta simple and using less words is what she calls mother tongue.
    6. She said she did not like it and was actually embarrassed by it when she was younger. I think that the older she gets the more she understands her mother and the way she speaks. She doesn’t see it as her mom doesn’t understand English as she probably did when she was younger. She gets older and knows her mom can read and she speaks to her mother as if she can’t understand her.
    7. I think that Amy Tan just wanted to get her story out there. It’s important for people understand how immigrants live as well as the children of these immigrants. It could also help other children of immigrants understand how their parents are, like if they’re also doin the same what Amy was doin and see how they are speaking differently.
    8. i always speak differently when I’m at home with my parents then when i am outside. It’s the same situation as the authors as i usually use simpler English with my parents. But funnily enough my family does that for me because i can’t speak Spanish as good as them. I’m always asking what somethin means when they’re talkin to me so it’s the same for them with me. I dont even know how my Spanish is bad since all they do is speak Spanish because my parent’s English isn’t the greatest. Maybe they made me speak English to them that i learned at school so they could learn as much as they could with me. That’s probably it but their english has gotten better and my Spanish is just alright, i can understand it and speak it a good amount. I just get words messed around.
  8. pinkmangos (Alicia)

-This text is extremely relatable to me and my mother’s form of communication. My grandmother grew up and lived in Dominican Republic throughout her whole life, and came to the United States for a better life for her and her children. Because of her not understanding and studying customs before arriving, she never knew how to speak “proper English”. Yet, as Amy kept mentioning in her text, that form of “broken English” has stuck with me and I considered it as my own version of English.

-This text is about Amy Tan and her mother form of communication when it comes to English and how that affects the environment of her mother. There has been several times in which her mother has gotten mistreated and looked as less then just because of her “broken English”. Even though Amy had to help her mother communicate several times, her mother’s English will always be apart of her and her upbringing, even including it in her book, The Joyluck Club.

-I believe it could be a memoir.

-She is talking about how her way of speaking changes depending on who she is talking to. Compared to her mother, she speaks more fluently and longer when it comes to other groups of people. When talking to her mother, it is very short and to the point.

-I believe mother tongue is the way Amy and her mother communicate with one another, how the language socially may not be perfect but they both understand each other and are having meaningful conversations.

-At a younger age, Amy was very embarrassed by her mother’s form of speaking, often getting upset because she has to “save” her mother from several situation. She would be called in to speak for her mother and to help her resolve any situation. However, she started to respected her mother’s English once she starts to realize that her mother’s English was apart of her own English.

-Again, my mother main language is Spanish. Due to this, her English is simple and she doesn’t understand concept such as grammar or social norms. An example would be – “Have a good day.” “Ok.” Or – “How are you.” “Ok.” Or even “Are you going to purchase this item?” “Ok”. As you can see, my mothers English isn’t the best. I mainly speak to her in Spanish, however there will be times where I must speak in English. My English will be become very limited and would be very simple. However, if I am having a meeting or doing a presentation, I will speak in full length and will try to incorporate a lot of vocabulary.

9. Tonny Lin

1. This text connect to me personally as I also have  parents that don’t speak english and when they try, I understand it myself but to other it will be hard. This text really went into depth of how she grew up with her mother who didn’t speak much english

2. It is about the author’s relationship with her mother and how she grew up with her mother who has broken english, when only she can understand her while other something can’t at times.

3. I think this is a slice of life of the author’s childhood and how she grew and look back on her past

4. When she speak to other people she uses standard form of english that she learn at school and through books which is more formal, other then when she speaks with her mother

5. It is the english that the author and her mother understands and grew up with and came to an understanding with.

6. When she was a child she thought of her mother’s english as annoying because she has to be the one who has to interpret what her mother means to other people as other won’t understand her mother clearly. As she grew older she came to an understanding with her mother’s english and think is just fine and don’t wanna call it broken but it is.

7.She wrote this article to talk about how she grew up with her mother’s broken english and how she came to an understanding with it  so other can relate to her such as child’s of immgrants who is just trying their best to provide for them

8.When I email a teacher I use more formal english such as a dear in the beginning and thank at the end while when I speak with my friend I just use words and phrase to react to them and to communicate with them because it just feel more nature to me 

10. Ronald Weise

• I think this text was really good and straight to the point with what it was tryna tell you and it was a lot better then “how to read like a writer.”
    • The difficulties that her mother has being that she is Chinese and how people take advantage of the language barrier that occurs and how Tan uses her language(English) to help her overcome that barrier
    • I believe the genre of this text is a Essay or Story article and the tone is negative the show people that what happen to her mother was wrong
    • What the other means by saying that is since English is not her first language hers is different from people at school and she speaks different English when it’s home vs when she as school
    • I think what she means by mother tongue is the way she switches her English when she is speaking to her mom
    • When she was a child she wasn’t really a fan of how her mother spoke English but as she grew up she realized that she shouldn’t feel a certain way about how she speaks but to look at how it affects her
    • I think the author wrote this article for other kids of immigrants to see because they might be able to relate to this store because English might not be there first or strongest language
    • Two different forms of speaking that I use is that when I’m with my friends I speak different then how I speak at home because I treat my parents with a lot more respect and I joke a lot more with my friends
  11. Taharqa Rogers

1. This text shows insight into immigrants specifically those of Asian descent and how that culture is intermingled with America. This is an interesting text.  
    2. This text is mostly about the English language and how it is understood by Americans differentiating it from how Chinese speakers learn and speak the language. The author Amy Tan gives some personal insight due to her experience as an Asian American.  
    3. The genre of the text is a narrative anecdote. It was written with an emotional tone. 
    4. Amy Tan is talking about how she talks or communicates differently with different people. Her different “Englishes” are lengthy standard professional English when talking to Americans, and “simple” or “broken” English when talking to her mother. 
    5. The phrase mother tongue is used to represent the broken English or simple English that she speaks due to her native Chinese tongue.  
    6. Amy Tan used to think that her mother’s English was imperfect and would be embarrassed by her “broken” English. This is seen in this quote from the text, “and I was sitting there red-faced and quiet, and my mother, the real Mrs. Tan, was shouting at his boss in her impeccable broken English.” Over time Amy sees how unique her mom’s English is and thinks her mother’s English is perfectly clear perfectly natural. This realization was driven by growing up and understanding that the mother’s tongue is perfectly natural to her and doesn’t stop her from expressing herself.  
    7. Amy Tan wrote this article to give insight into the English language. Her intended audience can be American immigrants preferably those of Asian background. 
    8. When speaking to friends via text I tend to not use perfect grammatical English. Slang to me is the best and simplest way to get across information to someone that I know. Some phrases I would use are, “wyd”, “wtf”, â€ślol, etc. This language differs when I’m speaking to someone professionally such as my professor. I make sure that there are no grammatical errors and use perfect English in my responses. I make sure to end sentences with correct punctuation, etc. When talking to someone professionally you’re usually talking to someone you don’t know so you do not share that same bond you might have with texting slang to a friend. Also, it’s just culture to speak “properly” in a professional setting.  
  12. Allison Tang

1. I thought it was interesting how as an Asian American, my experience was different from the author’s.
    2. The text is about the author’s experience growing up with her mother who is not able to speak English well and how it influences her view of language. She also talks about some of the hardships her mother had to face because of the language barrier.
    3. I think it is a personal narrative.
    4. With her mother she uses “broken” or “simple” English while she uses more advanced English in her book The Joy Luck Club.
    5. “Mother tongue” is the way she communicates with her mother.
    6. As a child she felt ashamed of her mother’s English but as she grew up, she becomes more understanding of her mother.
    7. I think she wrote it so that people who share a similar experience with her can relate to her. Her intended audience is children of immigrants.
    8. When I talk to my friends, we use a lot of slang and abbreviations and when I talk to my parents, I use a mix of Chinese and English.
  13. Anthony Guerrero

• I found the text to be interesting because people who speak English as their first language get to understand or get an understanding of some of the factors that people who never spoke English well encounter, such as speaking broken English or have difficulty understanding what a certain sentence means.
    • The text is mostly about the author talking about her personal experiences with having a family that doesn’t speak proper English, mainly her mother who is often talked about during the story. She also then mixes some of her personal achievements in the story such as her writing drafts of stories and other related stuff.
    • The genre of the text is a personal narrative or personal essay.
    • The different Englishes that Amy Tan is referring to is the way she speaks to other people. When in a professional standpoint, she speaks fluent, proper English, unlike how when she talks to her mother, which is broken and childish sounding so her mother can understand more clearly.
    • The term “mother tongue” is used to describe how her mother speaks the language. 
    • Amy Tan had believed that her mothers poor English reflected the quality of her speech since her speech was improper. She also thought the way her mom spoke English was “embarrassing” it changes due to the author growing up and realizing that the way that her mom speaks English is sort of her identity. 
    • I think Amy wrote the article because she could’ve felt like other people have the same experiences where their parents can’t speak proper English, so I feel like that could be the intended audience.
    • The way I talk to my Grandmother is different from the way I talk to my mom, because my grandmother speaks really well Spanish, but not that great English. For me I cannot speak or understand Spanish so I have to talk to my grandmother in a sort of broken way.
  14. Danielle

To me personally, this text is relatable because I grew up with primarily Spanish speakers in my household. My grandmother and mom are both immigrants like Amy Tans mother and speak “simple” English as well. Unfortunately, growing up I used to view my family how Amy viewed her mom because of how she spoke English. I used to think that because their English was “limited” their thoughts were limited as well which was childish and ignorant thinking. 

This reading is mostly about the “different English’s” Amy Tan speaks and how she uses them. She explains her upbringing and how she uses “simple” English to communicate with her mom and her husband. I think this reading is also about how even though someones English vocabulary is not advanced it doesn’t mean that their thoughts are less intelligent. 

Amy Tans “Mothers Tongue” is a personal narrative. I feel the tone of this reading is humbling.

When Tan says “Recently, I was made keenly aware of the different Englishes I do use.” She means that she realized how many forms of English she speaks. She uses a simpler form of English when speaking to her mother and when speaking in professional settings she’d use a more advanced form of English using proper grammar and bigger vocabulary. 

The term “mothers tongue” means the way her mom speaks and voices her opinions, thoughts and ideas.

As a child, Amy was embarrassed by her mom’s English because she thought it wasn’t “up to par” and noticed how other people would treat her mom because of it. She thought because her mom’s English was limited that her thoughts and ideas were limited and non-important as well. Over time she began to realize that is not true. The way her mom spoke English did not reflect her intelligence or the quality of her thoughts. I think she realized that if she was going through this at home, then other Asian American kids were as well and probably facing the same problems she was at school in English class. 

I think Amy Tan wrote this for mainly kids of Asian immigrants but this can be relatable to almost all immigrant families. To show them that they aren’t alone and that other people go through the same things at home with their families that don’t speak English as their first language. And usually, kids whose first language isn’t English struggle in school in English and they gravitate towards math because numbers are a universal thing to understand, and their teachers probably push them in that direction as well but she is showing that regardless of the struggle and doubts she was still able to become a successful writer. And still, write in a way her mom can comprehend. 

Different languages I use in my life are English, simple Spanish, and simple English. When I speak to my grandparents and the rest of my family out of the states, they are primarily Spanish speakers who know little English, I speak to them in simple Spanish because I am not fluent or simple English because they aren’t fluent. 

15. Biana

1.My mother only speaks Haitian creole and a little bit of French, similar to Amy Tan’s mother, and she also speaks “simple” English, so to me, this text is very similar to me because I didn’t have the support when I moved here to learn how to speak English fluently. I also had to work hard to support my mother. She’s not very good, though, and when I go out with her and witness her speaking in public, I don’t feel ashamed; instead, I get angry at how other people taunt her and stare at her oddly.

2.The text is about the author’s struggles and how her mother, who speaks Simple English, was perceived by society, which influenced her to strive hard.

3.The genra is a personal essay

4.She is claiming that she has many different ways of speaking to others, such as at work, at home, and at school. For example, in the text, she stated that “the forms of English I did not use at home with my mother.” This means that she has different ways of speaking depending on who she is speaking to or the environment she is in.

5.She uses it to characterize her mother’s English as imperfect and limited.

6.Amy Tan’s perspective was that her mother’s level of English affected the way she spoke poorly and made her feel embarrassed in front of others. However, as she grew older, she came to realize that her mother’s English speaking style is acceptable once she started to put herself in her mother’s position and comprehend her viewpoints.

7.Amy Tan developed this book for immigrant children who are in a similar position to her own in order to let them know that they are not the only ones in the world who struggle with having family members who don’t speak English as their first language.

8.The way I speak English depends on where I am and who I am speaking to. For instance, when I am at home, I speak Haitian Creole because my mother does not speak English well, but I maintain the same tone as when I’m in school. However, when I am with my friends, my language completely changes.

16. Martin Olldashi

I really like this text because I could relate to it. Growing up in an immigrant house hold my parents were very limited with there English, and I felt the same way as the author.

This passage was about a girl named Amy who’s parents came to America from China. The parents had limited English language knowledge and the girl when she was little was ashamed of her parents. But as she grew older she was proud and learned how to embrace her culture.

The genre was a personal story about the girls experience with adversity towards her parents english. The tone in the beginning of the story was very disappointing but later the tone changed to being prions and patriotic.

I think by different English’s she means the ways we talk English with different people. Some of us may talk a lot more formal with others and we may talk in a certain slang with people closer to us.

I think when she says mothers tongue she means her mothers accent and limited grammar and English.

As a child Amy was ashamed and dissatisfied with here mothers English. Over time she learns to embrace her mothers imperfect English and is proud of her culture.

I think she wrote this for those kids who may feel ashamed of there parents limited English. She wants them to learn to embrace there family. Her intended audience was for children of immigrants.

I speak 2 different languages Albanian and English. When I speak albanian I have to speak with a certain tone and grammar, I speak albanian with my family and relatives. I speak English with my brother, friends and educators. I speak English  and Albanian in 2 ways formal and informal.

17. Brandon Berdosana

• I liked this text because I was able to get an inside view of being an outsider. I was able to feel her Frustration and her emotions within her writing which allowed me to pertain what I was reading.
    • After reading the journal, Tan speaks about the many “Englishes” She has been raised with and how they function to the different environments she’s in. She goes on and explains how these Englishes shaped who she was as a reader and as a writer.
    • I believe the genre of this text is a reflective journal. I say this because Tan tells the story of her life and with feedback/ how she reflects on events. The tone is overall humorous and she pokes fun at the different difficult situations she experienced while young.
    • Amy Tan referes to “mother tongue” as the specific type of way her mother communicates. Tan also includes examples of the way that her mother communicates. And how it was difficult for her and how scary it was to not be able to help her mom when she is not around.
    • As a child she was upset always having to be there for mother all the time. However as she grew, she discovers that the English her mother spoke was acceptable and she embraces her mother for being who she is.
    • I believe Amy Tan wrote this to inform immigrants, who just like her feel like an outcast or different. She’s writing this to emphasize how common it is to have broken English. And how language can influence you as a reader and writer.
    • You know it’s funny. You cannot talk to everyone the same. That is what I am currently learning at my job. You cannot talk to everyone the same way because everyone won’t react the same way. Therefore when speaking to an professor I must be professional. I must use my ‘high class’ English. But if I’m just chilling with the gang then I am able to use the English I am most comfortable speaking. In which I am able to speak freely without consequence or disrespect.