PowerPoint and Homework: Aug. 29th

Welcome!

Welcome to English 1101! Before each class, I will post the day’s PowerPoint and Homework Assignment.

Today’s (Mon. Aug. 29th) PowerPoint: Here is the link! 

Homework: 

REMINDER: The Assignment is Due BEFORE the start of class on Wednesday. 

Homework PART 1:

JOIN OpenLab and explore the website! Don’t worry, you can’t break it! Play around, check it out, see what is on the site! 

Homework PART 2:

WRITE Complete the Introductory Writing Assignment below. **Write your response in the comment box below. Make sure to save the comment. Sometimes, I have to approve posts before they show up so if you do not see it right away, do not worry! 

• Start with one word that describes how you’re feeling about this course as we get started. No need to explain, but you can if you want to. 
  • Talk about your worries, concerns, reactions to the readings and/or to being an in person student or a college student in general… whatever you want to. No censoring… except keep it kind of clean, please ;-). And a little bit about you as a reader and a writer! 
  • What is one thing you would like me to know about you as a reader / writer?
  • What do you like about reading? What is hard for you when you read? What type of reading do you like to do (books, magazines, Websites, etc)? What type of reading is hard for you? Be specific!
  • What do you like about writing? What is hard for you when you write? What genre do you like to write in (stories, poems, nonfiction, essays, etc)? What type of writing is hard for you? Be specific!
  • What language do you prefer to read and write in?
  • Where do you like to read (bed, subway, etc)? Do you like to read in a quiet environment or a loud busy environment? Be specific!
  • What genres do you prefer to read in (mysteries, adventures, romance, science fiction, fantasy, etc.)? What is/ are an author(s) you have enjoyed reading? What was the first book you remember reading and enjoying? Be specific!
  • What genre do you like to write in (stories, journals, songs, poems, essays, etc)? What type of writing is hard for you? Be specific!
  • What are you really good at as a reader and a writer?

1. Andy Zheng

1.Before starting my first English class in college, I felt very nervous. The reason is that I don’t know if there is a difference between English classes in college and English classes in high school.
    2.My concerns about being an online student are reflected in the classroom environment. In an unfamiliar environment you don’t know if you can relax and take this course seriously.
    3.If I were a writer. I want the writer to understand the circumstances under which the writer creates the story.
    4.I like to read about international news on the website. The hard part for me to read is the technical terminology.
    5.I like to write poetry. The difficulty with writing for me is the lack of inspiration. Or my mind will be interrupted because I think of other things.
    6.I like to read and write in Chinese. For me, Chinese is my native language, and I prefer to read books or magazines that I understand well.
    7.I like to read in bed, because the quiet environment and no unwanted noise makes me more calm and read.
    8.I like to write diaries and songs and things like that. Because I have a huge passion for music and documenting life. I think stories are a difficult type of writing for me. It takes a wealth of ideas to write a story of praise.
    9.What I do best as a writer is to incorporate my own emotions and experiences into a story. Let those readers who feel the same can actively participate in the development of the story.

2. Christopher Mathurin

1.I feel worried about my first time in this class.
    2.The only concern I have is the amount of work that is going to be assigned and what the test are going to be like.
    3.What I want you you to know about me as a reader is that I don’t enjoy reading for long periods of time
    4.What I like about reading is that it’s relaxing. What I think is hard for me to read is poetry because I don’t know why but it annoys me. I don’t usually read regular books I usually read manga and novels.
    5. The thing I like about writing is a ability to express what I want freely. What’s hard for me to write is story’s and poems because sometime coming up with some thing can put me
    at a block.
    6. The language I prefer to write in is English.
    7.I like to read in bed in a quiet area or while playing music.
    8.i prefer to read comedy and action as my genres. My favorite authors right now are Muneyuki Kaneshiro, and Eiichiro Oda. the first book that I enjoyed reading was the BONE series.
    9. I enjoy writing essays. what’s hard for me to write is poems and stories.
    10.i think the best thing I’m doing when writing is explaining

3. Taharqa Rogers

1. Exuberant.
    2. I want to see if college is as challenging as I think. I’m concerned if maybe I am too confident or maybe not prepared at all. Either way, I will try my best.
    3. I am a great reader and an even better writer. I can write essays proficiently.
    4. When reading I enjoy imagining the events of the story and trying to put myself in the situation at hand. Despite my enjoyment of reading, I find it hard to comprehend lengthy walls of texts such as novels. I read a lot of adventure books as well as online books.
    5. Writing helps me reach unparalleled levels of focus; it’s almost therapeutic. Although I can manage it’s hard to write about something I’m not interested in. I write mostly nonfiction essays based on a topic. I prefer this because I enjoy the research that goes into it.
    6. I prefer to read and write in English.
    7. I like to read in my room sitting by my desk. It’s a very quiet space for me.
    8. When reading I look for genres such as comedy and adventure. Some authors I enjoy reading from are Raina Telgemeier, Madeleine L’Engle, and Kazu Kibuishi, First book I remember and enjoyed reading is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
    9. I enjoy writing in essay format as it is one of my core strengths.
    10. As a reader I am good at finding underlying themes as well as predicting the resolution of the story. As a writer, I specialize in both narrative and persuasive writing.

4. Giselle Tlapechco

I feel a little worried that the work given in this course may be too overwhelming at first but I know it will only prepare me for other classes.
    I still don’t feel like a college student because everything is still new to me but the main concern is how I will be able deal with changes for example new school, schedule, classroom, classmates, and professors. I went from being a senior in high school to a college freshman, a repeating cycle of experienced to unexperienced. As a reader and writer I tend to take my time when I don’t understand and I take breaks to refresh my thoughts. Sometimes I like writing non stop and then go back and fix things or add to my work. Same thing for reading when I don’t understand a part I continue to read hoping the context clues will help me understand the part I had trouble with.
    As a reader and writer I like seeing models or very detailed directions on what to do if a question is too vague I don’t know where to start or how to start.
    I enjoy reading mystery and thriller books, suspenseful books are fun because sometimes I just cant stop reading. I prefer physical books because ebooks can be tiring from staring at a screen for too long once in a while I like reading webtoons. Books that have two point of view confuse me so I tend to avoid them or books with history are usually hard for me to read because of the many dates.
    I like having freedom in writing such as writing about my own opinion on a topic but sometimes when it comes to research papers it can be hard to add evidence to every word and thought because of the many connections.
    I prefer to read in english because my english is better than spanish since I dont practice literacy in spanish. I would hope to read spanish books but I just know I would have difficulty.
    I really like reading at home or anywhere that I have space to pull out a book, on busy days I would read in subways.
    The genres I enjoy reading are mysteries and thrillers. I’m still trying to find an author I really enjoy reading but I have to mention that the author I’m currently reading from, Sonora Reyes, seems to be the writing style I’ve been searching for. I will definitely look more into her work. My first book that I really enjoyed reading was “The Giver” by Lois Lowry the book was better than the movie. I remember reading the book first and then watching the movie and it was disappointing.
    I really like journaling because I tend to write what’s on my mind without I don’t feel restricted. Poems are really hard because of the amount of creativity in order for words combined to have a deeper meaning. Most poems I read are short and the less words there are the more difficult it is.
    As a reader I’m good at keeping a pace and making sure I’m on track if there are certain goals I want to meet. As a writer Im good at coming up with ideas and just building my work off it.

5. Jiamei Chen

1. Was bit worried
    2. I like reading sometime , but on those genre I’m interest in.
    3. I like to read more than write.
    4. I like to read genres, that I like. Type of reading I like to do, is book and websites.
    5. I like to write poem, and stories.
    6.I prefer English, even though I speak mandarin but don’t know how to read or write.
    7. I like to read in my room, in a quiet environment. Because it’s make me better understand what’s the book is really about.
    8. Genre I like to read, mystery, romance, horror. The author I had enjoy reading is Colleen Hoover
    9. I enjoy writing essay, but poem and stories in the other hand, it’s hard.
    10. I think I’m better at writing, because I can emprise the feeling and write it down.

6. Shirley Hun

1.I feel nervous about this class. But I’m excited too, because compared to other subjects I enjoy English the most.

2.This will be my first year at city tech and college in general. I’m worried about my adjustment to a new building, with unfamiliar people. I’m not sure how the course load will look as well.

3.As a writer I have tendencies to overwrite.
    I believe that there is so much to say on just a single idea or topic.

4.I love how when reading I’m able to immerse my self sometimes, it allows me to feel connected to certain characters too. But its hard to stay focus if I don’t get interested from the get go. I like books, based on true stories, and manga stories. I struggle with magazines and informational texts, because I tend to get bored.

5.I like writing because there is definitely more freedom. I struggle on pacing myself, and it takes time for me to have a spark to follow with. While I enjoy essays, writing stories is the hardest because it requires me to be more creative.

6.I prefer to use English to read and write since it’s my native language.

7.I like to read in my room and on my bed. I cant stand loud environments since it’s hard to concentrate, so I prefer quieter ones.

8.I like romance, nonfiction, and mysteries and I don’t have a favorite author. I remember my first book I enjoyed was “I am Malala” back in middle school. It was very empowering to read.

9.I like to write essays, and dislike stories. I think it’s very hard to come up with a interesting and cohesive story.

10.In writing I’m good with details, and explaining something. As a reader I’m good at picking up emotions and tones in a story.

7. Sophie Sall

1. Apprehensive.
    2. For this semester, I don’t know if I am gonna do well and if the english course is going to be hard.
    3. As a writer, I like the keep texts simple and concise. I wish I liked reading, but unfortunately every time I try to read a book I fall asleep.
    4. What I like about reading is that it helps you gain knowledge. When I read it’s hard for me to stay focused. I like to read personal development books. I find it hard to read historical books.
    5. What I like about writing is that it helps you free your mind. When I write, it’s hard for me to justify my arguments. I like to write essays. I find it hard to write poems.
    6. I like to read in French and write in english.
    7. I barely read but when I do, I like to be at home or in a quiet environment.
    8. I like to read mysteries. I enjoyed reading Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt and Paulo Coelho.
    9. I like to write journals. I find it hard to write poems.
    10. As a writer, I am good at finding good arguments.

8. Biana

1) I’m feelings nervous about this course since it’s a new beginning for me I hope that I pass this class before the semester end. I enjoy English class I love when I get to learn new word.
    2) since this is my first year in college, I’m feelings a little bit worries about me doing grade because I don’t want my fear to get over me. Being in person is a good experience because it helped me to know the school better and meet new people and to make friends and it also help me feel more comfortable with school because the transition with in person to online was so rough and I had to learn a lot about how to upload all my works online and in google classroom

3) As a writer I over underestimate my ability when it’s comes to write

4) I like when I’m reading I put myself in the same shoes as the actor, what’s hard for me when I’m reading is that I get stress and overwhelmed when the books is not in comics and the writing styles makes it hard for me sometimes.

5)my preferences about writing is that I love when I write when all sought of ideas put up in my heads and it’s feel like a bird I can express myself. putting them in orders because when I write I plans to write all what’s comes on my mind and I don’t pay attention on when to stop ad put periods when the sentence is to long .I love to writes poem. The hard part of writing for me is the beginning

6) I prefer to write in English and Haitian-creole reads in English, Haitian-creole, French

7) I like to read in my room where it’s quiets and be on my own space and plays some K-pop songs behind to make it more lively.

8) I prefer to read fantasy, romance, comics and no favorites author. I remember the first book I enjoyed was to kill Mockingbird, this book inspired me.

9)I like to write stories and poem. It’s very hard to comes up with a hooks to catch the read attention
    10) As a writer I’m good at explain the main points of the stories and gave a lot of details. as a reader I’m really good at taking notes and having a good understanding off the author narrative

9. Ronald Weise

1.
    I was feeling annoyed because I had went to the wrong class because of a mistake on my blackboard so I was a bit late
    2.
    I am worried about not knowing anyone in my class and since it’s the start of the semester and a new school for me
    3.
    As a reader I like to read engaging text that are straight to the point with no hidden meaning so basically clear text and story
    4.
    I like reading to past the time because if I’m reading a good book the time can fly really fast and I can relax
    5.
    Writing for me helps me clear my thoughts and I like the freedom I have when I am fighting about something I wanna write about or have fun writing about
    6.
    I prefer English because that is my First and main language
    7.
    I don’t read a lot but when I do I read in bed till I fall asleep after a while
    8.
    The genre that I prefer to read is action and mystery because these stories tend to be the most interesting
    9.
    I like writing stories I hate being stuck answering a question
    10.
    I’m good at understanding the plot of a story and figuring the main purpose of the characters

10. Jaden Schultz-Glenn

1. I feel at ease
    2. My worries and concerns are just if I’ll be able to comprehend and understanding everything that’ll be taught, I know in college its a different ball game which consist of a lot of writing
    3. As a reader I don’t like to read to be honest but as a writer I love to write
    4. What’s hard for me when reading is understanding what I am actually reading, I prefer to skim through magazines and I would read informative websites
    5. What I like about writing it is a way to just express yourself and just let whatever you thinking about just flow to the paper. I prefer to write stories and I just started writing poems more
    6. I prefer to read and write in English
    7. I would preferably read in park surrounded by nature
    8. I would prefer reading romance and adventure stories
    9. I like to write in journals
    10. As a writer I am good at coming up with ideas

11. Tonny Lin

1. Tired
    2. I am a freshman and don’t except much as of now and only hope that the course is not going to be that hard.
    3. I don’t like to write that much because I can’t get the correct words out but I like to keep my writing simple and straight to the point. As a reader I only read manga and sometimes light novels.
    4. As I mention before I only like reading manga or comic of those sort. As for what I found hard in reading is when I encounter something that I don’t understand clearly or multiple words that I don’t know
    5. I only write when I am assign to do so. I am not much of a write myself and I find it hard writing something with a high word count
    6. English
    7. I like to read on my bed with music playing in the background anytype works
    8. I read all type of genre and don’t have a prefer type, it is about what is inside book and how they bring it out
    9. The last genre I wrote in is SF because of an assignment of alien species along with that comes with world creation. But in the end I don’t like to write
    10. As I writer I am good at keeping it simple and straight to the point and as a reader I can just read but something fail to understand thing

12. Lourdes

1. Nervous
    2. I’m worried because I’m new to the school and I don’t know anybody and I have to adjust to a new place
    3. What I like about reading is whenever I’m reading a book that I’m really into I feel as if I’m inside of the story and because I enjoy the book so much a lot of time would go by. It’s really relaxing.
    4. What I like the most about writing is that I am able to express myself, especially when writing poems
    5. I prefer to read and write in English
    6. I like to read in my bed because it’s comfortable and its also really quiet so I can read in peace
    7. I prefer to read horror, romance, and fantasy books, I have no favorite author.
    8. I enjoy writing poems, essays are hard for me
    9. I’m better at reading

13. Danielle

Honestly, I am feeling just a little anxious regarding this course because this is my third time taking it lol but the third times a charm haha. My first time taking this course was my first semester in college when all classes were still remote so it was a difficult transition for me and unfortunately I couldn’t adjust. I tried again my second semester and ended up withdrawing from the class 3 months in because of an issue I was having with my professor at the time. Nonetheless, I am still really excited for this semester and to finally complete English 1101.

I’ve actually always enjoyed reading since I was a little girl, as long as the content is interesting so I wouldn’t say I have any concerns regarding the readings. I would say writing is not my strong suit though, because I do procrastinate a lot, and it’s usually hard for me to start a writing piece and get in the flow. I also don’t enjoy writing about myself much I don’t know why.

Growing up I liked reading fiction, novels, and suspense books. Even horror sometimes but now I find myself liking self-development and financial literacy books.

I don’t enjoy writing as much as I stated previously but I prefer to write in essay form most. I think I like writing argumentative papers the most too. The only times I enjoyed writing essays were in my marketing class. I always have a hard time writing personal narratives.

I prefer to read in write in English.

I like to read and overall work in quiet spaces. Maybe a Library but almost always my room.

I remember enjoying the books “The Art of Racing in the Rain” by Garth Stein and “13 reasons why” by Jay Asher.

As a reader, I would say I’m good at fluency and also memorizing what I have read. As a writer, I think that I am good at staying engaging.

14. Jesus

1. I am feeling ready for about this course. It could be fun and I am going to have an open mind going into it so I’m feeling ready and prepared.
    2. I like being in person student as I’m back to having a routine. I also dont have to sit at my computer all day which is great I hated that in 2020. Learning in person is way better.
    3. I enjoy reading
    4. Reading can be relaxing so finding a good book or anything to read is great and something I enjoy to do sometimes. I like to read anything as long as I find it interesting like novels and comics the news etc.
    5. I like writing anything to be honest I’ll write poems and essays anything i like getting caught up in writing. I would say argumentative writing is hard for me to write though, doing all the research is sort of boring to me especially when i get put on the side of an argument i dont agree with.
    6. I read and write in English but I can also read and sort of write in Spanish
    7. I like reading anywhere. I can read in a quiet or loud environment it doesn’t matter to me
    8. I think I’m good at reading analysis as a reader. I dont know what I’m good at as a writer

15. Omar Apreza

1. Interested
    2 I’m a little bit worried on how to give credit on to a text book and how I need time management.
    3 As a reader I would usually read twice to make sure understand it better or word it better.
    4 what I like about reading is understanding the book having the image in my head in a quiet room but what i mostly don’t like is getting distracted to easy what type of book I like is a plot twist story.
    5 what I like about reading is explaining my self what I think of the book is. And that what was hard for was that the person reading my writing is to understand my point of the story. The type of genre I like to write about is talking about a plot twist on why this didn’t happened instead of that.
    6 I prefer ti read in English to understand more but I’m willing to read more about Spanish.
    7 where I like to read is in my room it make me focus and nothing is disturbing me or making noise.
    8 what prefer reading in is drama that makes the book more interesting. And that a book that I like reading was othello that had action, drama, and romance.
    9 what I like to write in is an essay that explains the story what happens. But what hard for me to understand and write about is poems.
    10 what I’m good at as a reader and a writer is that I stay focused to understand or word it better for me or other people would see my point.

16. Andrea ortiz

1) nervous
    2) I’m worried about the transition from high school to college
    3) I enjoy reading more than writing
    4) what I like about reading is that whenever I’m stressed it helps me take my of things
    5)what I like about reading is that I could express myself and get my point across with my words
    6)I prefer to read in Spanish and English and write in English
    7) I like to be in a quiet place when reading
    8) I like to read mysteries and horror books
    9) I enjoy writing essays but find writing poems to be hard

17. Anthony Guerrero

1. Exhilarated
    2. My main concern is just trying not to succumb to procrastination because I know myself and I will save work to be done at the very last minute, hence why this is being written the night before this assignment is due.
    3. Now thing you should know as a reader is that I tend to read whatever is given to me, then I’ll immediately forget what I had just read.
    4. I like how you can be more expressive and how expressions are told as to movies, sometimes trying to interpret the bigger picture of what is being told is hard for me because when I read I don’t try and come up with a million theories.
    5. What I like about writing is that anyone has the ability to make art. Some stories are a work of art of their own and people can make this art utilizing their creative thinking and wordplay. What I find difficult when I write is that after a while I start to run out of things to say, so I tend to loop back to my old sayings just to meet the word limit on an essay, so when I heard that papers were going to be 1600 words long my heart sunk. I think writing research papers are difficult because not only do you have to search up an unholy amount of information about that topic, you have to make sure it’s all accurate.
    6. English
    7. On my bed or in a nice quiet environment
    8. If I’m going to be honest I don’t read enough for me to actually have a preference for genre but i’ll read a book if I need to get a good grade, the first book I remember picking up was the brown Diary of a Wimpy kid, never finished it too.
    9. I like to write argumentative essays
    10. I can say that I am good at spotting errors when reading but I cannot say the same for when I write anything, there is probably some errors right now.

18. pinkmangos (Alicia)

-Excited.
    -My only concern is burning out. There is a lot of work in this course and I need to have my time management skills at a max for this class. I need to stay on top and I am worried that it will lead to me being stressed.
    – I really enjoy the aspect of storytelling and being able to shape out a world with just words. I’m not a huge fan when it comes to reading literature (partially because I always have something to complain about), but I do like it when the writer pays attention to detail and sensory imagery.
    -English.
    -I like to read in my bedroom, with no sounds. Maybe a bit of white noise will help such as my AC.
    -I believe my favorite genre will have to be Dystopian and Utopian fiction. This genre always intrigues me cause sometime they can give us an insight in our own society and how it will lead to this corrupted world. A book that I was reading on and off last year was The Handmade Tale. The first I remember reading was actually “The Little Red Hen”, mainly because I found the artwork really adorable and it will forever be a comforting book for me.
    -I really enjoy writing poetry. I just like the variety of aspects I can add to make work, such as making a line longer or choosing were to put punctuation. I have a difficult time writing long winded stories. I also focus on one detail of the writing and not putting enough effort into the rest of my story. (ex- focusing only on the beginning and slacking off towards the end)

• pinkmangos (Alicia)

Final question – I’m really good at finding and creating hidden meanings and trying to figure out the purpose of symbolism.

19. idhraq1

1. Relaxed. I feel like this english course will go like the last english courses I’ve taken.
    2. I’m worried whether the readings will take a lot of time or not. If a lot of the day is taken up by these readings it may be hard to handle the workload.
    3. As a writer I like to keep things short and concise. As a reader, I don’t really enjoy it much but if it’s informative and/or interesting I’ll read it.
    4. I like it when I read something and it makes me think a lot. However, if I’m not interested in the subject then reading can be a slog for me. I read online recently, but I don’t read books often
    5. I like it when I finally get the ball rolling when writing and writing that thing, usually like an essay, comes smoothly. But writing fiction and stories is what is difficult for me because I often get caught up in the many things those stories use like characters, themes, etc and I constantly want to change it.
    6. I use English
    7. I don’t really read often but when I do I prefer when it’s quiet
    8. I prefer action the most, and things like science fiction or fantasy I like too. I’ll read a lot of things as long as it hooks me in.
    9. I like writing stuff like nonfiction or analysis’s since theyre easy to do cause they arent very creative. It’s hard writing fiction for me as there’s a lot more to handle.
    10. I’m good at analyzing evidence and relating the narrative to the real world.

20. Joshua Pierre

1.Comfortable
    2.I don’t really have any worries really, I know that things are only going to get tougher from here and I’m prepared for it.
    3.I’ve been pretty decent at writing all my life.
    4.I don’t normally read. In fact, I don’t read at all except for things like comments or text and stuff. In fact, I don’t even remember the last time I read a book, probably 9th grade.
    5.I like writing essays not like crazy because I say that now but then once I’m assigned one it’s like, now I actually have to do it. I have trouble with poems. I never understood how to write a well written poem and not just rhyming that’s boring, like a deep connection that will have you either dying of laughter or touching your soul.
    6.English
    7.If I do ever end up reading again, I’d prefer a quiet space with no distractions
    8.Fiction books are where it’s at. Last book i remember reading was the outsiders
    9.Nonfiction writing gives me the chance to acquire information that would be useful to get the task done.
    10.As a reader I’m really good at zooming past fast but still analyzing. I don’t know if I could still do it now but it’s worth the try. As a writer I’m really good at getting the audience’s attention with the right hook and its game right there.

21. Martin Olldashi

1. Anxious
    2. I am worried that college is going to be overwhelming and that I will have a lot of stress. I am also nervous because of the way college classes are taught, it is very different from high school and a big change in someone’s education. I like to write more than I like to read.
    3. One thing I would like you to know is that I am able to express myself more in writing.
    4. I like reading non fiction and articles about the world and its nature. I don’t like reading poetry because it is hard to understand what the author means when he or she writes those lines. It is difficult for me to find the hidden story behind the written lines.
    5. I like writing because I can express myself and show that I have knowledge on a topic.It is hard for me to write poetry because of the difficulty of finding words that rhyme that I can use in a line.
    6. English is my preferred language to read and write in
    7. I like to read at home alone with no noise so that I can completely focus on the reading and fully understand what I am reading.
    8. I like reading science fiction and nonfiction books. This is because I like the idea of reading real stories and story’s about some things that may happen in our future. One of my favorite authors is Ray Bradbury. The first book I remember reading was The Outsiders in the 6th Grade.
    9. I like to write journals and essays because I like having a format in which I should write in.
    10. I am really good at reading in groups because I can understand the story a lot more, and I’m really good at expressing myself and being unique when I write.

22. Brandon B.

1. Eager. Eager to come back and start reading again! Usually a class book we study, encourages me to read the book and more. Eventually I’ll break out. of it…
    2. I’m a little petrified at the fact that if I miss 1 assignment, the next assignment will be a foreign language to me and then I’ll just be blown away with the wind….
    3. One thing you should know about me as a writer is that I like to read fictional stories and I love writing them as well. Our minds can only take us so far…
    4. The fun part about reading is that you can stop at any moment. But the tough part is having to read for long periods of time, especially if it’s a book I am uninterested in.
    5. What I love about writing is how freely and open a writer can write. A blank canvas can become anything so long as the artist is willing. What is hard for a writer like myself, is getting something start. Sometimes you have a good idea but don’t know how to execute it properly.
    6. Is this a rhetorical question (Just kidding…) I prefer to read and write in English.
    7. I can read in most areas. I remember when my morning commute to school was about 2 hours so I would catch up on daily reading with the subway’s crazy environment.
    8. I prefer a romantic, teen, fictional stuff. These books can be very hooking and addicting. (Love, Simon is a good book) (aristotle and dante discover the secrets of the universe) I love John Steinbeck. And The Giver is also a good title.
    9. I like to write journals, poems, essays and that’s about it. I don”t like to read non-fiction stories cause honestly history is just a huge horror show for me.
    10. I’m really good at imaging scenarios in my head and able to put it in on paper.

23. Allison Tang

1. nervous because I struggle with my writing skills
    2. I’m not sure what I want to study and I’m worried about having to balance school and work. I like to read books that have the genre fantasy.
    3. what is your favorite genre?
    4. I prefer reading manga because I have a short attention span. I hate reading articles/ research papers.
    5. I don’t like writing at all especially essays and poems.
    6. English
    7. I enjoy reading when I’m alone so no one will distract me.
    8. The first book I remember enjoying is the magic tree house series which is fantasy.
    9. Journaling would be the least difficult, but I find all kinds of writing to be hard.
    10. I don’t think my reading and writing skills are at the level they should be at.

24. Labiba Farzana

1. Fresh
    2. My main worries about being a college student is online work. I migrated here just a year ago. I am accustomed to studying through pen and paper. During the pandemic, the transition to online was very unnatural to me. I had difficulty keeping up with everyone else. The fact that my time writing or taking notes were going down was aggravating me. I’m worried this might happen again.
    3. I am a fluent reader and writer but since English is not my first language, its hard for me to understand some metaphors and phrases.
    4. The thing I like about reading is the knowledge I can gain from it and my practice of my own fluency. I like reading comedic, fantasy or scientific contents. The paragraphs which are historical or novels with lots of metaphors, becomes hard for me to understand.
    5. One of the reason I like writing because I am used to writing english since youth. It was usually for taking notes. Writing down my lessons help me remember. But I believe my writing style got elevated when I started Self-journaling. So I’d say writing becomes easy when I pour my feelings in my diary
    6. I prefer to read and write in English language.
    7. I like to read in a nice, cute cafe. I love my coffee more than anything, so reading with irregular sips of coffee is top tier for me. Sometimes I play music too while reading. P.s Post Malone is my favorite.
    8. I prefer mystery, adventure and action genre. And my personal favorite is self-development books. They are very direct and on point. My first book was ‘Atomic Habit’ by James Clear. I enjoyed this book a lot because it is packed with information on self development and overcoming my bad habits. He taught me that it is okay if I cannot change my weakness and detrimental habits overnight. Rather I should take it slow. This book is like a 200 page elaboration of ‘Something is better than nothing’ . And that was like a relief to me, which turned to motivation to modify my habits.
    9. The genre I write is journaling. Its hard for me to write poems because I become nervous if my lines make sense, if my words rhyme, if my message is actually portrayed in this poem.
    10. I’m not good at analyzing evidence and relating the narrative to the main messege