HW 5 – Sanders (March 13th)

Name: 

Homework 5: “How coronavirus stress may scramble our brains” by Laura Sanders

Read “How coronavirus stress may scramble our brains” by Laura Sanders and write responses to the following questions . Please be very specific in your response. Add details and examples from the text. Add quotations (and citations!)

1. What did you think of the piece? Be honest! Did you find any parts interesting? Did you learn something new?
  2. Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?
  3. How do you know that this is an example of a feature article? Be specific!
  4. What did you notice about how the author wrote this piece? Maybe the tone (formal, informal, humorous, casual, etc), or the use of ethos (statistics and facts) or the use of pathos (emotion) or the use of logos (logic)?
  5. What stands out to you– what do you like/ dislike about this writer’s style?  What are you confused by? What do you want to know more about? Pay special attention to how this author uses research (outside facts, statistics, history, news, interviews) etc in their writing.
  6. What did you learn from reading this feature article? How did this author use research? How do they use personal experience? Did the author tell any stories (anecdotes)?  

1. Jade

1.   What did you think of the piece? Be honest! Did you find any parts interesting? Did you learn something new?

I thought this piece was interesting because it was science related. I liked the experiment with the maze and showed evidence of how stress can affect you.

2.   Who do you think is the intended audience of the piece? Who is meant to read this text?

I think the intended audience of this piece is for everyone who went through covid and had to deal with stress.

3.   How do you know that this is an example of a feature article? Be specific!

I know that this is an example of a feature article because it has scientific research and connects with her personal life. For example, she starts with how covid made her feel to how covid gave us stress.

4.   What did you notice about how the author wrote this piece? Maybe the tone (formal, informal, humorous, casual, etc), or the use of ethos (statistics and facts) or the use of pathos (emotion) or the use of logos (logic)?

I noticed the author started with the use of pathos by trying to connect with the audience. Then she uses the use of ethos by talking about different stress experiments making it interesting.

5.   What stands out to you– what do you like/ dislike about this writer’s style? What are you confused by? What do you want to know more about? Pay special attention to how this author uses research (outside facts, statistics, history, news, interviews) etc in their writing.

I like scientific research, but some scientific words were hard for me to understand. I’m not sure what more I want to know.

6.   What did you learn from reading this feature article? How did this author use research? How do they use personal experience? Did the author tell any stories (anecdotes)?  

I learned to mix personal experiences with research to make a key point in the article.