Homework 3: “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz
Read the first 7 pages of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz Don’t forget to read the footnotes! Answer the following questions.
- What did you think of this piece? Be honest! Why? Explain!
- What do you find difficult or confusing? Be specific! Point out particular passages that confused you and explain why you were confused. What do you think the writer may have been trying to do? Find a particular passage that was difficult and explain specifically where you got caught up and why.
- How does the author use footnotes? Why do you think he makes this choice?
- What discourse community(ies) does Oscar Wao belong to?
- What word is important to his discourse community?
- How does he define this word?
- Why is this word important to his community?