A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Introducing My Research Question

(Late Submission)

Introducing my research question, When did cars become an integral part of our culture (and where they might be going in the future). The reason I am interested in this question is a bit complex but i will try to explain the numerous nuances that formed the thought in my head that prompted me to write about it. I will begin with the fact that I love cars (especially fast ones) it’s difficult to explain my fascination but you can say driving a sports car for me is like getting high except being in full possession of myself like dopamine for the brain driving makes me happy. But enough about how i feel driving I am also interested in the history of cars (also my favorite topic in school happened to be history) and when did us humans just start taking cars for granted? what I expect to find in my research is that modern cars because they have so many driving assists and features that aid the driver such as an automatic transmission for example help remove the driver from “being one with the car” and thus making it like sitting at desk with the invention of the car roof being over 110 years old cars are well insulated to the point where you barely know your in one some of the time. And I think its only going to progress in that direction until we have fully self driving cars in the future. Cars are also a common site and you think to yourself “what are somethings i see on the street?” well over there with trees street signs and sidewalks are cars and traffic lights which occupy the vast majority or square feet in outdoor spaces in a city. So when did cars just takeover and become such a common comodity? well that’s really what this essay is about. I think some good potential sources of information to compile on this topic would be Wikipedia, online blogs on notable car websites such as car and driver, Books discussing American lifestyle (as cars play a bigger role then we think it can be a symbol of high status or indicating what your profession is, you can tell a lot about someone based upon their car or least Sherlock Holmes would certainly be able to) and as a final source i would use/used A good old fashioned automotive history book

1. Lisa Cole

Charles, your revised research question is excellent. You response to the first two questions are fine, but you didn’t answer the third question, and for the fourth question, you need to make sure all of your genres are different — remember, one has to be a non-print source.