Reflection #5 (August 14)

Consider the discussions we had today about mindset. Share a concept you believe is important and explain what the concept means to you as a college student.

Read and comment on another student’s post.

1. Kye

A concept that i believe is important is accepting failure. This is important because if your able to accept failure, you can learn it and and over come it with effort.

• Faris

I agree with what you said considering I wrote something similar. If you can accept and overcome failure then nothing can really stop you from achieving what you want.

• Heavyn

I agree, accepting failure may be hard, but you may encounter many failures before you win which will only make you more successful.

2. Faris

A concept I believe is important is learning to take criticism better and utilizing it to improve. We may think our work is flawless but it takes another person’s perspective to view your work in a neutral way. Sometimes there is mistakes that we make but aren’t able to properly see because in our eyes it’s the “right” way. So, learning to accept criticism and not be offended by it but instead apply it to where it matters is important for growth.

• Heavyn

Accepting constructive criticism may be difficult to accept, but like you mentioned another person perspective can help you see a different view that you didn’t see yourself.

3. Kayla Nesbitt

A concept that I believe is important is listening or saying positive affirmations. This can lead you to have a more positive mindset when you are working instead of bringing yourself down and saying “you can’t do it”.

• AlanC

Yep! Saying something repeatedly and internalizing it as part of your thinking, It’s around fifteen minutes a day and a mirror. And knowing that it works, there really isn’t a reason not to do it.

• Heavyn

I actually do that too. When you have a positive mindset you will have more of an open mind. Always keep that positive attitude in college and life in general!

4. AlanC

Knowing yourself/knowledge of self is a concept I think is invaluable. It’s very important to track how we react; ‘What’s my plan if an assignment is due in two weeks?’, ‘I have a group project, what part can I do best?’, ‘We had to debate our points in class and I felt my points were ignored.’ Knowing how to plan around yourself gives you an awareness to think long term.

• Christian Lozano

Knowing your capabilities and what it is that you need to do for you to succeed is essential especially in situations where you don’t always have full control of what’s going on with your work.

5. Alexisp11

A concept that I believe is important to me is learning from mistakes since this will give us more experience and we will not make it again.

• Christian Lozano

Mistakes are fine but you need to make use of those mistakes to learn from them and improve. Always think about how you can do things differently or how to do them better, because if not that means you haven’t learned.

• John Campoverde

This also stuck with me because it gives us more of a reason to raise our hand or at least try in class.

6. Mahrukh Qamar

For me the most important concept is to learn from my mistakes so I don’t do it repeatedly and to gain something from that mistake instead of just making my self motivated. Later on you build it on when you’re doing something new. It will also help you to sort of freeing your self from the fear of failing/ to build your self confidence.

• Christian Lozano

College is not going to be smooth for anyone and some might struggle more than others but at the end of the day the only two options are to get back up or quit, and I’d like to think that more people would prefer the former if they want to succeed.

7. John Campoverde

A concept talked about today that stuck with me was that to even if you think the teacher’s work is pointless, you have to trust the process and believe in the bigger picture. This way you end up doing the assignment and will learn from it as well. I think this would impact students such as I because it would help students learn even if they don’t see a point in doing the assignment.

• Christian Lozano

Many students don’t see the point because they aren’t even looking 1 semester ahead of where they are right now. I’ve been there and it’s not the smart way to go about college and I hope you start thinking about future career plans, internships, clubs, etc., within the first year rather than waiting.

8. Phillip

A Concept I had trouble accepting is failure I used to just give up on something and never try again and really beat myself over it but over time I grew and realized the importance on getting up and retrying

• Heavyn

Failure is a very hard concept to accept. Whenever you’re feeling like a failure always remember how far you came because not many people made it into college. I had encounter many feelings of failure, so I understand what you’re saying completely.

9. Yusuf Shaikh

I believe the concept of having a good mindset is important for college and life. If you fail something, accepting the failure but yearning for improvement is a good mindset too live by.

• Heavyn

I agree, failure doesn’t define you and it shouldn’t break you! That’s a very good mindset to have in life; especially, in college

10. Mohamed

I believe the concept of having a good mindset is important for college and life.If you fail something, accepting the failure but Learning from your mistakes to make so you can improvement is a good mindset too live by.

• Christian Lozano

It’s a mindset you need to have if you want to succeed because quitting isn’t going to get you far in college nor in the real world.