Vladislav Tregubov HW #2: Food and Coffee in the Civil War

Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised.
It’s got me through the worst of the last three years.

Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager, “Hunters”)

It was very interesting to read about the soldiers’ diet during the Civil War because I have learnt something new. For example, I know many facts about The Second World War, but everything was different there.

First interesting fact was that the soldiers, during the Civil War, do not know how to cook. It is both funny and sad that adult men cannot prepare some food. I am not a cook, but definitely, I can prepare simple meal. In addition, it is very unusual for me, that soldiers should cooking themselves. Such organization seems unacceptable for regular army because it is greatly reduces the defensive potentialities of army. All this institution reminds me partisans, “a members of an armed group formed to fight secretly against an occupying force”. (Google)

Second, how much soldiers were dependent, almost addicted, from coffee. It is very oddly for me, because during that time strong drinks (alcohol) were much more popular and even safer in terms of hygiene. By the way, well-brewed black tea has more caffeine than coffee, but it acts softer than coffee because of tannin. I have never liked coffee too much and always prefer tea or hot chocolate.

For me it is not a question, what I prefer. If I have a choice, I obvious prefer food instead of coffee. I like any meat, but prefer beef escalope.

beef escalop

This entry was posted in #studentHW and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Vladislav Tregubov HW #2: Food and Coffee in the Civil War

1. Sandra Cheng says:

You’re right, it is odd to imagine grown ups unable to prepare their own meals, which points to how 21st century people tend to pride themselves in their self sufficiency. Btw, your photo makes me hungry.

2. Thank you. I tried to find the best picture.

3. Cuishan says:

I love meat, too. Especially, beef steak.

4. Sade Vebria says:

I’m also surprised that the soldiers can’t cook, but then again this was a time where cooking was supposed to be a lady’s work. It must’ve been hard for them to adapt to the situation.