To begin this project, I had to created a composition that consists of various elements: three dashed, three dots, one circle, one line, one square, one triangle and one arch. They had to be arranged in a way that they overlap. The purpose was to show our understanding of transparency and color mixing. I had to select 3 shapes with 2 layers and 3 shapes with 3 layers of overlapping transparency.
After arranging the elements I had to figure out what colors I would use. One of my main concerns was selecting colors that did not cause me trouble when mixing them for the overlapping parts, and that I could run out of paints. Painting the smallest parts also terrified me at first, but I set that as a challenge to myself and began focused more on the arrangement of every object and the appropriate color for each. After selecting my colors, I began painting them, making sure that it looked professional and neat. Compared to my previous attempt, this one looks much better, and needs few correction for the mixture part.
The time, frustration, and wakefulness that this project required was worth it because it served me a lot to practice my skills of painting and developed new techniques during the process.
This project consisted on the idea of implementing seven concepts/variables that we had already discussed in class; one composition had to consist of 3 variables, one of 5 and one of 7. I also had to consider the use of a 50/50 ratio of black and white to reflected contrast between light and dark throughout one of the compositions. It all started with three drawings that did not resemble familiar objects.
After finding the right drawings I transferred them into a 11″17″ drawing papers, where I had to consider the variables that I chose to work with and make sure to include the idea of 50/50 (white and black) as well. These factors created a little bit of difficulty when arranging the elements, since I had to be careful when and where to place every object and prevent that my other ideas for the other variables altered the others, the variables were the key point for this project in order to work together with the spots. Well, for this I had to sketch my ideas several times! Experimenting with size, direction, distance, proportion, interval, scale and density.
Overall, this assignment was very difficult; the idea of sketching several times, having my brain multitasking all the time, and the amount of time that it took. However, learning about the concepts behind it and how these concepts can be applied in other works I can confirm that it all was worth it. This project made me realize that I have to pay more attention to every detail in order to end up with a stronger composition.
To begin this project, I developed twelve thumbnail sketches to experiment how parallel lines illustrate movement, which was a struggle at first because I was always considering the resemblance of obvious objects in an attempt to literally indicate movement by guiding the viewer’s eye. But after several trials I finally started to come up with original ideas and created focus on the work and the intention behind it rather than predictions of possible objects that the work resembles.
After selecting the one that meets the requirement, I redefined my work with a 3h pencil on a 11″ x 14″ Bristol paper, considering the line thickness, spacing and craft. Finally with a Sharpie pen, I polished the work following the tracings created by the pencil.