Prof. Mary Brown | COMD 1162 - E058 | Spring 2024

07 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

What is the value of creating layers in Illustrator?

Question 02 –

What is the advantage of converting text to outline?

1. Esther

Creating layers in Illustrator is a powerful technique that enhances the flexibility, organization, and efficiency of the design process. Layers help keep complex designs organized. By separating different elements of a design into layers, you can easily locate specific objects or groups of objects. Secondly, when working with layers, you can be able to lock or hide individual layers, making it easier to edit parts off a design without accidentally altering other elements. This capability is especially useful in complex compositions where selecting and modifying components could be challenging without affecting the surrounding content. Furthermore, by stacking layers , its easy to blend modes and use opacity setting to create visual effects and images.

Converting text to outlines in Illustrator is a great feature that transforms text into vector shape s. This process has multiple advantages, particularly in finalization, sharing , and printing. Firstly, once text is converted to outlines, the actual font is no longer needed to display the text correctly. Secondly, converting text to outlines allows you to manipulate letters as any other vector shape. This opens up endless possibilities for customizing letterforms, adding effects, creating unique typographic designs and more. Outlined text behaves like any other vector graphic, ensuring that it scales up or down without any loss of quality. This can be important for logos and branded materials, where maintaining sharpness and clarity at any size is crucial. It can be precisely positioned ad aligned with other design elements.

• Kayla Martinez

Hey Esther!

Exactly–converting text to an outline is crucial for logos it keeps the quality intact while also having the flexibility of enlarging the shape and customizing the letterform with precision.

2. Kayla Martinez

Layers are so important when working on a big project that includes multiple shapes and strokes that layer on top of each other. This is one thing that I wish I considered as a priority in creating my Mulan Disney poster. Layers allow you to move, edit, lock, hide, and create new content without affecting the other layers. It allows you to manipulate the image in ways that create ease when working on something complex by hiding information on the display that you don’t need to look at, at that moment.

The advantage of converting text to outline is that it allows the designer to play around with the type and manipulate it in ways such as overlapping or individually adding color to each letter. Also creating an outline permits the text to be scaled to whatever size without affecting the quality– similar to a vector file it becomes permanently set as a shape. However, it is important to note that after you create an outline for the text, you can no longer edit it. 

3. Enson Zhou

The layers panel is one of the most beneficial pieces to a graphics designer. The layers allows the designer to organize his or her artwork. Instead of having all of the artwork on one layer, you can separate them into individual layers. If a designer decides that they need to go back and edit a path and there are a million other paths in the way, that is when layers become useful. Separating each part of the artwork is beneficial for artists.

Many designers like to convert their text into outline. This allows designers to have more flexibility when it comes to fonts. If the designer is recreating a piece of artwork that has a specific font. He or she may have to download the font externally. However, if the font is installed on the designer personal computer, he/she may not be able to show off the vector file to others. This is because the font is not installed on the other computers. This is when the text to outline function is necessary. The designer can create an outline of the font and it will show up on other computers just fine.

• Marharyta

Hi Enson! Thank you for your comment! Your answers helped me understand and write my own comments. I also believe that layers are so important in Adobe Illustrator and even in other Adobe programs.

• Tyheim

I totally agree on how useful layers are, and how they are organized and effective. Especially on fixing a mistake instead of just working on one layer.

4. Alaiza elsi

Layers are a super valuable tool in Illustrator. When creating artworks with lots of pieces, all the separate parts are easier to keep organized when each shape, piece of text or what ever else is in a special folder, named just for it. Best of all layers can be organized and rearranged to the artist desire. So they can have as few or as many sub-sections as the artist desires. Allowing users to make their process most comfortable to them.

The advantage that comes with being able to turn text into outlines is that when turn into an outline text can be manipulated and stylized in ways beyond the options of the properties tab. Turning text into an outline allows the user to scale singular letters. Turn them diagonally and such

5. Marharyta

1. Creating layers are so important in every program not even only in Adobe Illustrator, because it helps you to organize your work for yourself and for your team, if not only you work on your project. I recommend organizing and name all layers and even groups, which are in your work. Recently, I found out that if I need to create an animation for the artwork which I created in Illustrator, I can move my project to Adobe After Effects and do not lose my layers. But I needed to organize each element in Adobe illustrator and create for each one theor own layer. So that feature gives me able to use the same file in different Adobe programs.
    2. Creating outline from the text is the best and I think the most useful feature which Adobe Illustrator has. And I believe that this is one of the reasons why designers prefer Illustrator than Figma or Canva. By creating outlines, you create shapes from the text, and when you send this file to someone, they won’t have any problems with loosing fonts. However, you cannot edit your text anymore, because it’s already shapes. So, I recommend always duplicate your text and only one convert to outlines and another hide and save just in case. Also, when you want to create a logo, you might use outlines, because after creating shapes from the brand name you can make different effects with your text, like to use pen, pencil, direct selection tool and change, create or delete positions of the anchor points, which can create a unique logo for your client.
    • Jewel N.

Hi Marharyta,

thank you explaining everything in detail. I understood all the points you were making and the usefulness of both the layers and the outlines.

6. Jewel N.

The value of creaters in illusrator is that the layers allow you to control what is being placed on the artboard and how theyre seperated. If everything was accessible through one layer, it would be difficult to move and re-arrange different typography or sketches. The layers can be useful if one is organized and paying attention to detail. The advantage of converting text to outline is that this allows you to move each letter in which ever way you’d like. For example, if the word “and” was converted to an outline I would be able to move each individual letter, change their size, color and their letter spacing.

7. Hilairyy

The value of creating layers in Illustrator is that it improves the uniqueness, organization, and efficiency of the design process.Also,Layers help to keep big projects and difficult designs organized.It does that by separating different parts of the art piece into layers, so you can easily access specific parts objects.Also, when working with layers, you can lock or hide specific layers, making it easier to edit parts off the art piece without accidentally messing with the other parts. This capability is very useful in difficult positions where selecting and modifying components could be hard to not to affect the surrounding content. More over, by layering, it’s easy to blend modes and use different setting to create images,Fun Effects and more. Next, Converting text to outlines in Illustrator is a useful feature that allows you to transform text into vector shapes. This process has many advantages, particularly in finalization, and printing. To begun with, text is converted to outlines, and the actual font is no longer needed to display the text the right way. Secondly, converting text to outlines allows you to play around with the vector shape. This opens up endless opportunities for customizing letterforms, adding effects, creating unique designs ,etc. Outlined text behaves like any other vector graphic, ensuring that it scales up or down without poor quality. This can be important for logos and branded materials, where maintaining sharpness and clarity at any size is important, and it has to be paid attention too.

8. Wasik Chowdhoury

If you are starting a project, you must create layers and it may be easy for you and it helps your project to be organized.

9. Tyheim

The value of creating layers in Illustrator, adobe, or any artistic and creative software is very important. They make your work organize and easier to change any mistake since each layer would specific towards one area within your work. Its honesty is more effective and practical than just doing everything in one layer and doing extra work.

The advantage to converting text to outline is the ability and option of customizing your text. Examples such as darkening or lighting the text, Changing the color, and many more options.