Prof. Joe Brogdon | Fall 2023

Agenda: Week 3 – 9/6 & 9/8

Understanding the term “Education Narrative”

During class on Wednesday, we will:

Read and Write before class on Friday (aka homework):

• WRITE: (250 Words)  So far in this unit, we have read (and heard) three examples from the genre of the “education narrative.”  Your first essay assignment in this class will be to write in this genre yourself.  So in this discussion forum, I’d like us to have a conversation about what the features of this genre are. Please discuss some of the following:
    • What, from what you’ve seen so far, are the “ingredients” (also known as “conventions”) of the education narrative genre?
    • What do you think might be a place to get started with your own education narrative?
    • What are your questions or concerns about writing an education narrative of your own?
    • If you like, you can also feel free to share an educational experience you had and ask for feedback from your colleagues (and me) to see if we think that might be a solid place to begin writing.

During Class on Friday, we will:

• Review: Based on what we’ve seen so far, what are the “ingredients” (also known as “conventions”) of the education narrative genre?
  • Watch Donovan Livingston’s Graduation Speech  (Transcript)
    • Donovan Livingston got called “Disruptive, talkative, a distraction,” and he turned those words around and made them into his power. What are some things that people think are your weaknesses that you see as strengths? How can you make these characteristics work for you in college and beyond?
  • Discuss paragraphs. Watch slideshow on paragraphs HERE
  • Write a PIE paragraph about their experiences with education and/ or the question above (what are some things that people think are your weaknesses that you see as strengths?)

To Do for class next Wednesday,9/13 (aka homework):

• THINK: Think back over your educational experiences, and remember a specific moment that had an impact (large or small) on your learning/thinking or growth/development as an individual. Select one SPECIFIC event/memory (this is important for in-class writing on Wednesday, so think about it over the weekend!)
  • REVIEW : Please review the slideshow we watched in class about what paragraphs are. You can find it HERE
  • CATCH UP on any late/missing “low stakes” writing (this week’s hw, for example)

1. Gizelle Gooden

Growing up I always had bad memory, when it comes to remembering something about myself I’ve always had a hard time trying to remember certain moments. However, there are also times where my memory is so sharp it’s almost alarming. Working with numbers is one of my strong suits and that skill has allowed me to excel through all my mathematics classes. I’ve also been able to use my memory to help me with personal tasks, I was able to teach myself Japanese in a year and now I remember the forms by heart and now I’m almost bilingual. There still are things I struggle with trying to remember but I know how to utilize my memory I’m ways to benefit myself.

2. Gizelle Gooden

3. Gizelle Gooden

4. Gizelle Gooden

5. Gizelle Gooden