Jacquelyn Blain

Photography

Photography has always been a part of my life because generally everyone takes photos, specifically when there are special occasions. For me though, I was always interested in how the photographers can capture the moment and what it meant to them. For example, taking an image of a city skyline is always an amazing view but to the person who took the shot, it could be more than that. Maybe something happened there that meant the world to them. It can also be that the person simply just likes the view. This mindset had pushed me into wanting to do stuff like this and try it out for myself whenever I had the chance to. With a DSLR camera, the photos usually look way better than a phone camera but at times you cant carry a DSLR around every single time of the day. Without pictures of certain moments (like a historical one) the scene you make in your mind can be so inaccurate because of the limited information you have. With a picture you don’t have to make the image, you have the image. All you have to do now is understand what the image means and why they took it. Not only this but getting the perfect photograph isn’t that simple. You have to learn specific terms, techniques, and equipment to be able to take a simple photograph. You have to know your exposure, know what lens you have to use, and know-how to correctly position the camera and the subject so that the visual aspect of the image can be well made. These challenges motivate me to want to be able to get a photographer of something special and be able to show it to others. You have the freedom of taking whatever photo you want with any equipment as long as it’s not for a client. There is so much involved within photography and the freedom of it interests me a lot.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

This is wonderful! There are so many terms, so much to learn both about art and about technology. I’m really looking forward to reading about this. Maybe take us on a photo shoot? Just a thought — ignore me if you want.