Jacquelyn Blain

Junot Diaz- Subrina Sultana

In Junot Diaz’s excerpt from Oscar Wao, I find it confusing is how it mentioned fuku ain’t just ancient history, a ghost story from the past with no power to scare. At first, I thought it was more of a person who can be dangerous. As I read through the end, I understood how fuku is a curse in Dominican culture. Is this term fuku still presented in Dominican culture as everybody getting scared off? I wonder if this curse fuku is still passing generation in their culture. The writerΒ  Junot Diaz might point out how back in time it was real, and it would happen as it mentioned everybody knew someone who a fuku had eaten. It is trying to show that if someone did something terrible, they would be tested by fuku. As mentioned, whoever killed Trujillo, their family would suffer a fuku so dreadful. It explains how it mainly affected other people involved in killing others. People would be tested for it. Back in time, everybody had their story that considers as negative experiences. It makes it seem challenging for people even to be ready for it. Nobody will know the outcome of what will happen. I also find it interesting that everybody in Santo Domingo has a fuku story knocking around in their family. The writer shows that fuku is more than a curse in someone’s life. I’m wondering how it influences many people’s lives, and many people are in fear.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

That’s a good question about whether the idea of fuku is still alive in Dominican culture…