Jacquelyn Blain

Fuku-Jonathan R

For me, the main thing that had me wondering more about was Fuku. While reading the first part of the text I thought Fuku was just something people believed in years ago that later became a legend story but after reading the text entirely I understood why the author decided to write about it. He first explains that Fuku is “the Curse and the Doom of the New World”. He called it that because the curse originated from Africa where slaves were being transported to the “New World”. He then goes on by saying that the curse came upon a man called Rafael LeΓ³nidas Trujillo Molina. He was the dictator of the Dominican Republic who committed various acts of evil. He was assassinated by the US who JFK was running at the time. So people started believing that JFK had the curse transferred to him and his loved ones due to him approving the assassination. This is where I started to understand it a little more only because it made sense by the chain of events but it seems that there are various ways of interpreting the origin story of Fuku. Most of the text later supports the fact of how Fuku is something that never stops spreading and impacts those cursed patiently over time. He also explains his story dealing with Fuku and that’s where I start to believe it more. I still think it is confusing in that it can be stuff that occurred because they happened but after hearing all the different views and events that somewhat support the reasoning behind Fuku it starts to make sense. It’s that without it having a solid origination of how, what, who, where, and why it came upon the lives of these people. It’s interesting how different people from around the world perceive the curse and each of their thought upon the legend.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

Good comments. It’s also interesting to me that people from different cultures have similar “curses” that they use to talk about things like fate. I’m glad you kept working at this because you came up with some really nice points.