Jacquelyn Blain

Introduction-Muhammad Hamza Javed

From the video and article, I learned that how western society can make a person question his identity. I relate to it a lot because I am an immigrant and a Muslim who went to similar struggles during the first few years of being in America. I had to fit myself in various conditions that i was never used to. For example, like how the author in the video kept saying his name β€œMohamed” to show how it really is pronounced but people still want to pronounce his name however they want to. This makes the person question themselves that am i the ignorant one or are they the ignorant one? Coming back to my understanding, questioning your sense of self, purpose, and values can help you get a deeper understanding of who you are and will become. This is referred to as an identity crisis, and it is beneficial to your growth. At first, i refused to believe that it is beneficial for my growth. But later on, life events taught me how it benefited me because we cant expect anyone to know about our culture, language, religion more than us. So, whenever I felt like anyone who is communicating to me about my culture or religion and they have a wrong understanding about it, instead of calling them ignorant, I teach them the valid facts and that’s where the diversity plays its role. I get to learn about their culture and they get to learn about mine. Your name and language is significant because it has the greatest impact on who you are. It is a part of our heritage, so we can’t just throw it away; certainly, it’s not as vital as food or water, but it’s significant from an emotional standpoint. Lastly, since both, the video and the article is related to Islam which is a faith. Faith contributes to the development of a moral principle as well as a regulator of values in daily life. This method assists in the development of a person’s personality. I personally think the decisions i make everyday has a lot to do with my faith and that’s what makes me a proud Muslim.Β 

1. Jacquelyn Blain

It is indeed very significant emotionally. Thanks for reminding us about that.