Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

4/10/24: New Genre Writing Activity

It’s Unit 3: Writing in a New Genre time! Here’s what we should be thinking/writing about: Reflect upon the major unit activities we’ve worked on this semester, the Education Narrative, the RAB (Reflective Annotated Bibliography) and now the final genre research project. As you write, think about and answer the following questions:

-How do you think the major unit projects fit together? How are they related? Be specific and use examples from each (not direct quotations from your work, but the themes and ideas). Try to draw connections between your narrative, bibliography and now your research project.

-Explain the rationale behind what (and how!) you plan on writing about for your research project. If you are choosing to write a conventional research essay—which most (all?) of you seem to be—for your final project, explain specifically why. Think about it! Of all the options you have (TedTalk, podcast, video essay, etc.), justify your decision to write a research paper. Why is it the most effective way to reach the audience you intend to address?

-What do you think you might have done differently in your projects so far, and what might you do differently in the future? This kind of reflection will be included in your “artist statement” in the final project, so really thinking and writing about this today will mean you can include it in your draft of the project. Also included will be:

1. Context: Give us the background for this project. Remind us how you became interested in the topic.
  2. Rhetorical Situation and Related Choices: Tell us the “why” of your project. What was your purpose for making this project? What audience did you want to direct this information to? Why that audience specifically? Where did you see your piece being shown or distributed to your audience? What appeals did you decide to use (which, of course, may have changed later): facts (logos), emotion (pathos), the credibility of you or someone you talk about (ethos)?
  3. Genre Considerations: Why did you chose the genre you did? What made you think that genre would be the best one for your audience? For example, if you did a brochure, what made a brochure the best way to get the information to your chosen audience — that is, you knew you had a place to distribute it so that seemed logical?

Doing the project: Walk us chronologically through the process you went through to get it done: this, then this, then this… What did you have to change and when? Did you throw out your original idea altogether, and if so, why? Who/where did you turn to for help? When did you panic (if you did) and what did you do about it?

1. Caleb

How do you think the major unit projects fit together?  They fit together by been able to make connections from your first essay and the second one so you can be able to choose a genre for the final project in unit 3.

How are they related?  They are related from my first two genres on the topics I chose for pollution and global warming.

Explain the rationale behind what (and how!) you plan on writing about for your research project.

The reason for choosing to write this essay is to address my audience about the dangers of global warming and pollution including the poaching of endangered animals.

Why is it the most effective way to reach the audience you intend to address?

The best way of effectively reaching my audience is to use a video or make a representation with graphics or in an essay form.

What do you think you might have done differently in your projects so far, and what might you do differently in the future?

I think so far I have i done some good research on the dangers of global warming and and the dangers it has on our planet. Also I plan on adding more ways to protect the planet and ways to eliminate some inappropriate ways of fishing and also deforestation in the future.

1.The background for this topic is on how global warming and pollution is causing harm to the environment and the species of animal in it including human beings. I also became interested in this topic because of how people illegally mine for resources without using the right process and also the endangerment of animals where by they are been poached and their skins used to make belts, and more.

1. (a) My purpose for making this project is to help bring awareness and point out the causes and dangers of how global warming and pollution is affecting the world. (b) The audience I wanted to direct this information to are the mining sector, fishing sector and also the environmental sector for the forest and game preserves including the car industries. (c) The reason for choosing that audience specifically is because of they are mostly the main causes of this type of events and they are the ones making the production of these goods. (d) I found my piece shown mostly in documents and newspapers and experts in that field of global warming and pollution. (e) I used all the three appeals which has ethos, logos, pathos which in this sense will also deal with the emotions on how sad it is when animals are been poached.
    2. I chose this genre because I feel it will be more effective for people to understand the endangerment of poaching and the reason to protect our plant and animals species.

What did you have to change and when?

I did not have to change a lot but i tried to find some more sources and do more research to add to my project and I will do that whiles I am drafting my work.

Who/where did you turn to for help?

I used google scholar and some news websites i found online for my project.

2. marias

I Think is an important topic to-talk about and people should know the cruel reality of this and become aware of the issue.

1. Rhetorical Situation and Related Choices: Tell us the “why” of your project. What was your purpose for making this project? What audience did you want to direct this information to? Why that audience specifically? Where did you see your piece being shown or distributed to your audience? What appeals did you decide to use (which, of course, may have changed later): facts (logos), emotion (pathos), the credibility of you or someone you talk about (ethos)?

The reason for my project is because my specialty is about the fashion industry and I think we should know it. The audience I want to direct this information to is people between 20 and 50 years old because they already consume it. I saw my piece displayed or distributed to the audience the brands sell to. I think I will use logos and pathos.

1. Genre Considerations: Why did you chose the genre you did? What made you think that genre would be the best one for your audience? For example, if you did a brochure, what made a brochure the best way to get the information to your chosen audience — that is, you knew you had a place to distribute it so that seemed logical?

I will choose canva because it is the best option to show my topic and people can better understand the purpose of my project.

I was guided a lot by examples and I think that helped me. Also, I used Google scholar.

3. Giselle

• I think the major unit projects fit together because they are similar to researching a topic that interests us of something that we care about in life and would want for a change. They are related because we are writing about something that’s happening in reality in life and what we should focus on that’s important.
    • How I plan on writing for my research project is by writing a conventional research essay because I feel like writing is easier for me to do and I’ll be able to concentrate more on like I love writing and I think ill do better if I write a conventional research. It is the most effective way to reach the audience I intend to address because I believe they’ll want to hear about my ideas like raise my voice for them to hear of what I think and want my audience to think.
    • I think what I might have done differently in my projects so far is keep revising my essay and correct my mistakes, write more on my projects, making sure if it makes sense, watching out for repeating words and rereading it. What I might do differently in the future is write out my first draft, rereading it and see if it makes sense then I’ll write it out on my essay, but I will still make sure if it’s a complete essay.
    1. Context: I became interested in this topic because I got to research about it and learn more about the world of what’s been happening that I haven’t heard before. I learned more about the bad things that has been happening in some countries or here in the United States that is being affected.
    2. Rhetorical Situation and Related Choices: My purpose for making this project is to show the audience and talk to them more about what’s been happening that’s affecting other countries and that theirs been some counter issues happening into the world that hasn’t stop spreading because we haven’t been careful of it or haven’t done a change from stopping it from spreading. The audience that I want to direct this information to is the people who are researchers, scientists, professors, and everybody else too because they deserve to know the truth of what’s happening to the world and what are some ways that we can prevent it from spreading or making it worse. I chose this audience specifically because I’m sure they’ll understand and they’ll be interested in my topic of what’s happening out there. I see my piece being showed or distributed to the audience in articles and social media. The appeals that I decided to use is Logos and Pathos.
    3. Genre Considerations: I chose this genre because ill be giving facts about what’s happening and where has it been spreading, the causes of it and the emotions of the people or animals that live their where theirs a lot of bad things happening out their and they are being affected by it. What made me think that genre would be the best one for my audience is because to learn more about it and to care for others that are being affected by it and not us, but we should still do something about it to prevent it from happening.

Doing the project: What I had to change was the way how the essay supposed to look like change my writing skills and changing some of my spelling words to make sure that my sentences makes sense, and I changed it when I was rereading my essay. No, I didn’t throw out my original idea altogether, what I did was like keeping it, but changing my sentence to make sure if it made sense if I delete some words. I kept revising my essay and checked if I did it right and if it made sense to me or if something was missing on my sentence. What I did was look at my old essays for some examples to see how well it was written and if it could give me any ideas of how I should write in my essay. Also, I read the articles of my topic again to see what else I can write about and to learn more about the article for my essay.