Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

3/20/24: Happiness and $$$

Please write at least two detailed paragraphs (not just one-sentence answers) that explore the following questions:

• If you had to define happiness, what would that definition be?
  • What “rung” (1 lowest, 10 highest) on the “ladder” of well-being (i.e. happiness) are you? Why?
  • What are the most important features of living a happy life, in your opinion?
  • Does money buy happiness? Whether you your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.
  • Do you agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” Ted Talk, (including his claim that money can buy happiness, but it depends on what you spend the money on)? Explain why.
  • What is the relationship between money and happiness?
  • Can money protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness? What kinds?
  • Is the happiness of others connected to our happiness? If so, how? If not, why not? Explain in detail.

Post your response by replying in the comment section below. If you have any questions, please ask me.

1. Kai

I think that happiness is how contentment of the life that you expect or have.

The most important features of living a happy life should be how satisfied you are.

I think money can buy happiness, but it also depends on what you want and how contentment you’re.

I agree because sometimes the results are not always changing your life l. The one that matters could be the procedures.

I think happiness is from the heart, money is from the matters.

Yes, when it relates to the situation of the society. 

Yes, the happiness of others definitely can be connected to our happiness because we are living in society. Everything we experience can relate to our happiness. Those experiences are mostly related to other people.

2. Melanie

1. Being with your family having good times
    2. 10 because I have health and a family that is with me at all times.
    3. Be healthy, be positive in the face of bad things, Have hope, have good communication with your family and have friends to go out with at any time
    4. Money does buy happiness because with money I could buy economic stability for my family, with money I could buy them things they need at home because then they would be happy, if they are happy I would also be happy, money opens us up more opportunities, with money we can go where we want to go, if you have children with money you can give them a better lifestyle and a good education.
    5. Yes, I totally agree because what good is having money if you are going to spend it on anything that doesn’t help you at all. Most people buy things online only because we liked the way they look or because it is the latest model, such as a car, a telephone, or machines so that they can do what we ourselves can do. On the other hand, if you use the money for an investment that will help you, for example, buy a house and sell it at a higher price or rent it out, buy shares and sell them at a higher price or have your own business that helps you generate money, that money can be doubled and help you more.
    6. What do you pay for your food in a restaurant? Exactly with money, how do you pay for that trip that you wanted to take for a long time but couldn’t due to lack of money? With money, everything we consume or use we get with money. It is clear that money cannot buy knowledge or health, but without money we cannot do anything.
    7. There are some that do and others that don’t, for example if we have financial problems or you need money for something urgent, the money can help you but if you lost a family member, the money will not return that family member.
    8. Yes, my family’s happiness is related to mine. My family sometimes has financial problems and they worry a lot making me worry and look for a way to help them, and the same thing happens with me, if I am in a hurry they help me with what I need because they also worry about me.
  3. Caleb Aryeetey

I will define happiness as an internal feeling that results as the actions of a person who finds interest in doing something that makes them happy.

I will say to me 9 will be my highest number on the ladder in terms of my happiness and well being the reason for saying this is that I will rather spend more of my time to do something that makes me happy e.g traveling and learning new things.

The most important features of living a happy life is to take your health and mental important, family and never hold on to anything that hurts you for that long and also help people when you can.

• Does money buy happiness? Whether you your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.

In my opinion i will say yes money can buy happiness, the reason for saying this is money is what each and everyone needs to be able to fulfill daily needs but also money can also bring you happiness on how you choose to spend it and what you spend on eg. You can choose to give your money to orphans if that makes you happy, One can also say spending money buying expensive cars is what brings them joy and happiness.

• Do you agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” Ted Talk, (including his claim that money can buy happiness, but it depends on what you spend the money on)? Explain why.

Yes i do agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” the reason for saying this is because it depends on the individual who wants to spend money on whatever they want since it brings them happiness and it all comes down to where you spend it and if that makes you happy. eg some people will be happy to spend their time with the poor and that makes them happy.

The relationship between money and happiness is that in order to be logically happy in terms of real life you need money to be able to do the things that will make you feel happy and completed e.g If it is buying chocolates for kids that makes you happy and you do not have a job that pays you in order to buy the chocolates for the kids then you will definitely not be happy.

Yes i feel money can protect us from certain kind of unhappiness by being able to do the things that will make us feel happy when there is money. eg traveling, paying for our daily expenses, taking care of our loved ones and family.

Yes i feel the happiness of others are connected to our happiness in someway because for instance if you going to the hospital and the doctor and the nurses are not in a happy mood it can sometimes make you feel a little bit down because of the energy. And that is the same way if someone has not yet eaten and you already ate and the person is feeling hungry and they tell you about it you will also feel not all that happy because the way you will like the person to open up to you will not be like when they ate. Same as having a kid who is ill.

4. Valentina Martinez

I can define that happiness as an emotion, how great you feel with something. I think the most important features of living a happy life are calm but also excitement, love, relationship (family, friends), goals and dreams, and gratitude. I think that the money is not relate directly with the happiness but is part of the calm, sometimes you cannot have calm if you are worried for money and sometimes (almost always) it can help you with your dreams and goals. I’m agree with this video, but maybe is not the same for everyone and I think it is also correct, so I think it is relative, we are not all in the same position to use our money in other people; so why I’m agree? Well, I can share, even when is not much and doing that makes me feel happy. The relationship between money and happiness as I mentioned before is the calm and life that It can gives you, it can helps you also in many ways with your goals for example with studies. Money can protect us of the worries and bad situations. I believe that the happiness of other are connected in certain way, but it shouldn’t affect our.

• Valentina Martinez

·       If you had to define happiness, what would that definition be?

A: I can define that happiness as an emotion, how great you feel with something.

·       What “rung” (1 lowest, 10 highest) on the “ladder” of well-being (i.e. happiness) are you? Why?

A: I feel like an 8, I’m happy with my life now, I’m not a 10 because would like to be closer to my family, can see them more often, and also it is a little bit because of the situation in my native country. 

·       What are the most important features of living a happy life, in your opinion?

A: I think the most important features of living a happy life are calm but also excitement, love, relationship (family, friends), goals and dreams, and gratitude.

·       Does money buy happiness? Whether you your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.

A: I think that the money is not relate directly with the happiness but is part of the calm, sometimes you cannot have calm if you are worried for money and sometimes (almost always) it can help you with your dreams and goals.

·       Do you agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” Ted Talk, (including his claim that money can buy happiness, but it depends on what you spend the money on)? Explain why. 

A: I’m agree with this video, but maybe is not the same for everyone and I think it is also correct, so I think it is relative, we are not all in the same position to use our money in other people; so why I’m agree? Well, I can even when is not much and doing that makes me feel happy.

·       What is the relationship between money and happiness?

A: The relationship between money and happiness as I mentioned before is the calm and life that It can gives you, it can helps you also in many ways with your goals for example with studies.

·       Can money protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness? What kinds?

A: Yes, it can, Money can protect us of the worries and bad situations.

·       Is the happiness of others connected to our happiness? If so, how? If not, why not? Explain in detail.

A: I believe that the happiness of other are connected in certain way, but it shouldn’t affect our. Seeing my friends happy makes me happy in certain way.

5. Junior Chamblain

· If you had to define happiness, what would that definition be?

Ans: happiness is a strong sensation that you have and makes you feel good, an incomparable sensation that brings a lot of satisfaction and a lot of joy to you.

What “rung” (1 lowest, 10 highest) of well-being (i.e. happiness) are you? Why?

Ans: I think I’m 5 because I’m alive and I’m healthy, the people I love are always with me, they live in the world, the other 5 is because I’m not rich yet, the day I become rich it increases to 10/10.

Â· What are the most important features of living a happy life, in your opinion?

Ans: For me, the first thing that comes first is health, then there is money, and there is a good relationship with the person in your circle

· Does money buy happiness? Whether you your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.

Ans: yes, money buys happiness because when you have money you don’t have to go to the hospital, you don’t have to think about what you owe, you live your life without stress and no one demands you to come to work and live your life better This makes the people around you happy

Â· Do you agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” Ted Talk, (including his claim that money can buy happiness, but it depends on what you spend the money on)? Explain why.

Ans: I disagree, I believe that everything you purchase brings you happiness. If what you buy brings you joy, then it constitutes happiness itself. Though it may be temporary, it still contributes to your overall sense of happiness.

· What is the relationship between money and happiness?

Ans: The relationship between money and happiness is that happiness is a feeling, it is something that allows you to have a certain amount of joy in your home because the more money you have, the more happiness you have, one cannot go without the other.

· Can money protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness? What kinds?

Ans: for my question I am saying that money cannot help you with all your unhappiness because there are unhappiness diseases such as cancer and other diseases that cannot be treated, and death too.

6. kenny

1. Happiness is a state of happiness and contentment characterized by positive emotions such as joy, contentment, and a sense of accomplishment.

2. I think my happiness is range 7 because I feel like I may have moved recently, so I gave myself 7 points of happiness. There are a lot of things that make me a little tired, and I’m worried about when my job will be accepted.

3. I think happiness means that my family is safe, my career is stable, and I have to do well in what I do every day.

4. Money is earned by your own ability. I think it can bring happiness, but it depends on how you spend it to enjoy it. For example: buying items, food, etc.

5. I disagree with Michael Norton because everyone has a different economy where they receive money and spend different things to make them happy.

6. I feel like money can make life easier and more comfortable, but it doesn’t guarantee happiness. True happiness often comes from personal dedication and a sense of accomplishment, which money cannot buy.

7. Yes, money can help us avoid certain types of misfortune. It provides security by ensuring that we meet basic needs such as food, shelter, and health care.

8. Yes, the happiness of others is closely related to our happiness. When people around us are happy, we feel good too. It also has a positive impact on our own happiness.

7. Giselle

If I had to define happiness, Happiness means to be happy with your life, being grateful for everything that you have like family, food, home, and friends. Also happiness means being joyful, like an emotion of being happy about something that has happened to your life. The “rung” on the “ladder” of well being I am is 10 because I am grateful for my family for what they have done for me, supported me, and for being by my side, also that I’m happy for everything that I have and I’m happy that I’m still here working hard on college. The most important features of living a happy life is being healthy, having confidence in yourself, being kind to the people, staying active, and having a good mindset. No, money doesn’t buy happiness because money helps you buy things for you to have and enjoy, but money doesn’t help you find happiness or to receive happiness. For example, money doesn’t buy you happiness because money can’t buy you everything like family, friends and relationships, there are some things that cannot be bought.

Yes, I agree with Michael Norton’s “Money Can Buy Happiness” Ted Talk because money can buy happiness if you know what your spending on like food, items, furniture, car and house because you have to decide what’s good for you and what’s makes you happy if you know what your spending the money on. The relationship between money and happiness is that it’s a larger income, both can give happiness to some people that are rich and poor. No, money can’t protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness because it doesn’t help us feel better, it just helps us buy things that we need or pay off our rent, but not happiness. Maybe, there are some happiness of others connected to our happiness because maybe there are people that have the same interest as us like video games, food, art, books, sports, and favorite movies.

8. achraf belli

1- Happiness in my opinion is a good feeling that present our well-being and the satisfaction of our life .

2- My rung of my well-being is 7 , because I feel satisfied of what I did until now Although I’m in the middle of my life’s road

3- In my opinion, the most important features of living a happy life are gratitude, we need to appreciate what we have also positive mindset and healthy relationships.

4- For me money buy happiness ,because if you don’t have money in this world how you will survive ? And how you will be able to afford food and shelter? Those two things are the basics to make you happy in this life ,also money can afford you more opportunities to travel the world and enjoying the life .

5- I agree with him that money can buy happiness especially the way that you spend money ,means helping others , buying food to homeless people, giving money to people that they need it , I think things like that can make us feel happy.

6- The relationship between money and happiness is that money can provide us security , stability and more opportunities for enjoying life by traveling ,buying things that make us content…although we need to be grateful what we have to assure happiness

7- Yes money can protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness ,for example the basics things like food and shelter , if you hungry and you don’t have money to buy food then somebody gives you money to buy food for sure you will be happy, this how money can change our situation from unhappy to happy.

8- I think happiness have an impact on our own happiness .When we see the loves ones ,friends happy that makes us also content and satisfied. Also we can’t feel completely happy and satisfied and your family have a problems and unhappy situation.

9. marias

I don’t think we can define happiness, but we can associate happiness with family, friends, money, cars, food etc. Is different for everyone in the world. 

• What “rung” (1 lowest, 10 highest) of well-being (i.e. happiness) are you? Why? 

8 because there’s bad and good days.

For me, living a happy life is doing what I like, following my goals and making my dreams come true and being around my family and friends.

• Does money buy happiness? Whether your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.

Yes, I think money buys happiness sometimes because maybe 70% percent of people’s problems are about money so if you have money you can be less sad. Although, it depends because each person’s perspective is different but yes money is an important part of life.

I agree with Michael Nostons Because if you are a person who makes you happy by buying cars  or maybe donating  money to an organization it’s fine because it’s your choice, decision, money and happiness.

Because if you are a person who makes you happy buying cars its okay. or maybe donate  money to organization.

The relationship between happiness and money is that some people can associate both with happiness and what you can get with money.  

It may protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness. For example, if a member of your family is sick And needs an expensive operation and you dont have the money for the operation you are gonna be sad but if you have money to pay, you don’t have reason to be sad.

Sometimes, to be honest, I try not to disturb other people’s emotions but there’s a exceptions

10. Farhan

1.If you had to define happiness, what would that definition be?

I think happiness is a state of contentment and joy, where one feels fulfilled and satisfied with life.

2.What are the most important features of living a happy life, in your opinion?

In my opinion  living a happy life often involves positive relationships, a sense of purpose, gratitude, mindfulness, self-care, personal growth, generosity, work-life balance, resilience, and living in alignment with your values.

3.Does money buy happiness? Whether you your answer is “yes” or “no,” explain why and think of at least two or three examples.

In my opinion Yes, money can contribute to happiness by providing access to basic needs and opportunities for freedom. However, there are diminishing returns to wealth, and factors like relationships and purpose also play significant roles in overall happiness.

4.What is the relationship between money and happiness?

In my opinion Money can contribute to happiness up to a point, but beyond a certain threshold, its impact diminishes. Other factors such as relationships, health, and purpose play crucial roles in overall happiness.

5.Can money protect us from certain kinds of unhappiness? What kinds?

In my opinion Money can shield against financial stress, lack of basic needs, and limited opportunities, but it doesn’t guarantee happiness or prevent all forms of unhappiness.

6.Is the happiness of others connected to our happiness? If so, how? If not, why not? Explain in detail.

In my opinion The happiness of others can influence our own happiness through empathy, social bonds, and altruism, but individual happiness is also shaped by personal factors.

11. Afrin Akter

1) Happiness is the warm feeling you get inside when you’re smiling and feeling content with life.

2) I’m on rung 8 because I have loving relationships, good health, and opportunities to enjoy life. There are small things that could make it even better, but overall, I feel very happy and content.

3) The most important features of living a happy life are love from family and friends, doing things you enjoy, and having a positive outlook on life. It’s about cherishing moments, being grateful, and finding joy in everyday experiences.

4) No, money can’t buy happiness because true joy comes from relationships and experiences, like spending time with loved ones or pursuing passions, which aren’t dependent on wealth.

5) Yes, I agree with Michael Norton’s Ted Talk. Money can buy happiness if spent on experiences, like travel or hobbies, and on helping others, but not necessarily on material possessions alone. It’s about how we use money to create meaningful moments and connections that truly bring happiness.

6) Money can make life easier, but it doesn’t guarantee happiness. True happiness often comes from things like love, friendship, and doing what you enjoy.

7) Yes, money can protect us from certain types of unhappiness, such as financial stress, inability to afford basic needs, and some health-related issues.

8) Yes, when people we care about are happy, it can make us happy too. For example, when we help someone and they feel happy because of it, it can make us feel happy too.