Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

3/18/24: Happiness

Happiness can be a complicated subject. Do you think of yourself as happy? In 2008, Denmark ranked as the happiest nation on the planet, according to the World Map of Happiness and the World Values Survey. These happiness surveys polled people around the globe on — you guessed it — how happy and satisfied they are with life. Folks in Denmark showed an impressively high degree of social connections, career satisfaction and political and economic stability — all of which are known to promote happiness.

But what does it even mean that the Danish consider themselves happier than a lot of other people around the world? What were the surveys measuring, exactly? According to Webster, happiness is “a state of well-being and contentment.” That emotional state the dictionary refers to is arguably different for everyone. At the same time, we know the physical effects of happiness; humans smile and laugh as a natural sign of glee. Certain physiological reactions, such as increased activity in the brain’s left prefrontal lobe and decreased amounts of cortisol (a stress hormone) coursing through the bloodstream, happen when we’re happy.

• How do you measure your own happiness, specifically?
  • What has been the happiest time of your life?
  • Did the pandemic affect your happiness at all? In what ways, specifically?
  • Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy or not at all happy?
  • In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why does what you describe your ideal life?  
  • Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?
  • Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life?
  • Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?
  • So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?
  • If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

1. Kevin

How do you measure your own happiness, specifically?

I would measure my happiness with the people I surround myself with and the people that bring happiness and joy in my life. 

What has been the happiest time of your life?

All the times I had the chance to care for someone.

Did the pandemic affect your happiness at all? In what ways, specifically?

I think I was in a weird spot in my life in the pandemic I started the pandemic with lots of joy that I wont be going to school but in the middle of the pandemic I think I was sad that I could not go out and just stat stuck in my house but towards the end of the pandemic as the restrictions started to get less strict I went to exercise with a friend and I think that helped me a lot and regained happiness. 

Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy or not at all happy?

I would say I am in a neutral state in my life.

In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why do you describe your ideal life?   

I think in my ideal life I will have achieved wealth and love, have a family that loves me and dont have problems with money.

Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?

I would say that they are perfect as they are. I just have to learn more stuff in general myself but the conditions are very good.

Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life?

I am not satisfied in life. I am still lacking as a person and don’t have enough experience in life in general.

Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?

Yes I am certain I will be satisfied in the future. 

So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?

No, I still have a long way to go unfortunately.

If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

Yes I would change that in 2011 I would have bought bitcoin instead of watching cartoons. Also I would like to change my laziness and study more and not procrastinate so much.

2. Caleb Aryeetey

The measure of my own happiness can be measured by the friends I keep and also been able to help when the need arises. Also being able to join a course or a movement that are curious about metaphysical things and learn from also interests me a lot. 

The happiest time in my life was when I got to see my mom for the first time since she left for America whiles I was in Africa.  

Yes, in some way the pandemic affected my happiness. Some places that I go out to hang out with friends were closed, some friends and family members lost their lives, and it also helped me grow up.  

Taking all things together I will say I am very happy because I have been able to learn a lot this past few years and the friends I have been able to meet and starting up my business. Also learning outside the box has also made me more happy.

3. Junior Chamblain

1 How do you measure your own happiness, specifically?

Ans: My happiness is that one day I told my father to stop working and to rest and to have my own family so that my children do not experience what I experienced to find a good life where They won’t have to worry about life problem.

2 What has been the happiest time of your life?

Ans: moments before 2020 when I didn’t know the pain of losing someone important in my life where my family was complete my mother was there my sister was there we all lived as a family like any normal family should live

3 Did the pandemic affect your happiness at all? In what ways, specifically?

Ans: The pandemic doesn’t really affect my happiness because I was in Haiti, we weren’t really worried about what we were all doing, the school was closed, but we always got together with our friends, To be clear, we didn’t know the stress of the pandemic, the only worry I had was for my family who was outside of Haiti, then everything was fine for me.

4 Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy or not at all happy?

Ans: I think I’m rather happy because I learned to appreciate life, having life is a sign that proves that everything is okay, you are the one who will make your life better as you want it even if there are many bad steps in your path.

5 In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why does what you describe your ideal life? 

Ans: no ideal life I wanted to have it is not close, the ideal of life that I dreamed of having since I was little is to take care of my mother, I do what I must do, but that’s not what happened. but in another way of life that I wanted as my ideal life began to change

6 Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?

Ans: the condition of my life between the two is excellent, it is not excellent, it is excellent because I still have people who care about me, people who love me and people whom I love and count on me who are with me, it is not excellent because I want to be there My life is not like that because there are things that are not supposed to be a big deal for me.

7 Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life?

Ans: no, I am not satisfied with my life, but I appreciate my life. because I am an ambitious person I always want more, and I always want to win big.

8 Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?

Ans: yes, because I’m working for it to be satisfied and give myself and what I want.

9 So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?

Ans: Yes, I have an important thing in my life is to have an education.

10 If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

Ans: I wouldn’t change anything because everything that happens has a reason for it, everything that life gives you, you are supposed to learn to deal with that which will make you become the man you should be,

4. marias

When life is simple.

When I am with the people I love with nothing to worry about. 

The pandemic was hard and affected my happiness a little bit because  classes were difficult and being locked up a lot was ugly, but in the end everything returned to normal.

I would say I am happy.

My life is closer to my ideal because I’m working to make my dreams come true.

The conditions of my life are good but I would like to get better in general.

I am satisfied with my life because I follow my goals and I make my own destiny.

I think so because in the present, I am working to get the future I’m looking for.

I have gotten the important things I want in life but still need others. 

I don’t think I would ever change anything in my life because everything I have experienced taught me something and those things make me the person I am today.

5. Valentina Martinez

A: With my levels of energy and optimism.

A: Now in the present. 

A: Not the pandemic in particular; I was working after 3 months, that keep me busy for a while, but the pandemic affected my social skills.

·       In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why does what you describe your ideal life? 

A: My ideal future is in progress; I’m on the way. My ideal life is some things that always dreamed about, stability, love and health most important and not in that order. 

·       Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?

A: Yes, they are, but I would like to be physically closer to my family. And a better situation in my native country

·       Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life? 

A: I’m, I’m studying what I always wanted, I have a lovely and supportive husband and family, me and my family have health, and I have better economic stability.

·       Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?

A: Is hard to know, but I’m positive about.

·       So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?

A: I feel that yes, I have love from the people around me, I’m in a career that I’m interested in, in a country with more opportunities than in my native country

·       If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

A: I think the things always happen for a reason, so I wouldn’t change anything, because everything that I have lived build what I’m now. 

6. Giselle

• How I measure my own happiness is checking if I’m feeling happy, and see if I’m having a great time.
    • The happiest time of my life was when I was spending time with my family eating in a sushi restaurant.
    • Maybe like in the middle the pandemic affected my happiness because I was feeling scared of what was happening through the pandemic, like people were dying because they got covid so I was scared that I would get it too. Also that I couldn’t go outside anymore to see my friends and family, or go anywhere.
    • I would say that I am rather happy.
    • Yes, my life is close to my ideal because I’m living well, I have a home to go to, food to eat, school and my family. I describe my ideal life as funny, cheerful, jokester, artistic and joyful.
    • Yes, the conditions of my life is excellent. I just have to keep going in life when life gets hard.
    • Yes, I’m currently satisfied with my life. I’m satisfied in my life because I’m reaching my goals by believing in myself and working hard for it.
    • Maybe, I’ll be satisfied with my life in the future because a lot of bad things can happen in life.
    • I still have a long way to go to get the important things in my life.
    • Yes, I would like to change back in 2021 the day that I stopped playing roblox, I wish that I still kept playing so that I wouldn’t have missed a huge update.
  7. Caleb Aryeetey

My Ideal life is going to college and graduating, also make a family and also be able to get my dream job and be able to be free and do anything that I want to do in terms of freedom and being independent. 

No I would not say the condition of my life is not all that perfect, but I am willing to make the efforts and make some changes to how I can contribute to the unfortunately. 

Yes I am very satisfied with my life because this is the only life I have here on earth. I am also improving on how to make life more better and fun for me by networking with people of the same perspective. 

Yes I will be very happy with my life in the future because I will be able to do all I wanted to do whiles I am still planning for it. 

I will say yes I have but all I have to do now is to put in more efforts to my actions and also use the information and knowledge I have now to be able to make things more easier. 

Yes I will make sure everyone has knowledge of how to learn money management and also help the unfortunate and help all you can. 

8. achraf belli

1- firstly happiness is complicated to define for me is three things: health,family and money,however measuring happiness for me is related to those three and how I’m satisfied with my life now according to work ,school ,friendships also relationship.

2-One of the most happiest time of my life was when I finally approved for my US Visa and my dream come true, my dream that I was waiting for it for almost one year , one year of planing and overthinking,but finally I did it , I still remember the happiness of my parents too it was an unforgettable day.

3- I don’t believe that there is an ideal life , life for me is up and down, happiness and sadness, but I’m trying to keep more happiness than sadness of course but to be happy all the time it’s one of the impossible things.

4-I can tell my condition of my life are good until now , I’m working on it to be excellent, I’m trying to get to my degree and get a better job make more money then make a family, it looks really easy but I know I need to work hard if I want to achieve this excellent life.

5-I think I’m kind of satisfied with my life, I know I still have some goals to achieve but until now I’m glad what I did .

6-With my personal planing that I made hopefully I’ll be more satisfied about my life

7- I didn’t got all the important things that I want yet but working on it

8-If I could live my life over again I’m not gonna change nothing because I believe in destiny what ever happened before it’s we will be the same thing again.

9. Tariq M. Elfgeeh

1- How do you measure your happiness specifically?

– Some people measure their happiness by money, but money may be compensated by other things, but health has no alternative. I measure my happiness by my personal health before anything else.

2- What is the happiest time in your life?

– My day is happy when I wake up in the morning and do not feel tired or lethargic, but I am also happy when I am enjoying my time with sports.

3- Has the pandemic affected your happiness at all? In what ways specifically?

– Personally, I did not feel happy because it affected my physical and mental health, and I felt bored with the same routine every day.

4- Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, somewhat happy, not very happy, or not at all happy?

Currently, I will say less than 60%, but over time the percentage will rise.

5- In most ways, is your life close to your ideal life? Explain in detail. Why would you describe your ideal life?

The ideal life that I want to achieve is to have a family and be independent, to have good living conditions, and to be able to buy a house and a car, but the most important thing is the family and taking care of it.

6- Are your living conditions excellent? What specifically could change, if anything?

– Currently, living conditions are fairly good. I have no idea yet, but with the passage of time, I may have new ideas.

7- If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? He explains.

– I will learn the things that I was late in learning and gain many experiences that will develop my life for the better.

10. Shahzoda

The moment I held my child in my arms for the first time.

During the pandemic, I appreciated my family, on the one hand, I was happy that I spent more time with my family, but on the other hand, I was afraid of losing my loved ones.

In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why does what you describe your ideal life?

My current life is close to my ideal life. because now I have everything I need and my loved ones are in front of me, the only thing left to do is to choose the right person in my personal life path.

I can’t say that my current life is perfect, I still have a lot of things to do and want to do, but my current life is not bad either. As for change, I don’t want anything to change, not even my mistakes.

I am happy with my life. the reason is my family. My parents are alive and I have a sweet child, these are my happiness.

I think and hope that I will be satisfied in my future life as well.

Unfortunately no but I’m trying to achieve that.

If you could live your life over again, would you change anything or almost nothing?

No, I would not change at all, because every event, good, or bad, and mistakes in my life is the cause of my current success.

11. Kai

The way I measure my happiness depends on how much pressure I have. If I don’t have too much pressure in my life and handle it mostly, that might increase my happiness.

The happiest time in my life was when I lived with my grandma during winter and summer breaks during childhood.

The pandemic affects me a lot, especially at the beginning and the end of COVID-19. When the pandemic started, I felt like I didn’t need to worry about transport, socializing, or the pressure from the school. The only difficult thing was that I needed to adapt to remote learning. But at the end of it, I started to feel frustrated about staying at home, even though remote learning is more efficient for me in high school.

Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy, or not at all happy?

I don’t think my life is ideal because sometimes what you see and hear in your life isn’t what you expect. The ideal life isn’t in my world.

The conditions of my life are not excellent, but they are not bad for me because I still have many choices or paths. I think the only thing I can change to make my life better is my attitude.

Not now to me, because I felt tired of the effort I had put in and not getting the things I expected. This makes me less motivated than before.

Yes, when I start to motivate and feel passion again.

No, but I know what I need and what I don’t want.

• If you could live your life over again, would you change anything or almost nothing? Explain.

I would be curious about what my life would be if I didn’t come to the U.S.

12. kenny

1. I will use the friends and things around me and what my life brings to me to feel comfortable and measure my happiness.

2. The happiest time in my life is when I travel. I have been to many places in Venezuela and the United States.

3. I think during this pandemic, when I heard the news that schools were holding online classes at home, I was full of joy at first. But in the middle of the pandemic, I was eager to go out but felt sad that I couldn’t go out. But in the pandemic At the end of the pandemic, make time to hang out with friends and family as restrictions start to become less stringent.

4. I am orderly in my life.

5. My life is close to my ideal because my parents provided me with a better place to live in Staten Island, with a good environment and I have seen a variety of different worlds, such as: friends’ special houses, cars, listening to other people’s experiences, traveling, etc.

6. I want to say that their life is perfect as it is. But I think I just need to learn more and make money to help my parents and reduce their stress.

7. I am not satisfied with myself at present. I have not found a job recently. I also feel that I have not helped my parents and I lack some social experience.

8. Yes, I am sure that I will be satisfied and get what I want in the future.

9. No, but I still have a long way to go and I think I can do better.

10. Regarding this issue, I feel that I don’t know which one to choose, because I have considered both options. If I could live my life over again, I would like to be smart and not introverted. I also have some regrets and no longer make mistakes, etc. wait.

13. Farhan Zaman

1.How do you measure your own happiness, specifically?

I would measure my own happiness by To measure your own happiness: Reflect on what brings you joy. Keep a journal to track your feelings. Rate your happiness on a scale regularly.

2.What has been the happiest time of your life?

The happiest time was in my life When I was bought my first car.

3.Did the pandemic affect your happiness at all? In what ways, specifically?

Yes It did. We had to stay home for couple of month because of pandemic. We couldn’t even meet with our friends.

4.Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy or not at all happy?

I would say I am not very happy.

5.Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?

I would say It’s no. It would be well if I had a good job.

6.Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life?

I would say no because There is a lot’s of reason.

7.Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?

I think I would be If I get a good job and stay healthy.

8.So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?

No I didn’t get yet. I am waiting for my degree.

9.If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

I would have changed in back 2020 I stopped working . I could make more money.

14. Turiqul khan

• How do you measure your own happiness, specifically

I would like to measure my happiness when I live with my family and time spent with my best friends.

My happiest time was when my son was born last year.

Yes, the pandemic affected my happiness especially since we were very worried at that time how we protect ourselves from COVID-19. My some relative was diad front of my eyes. On the other hand, long time I had stay at home, and I couldn’t go outside also couldn’t meet with friends. I had bored all the time staying home.

• Taking all things together, would you say you are very happy, rather happy, not very happy, or not at all happy?

I am not very happy.

I think my life close to my ideal. I have nice happy family.

No I don’t think my life is not all the perfect but I am trying to make some changes my life.

I would say I am not 100% satisfied with my life becuse I don’t have good job and I need make more money.

• I think I am satisfied with my future life  
    • Not yet ,but i am trying to find it.
    • yes , I would change my some mistake in my past life
  15. Melanie

I measure my happiness when I am with my family and friends because when I am with them I am happy and I enjoy life more.

The moments I spent with my family.

Yes, the pandemic affected mine because I was in mental and social development, the pandemic meant that I could not go out with my friends and family somewhere, leave school because it was where I had fun with my friends and in the pandemic life It was about having online classes and spending time at home locked up.

I would say that I am happy because I am with my family and as time has passed I have made more friends with whom I have enjoyed more of the same moments.

No, it is not close to my ideal because I still do not have much knowledge of what surrounds me because every day I am learning things that I have never heard before and in order to reach my ideal I have to learn more.

Yes, my living conditions are excellent, I have my family, friends, health and a place to live.

If I could change something it would be the economy we have so as not to see my family suffer for money.

No, I’m not satisfied because I still have to do things I haven’t started yet, like finishing college, giving mom a house and more.

I believe that if I manage to comply or what I am setting out to do, I will be satisfied.

No, I have a long way to go.

Yes, in 2020 I would like to change my laziness in doing things and help mom more and study much more.

16. Brian Chong

• Happiness? Everyone have their way to have or gain happiness… But in my case all I need for my happiness it just alcohol plus music… that’s it… (oh ya and my cats 😀

• I would say when I had a relationship with a girl in High School…

• I would say not really, cause during the pandemic I starting to work and I do save a lot of money at that time…

• I would say I on the middle… Happiness and unhappiness create life

5.In most ways, is your life close to your ideal? Explain in detail. Why does what you describe your ideal life?  

• I would say not really… One of the reason is that I still living with my parents, I’m not saying that living with parents is not good, the problem living with parents is they always try to limit you…

6.Are the conditions of your life excellent? What specifically, if anything, could change?

• Not really, cause I feel like I’m very very very behind of my friends. My friends do have goal for their life and me? Haha; All I thinking about is just how to get rich overnight and buy a at least 20 acre of forest or plain to live… What would I change to get better life? Probably just find a good payment job and work… that’s it…

7.Are you currently satisfied with your life? (I know this is not an easy question) How or in what ways are you satisfied with your life?

• I would say bewteen yes and middle. Like I said before all I need it just alcohol plus music and pets that’s it.

8.Do you think you will be satisfied with your life in the future?

• I HAVE NO IDEA lol… Step is a step, will see in the future.

9.So far, have you gotten the important things you want in life?

• Yes and no, yes is alcohol and no is my own house.

10.If you could live your life over again, would you change anything, or almost nothing? Explain.

• Make a better step on my relationship.
  17. Afrin Akter

1) I measure my happiness by noticing when I feel good and content, and by thinking about the things that make me smile every day.

2) Living with my grandparents was the happiest time of my life.

3) The pandemic made me feel sad and worried, but spending more time with my family and doing things I love at home helped me feel better.

4) Yes, I would say I am very happy overall because I have family that I love, things I enjoy doing, and reasons to smile every day.

5) Yes, my life is close to my ideal because I have love, safety, and things I enjoy, which make me feel happy and fulfilled every day.

6) Yes, my life is good. I could be even happier by spending more time with family and trying new things.

7) Yes, I’m satisfied with my life. I’m grateful for the love I have, the things I enjoy doing, and the opportunities to learn and grow every day.

8) Yes, I believe God will guide me to find happiness and satisfaction in the future.

9) Yes, I have the love and support of my family, good health, a safe home, and opportunities to enjoy hobbies and interests.

10) I would change almost nothing because everything I’ve experienced has helped me grow and become who I am today.