Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | FALL 2024

10/15/24: Define “good writing”

In this reflection, think about words or terms that you believe are important in creating “good” writing (think about your own writing and your method of writing…what terms would you associate with this?). Generate a list of 5-10 terms and define them. Next give specific examples of authors and/or pieces that you believe use these terms and do so in a good way. Finally, tell why you believe the list you have created is important to writing, specifically your own writing.

Post below in the comment section.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

1. Sophia Basone

Clarity: making sure ideas are expresses clearly and easily understood.

Tone: the writer’s attitude toward the subject or audience which influences the piece’s feel.

Theme: the underlying message or central idea of the work. 

Imagery: descriptive language that appeals to the senses and creates vivid mental pictures.

Coherence: logical flow and connection between ideas and paragraphs.

I think whenever you write something, these are really important “terms” to follow, so that your writing is clear and making sense. Also with imagery, you are able to give your audience “mental” pictures.

2. Leoddy

1. Clarity: Writing should be easy to understand without unnecessary complexity.

(Clear writing ensures the reader can follow your ideas.)

2. Logic: The flow of writing should be smooth, with each sentence and paragraph connected logically.

(Easy to understand)

3. Conciseness: Writing should be as brief as possible while still fully expressing ideas. Avoiding unnecessary words keeps the writing focused. It could also depend if you need major details on your writing sometimes not.

(Less boring to read)

4. Engagement: Writing should grab the reader’s attention and hold it throughout.

(Keep the readers reading)

5. Structure: A well-organized piece helps guide the reader through the argument or story.

(Easier to follow)

6. Precision: The writer should choose the right words to communicate exactly what they mean.

(Make your point clearer)

These six terms are essential to my writing because they help me communicate ideas clearly and effectively. Clarity and conciseness ensure my message is understood without unnecessary complexity, while cohesion and structure allow my writing to flow smoothly. Engagement keeps the reader interested, and precision ensures I use the right words to express exactly what I mean. These elements make my writing stronger and more impactful.

3. Angela Nesmy

Clarity- the quality of being easily understood

Tone- style or manner of expression in speaking or writing (formal, informal, serious, playful, etc.).

Imagery- Descriptive language that appeals to the senses, helping readers visualize.

Audience- a reading, viewing, or listening public.

Hook- A compelling opening that grabs the reader’s attention.

Grammar- Correct use of rules governing language, crucial for professionalism and clarity.

Theme- The underlying message or main idea that gives depth to the writing.

Ernest Hemingway is known for his concise and minimalist style. He uses short, direct sentences and precise language to convey deep emotional truths. His work The Old Man and the Sea is well known for possessing traits of a good writing. 

I believe that the traits that I listed are important in writing, because when its considered by a writer it will lead to creating a good writing that can hook readers and make them understand the underlying message of a writing easily.

• Rafael Marin

Clarity: This refers to the ability to express ideas in a way that is easily understood. Writing should avoid ambiguity and convoluted sentences

Tone: The attitude of the writer toward the subject or audience. It can be formal, informal, serious playful etc

Conciseness: The skill of conveying ideas with minimal and precise words. It helps avoid unnecessary details and keeps the writing focused

Flow: Flow refers to how well ideas transition from one to another. It’s about smoothness, how logically one thought leads to the next, making the writing feel natural and cohesive

Voice: This term refers to the unique style of the writer shaped by tone syntax and diction. A strong voice makes writing distinctive and personal

Imagery: Imagery involves creating vivid pictures in the reader’s mind through descriptive language It appeals to the senses and adds depth to writing

Purpose: Every piece of writing should have a clear purpose—whether to inform, entertain, or persuade. Purpose guides the structure and content

4. Qianying Zheng

1. Convey

2. Expound

3. Underscore

4. Elucidate

5. Articulate

Many authors use these good terms when writing articles. I think to write good works, you need to add some good terms to make the whole article look more advanced.

5. Maria Quezada

1. Clarity: The ability of being clear and simple to comprehend.
    2. Precision: The accuracy and clarity of the word choice to express an idea.
    3. Tone: Word choice and tone helps to communicate the author’s perspective or attitude toward the topic or audience.
    4. Simplicity: The communication of ideas using simple and direct language.
    5. Voice: The unique character or writing style that is visible in the work.
    6. Coherence: The way ideas are organized and related logically in writing.

These components serve as a structure for the writing process, offering personality, coherence and clarity to attracts readers.

6. Alejandra

1. Clarity: Being clear and easy to understand without confusion.
    2. Engagement: keeping the readers interested and hooked.
    3. structure: Being organized and put together to make sense.
    4. Unique: have personality as a writer and make the messages unique.
    5. Grammar: make sure that there is not mistakes in the grammar, and use synonym to avoid repeating words.

And Pathos, Logos, and Ethos is very important in the moment of writing.

To me, these terms are super important for a good writing, for example, every time I have to write an essay I open google to search for synonyms and use a translate just in case I forget any words in English. that way, I can write a clear and effective essay.