Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Fall 2023

11/13/23: Unit 3: Writing in a New Genre Research Project

Now that you’re working on your first draft of your final research project, it is time to revisit a couple of questions regarding this project to see how your thinking about it has changed and evolved since you started thinking about this topic. In your free write today, write an abstract (description/summary of your project) that answers the following questions, not listed one by one (like Question>>Answer, Question>>Answer), but in paragraph (more of a narrative) form. Your description should describe your project to anyone potentially interested in your topic who might want to learn more about it. Our free writes have been similar to this for the past week and a half or so, and the reason is that I really want you to think about how your research topic connects to you personally and why you care about it (even if that means writing about the fact that your research topic will lead to the kind of good job that you want). I’m not afraid of repeating, if the reflection clarifies our ideas to ourselves! Here are the questions to address, in narrative form:

1. What is your research topic? Name the topic in one sentence/question.
  2. How did you decide upon your research topic? Be specific.
  3. In what way do you feel personally connected to your topic (i.e. why do you care about it)?
  4. Provide a 1-2 sentence statement of what you want to teach your audience (the most important thing you learned in the Reflective Annotated Bibliography in Unit 2) 
  5. What is the specific audience you are trying to reach (I know you’ve shared this with me, but I’m wondering if your ideas have changed or evolved since you started. “Everyone” is not a sufficient answer) and why they should care?
  6. The genre you are planning to write in and why you chose it (some of you have changed your genre)
  7. A plan – now that you’ve written your first draft, how do you think you can improve this project?
  8. Anything you might be worried about. What are your concerns about finishing this project? 

1. Fairlay

My research topic is “How the media and the sports world  are trying to limit the support of Palestine”. My previous topic was about racism in the NFL when it came to head coaching hirings. I decided to switch topics because i think my new topic is a bigger issue. I feel personally connected to this topic because it makes me angry to see the media push the narrative that Palestine is in the wrong for the conflict that’s going right now with Israel which is far from the truth. The reason I care about the Israel Palestine war is because i have Palestinian friends and also because i can not stand seeing children get killed daily. I want to teach my audience about how the media and sports world are very biased against Palestine. My audience is my classmates and the reason they should care is because this is a very important topic. The genre i plan on writing this in is Slideshow. I do not have any concerns about finishing this project.

2. Daria

1. What is your research topic? Name the topic in one sentence/question.        â€” The Impact of Social Media Influencers on Consumer Purchase Intentions in the Beauty Industry. 
    2.   How did you decide upon your research topic? Be specific.           â€” I chose my research topic based on my interest in marketing, social media, and the beauty industry. I find it fascinating to explore and analyze data in this particular sector of marketing.
    3.   In what way do you feel personally connected to your topic (i.e. why do you care about it)?                      â€” I feel personally connected to my topic because it aligns with my interests, and it’s an area I have yet to explore in depth. My curiosity drives me to understand the finer details.
    4.   Provide a 1-2 sentence statement of what you want to teach your audience (the most important thing you learned in the Reflective Annotated Bibliography in Unit 2)                             â€” I aim to demonstrate to my audience the significant impact that influencers have on businesses within the beauty industry, as well as in other sectors. I also want to introduce them to the dynamic world of influencer collaborations.
    5.   What is the specific audience you are trying to reach (I know you’ve shared this with me, but I’m wondering if your ideas have changed or evolved since you started. “Everyone” is not a sufficient answer) and why they should care?                               â€” I am targeting businesswomen and businessmen in the beauty industry who have established or are establishing a business but have not yet leveraged social media for marketing. They should care because understanding the power of social media can significantly enhance their business’s reach and success.
    6.   The genre you are planning to write in and why you chose it (some of you have changed your genre)            â€” I am planning to create content in the video genre because it offers a dynamic way to engage an audience. However, I still need some time to finalize my plans. 
    7.   Aplan – now that you’ve written your first draft, how do you think you can improve this project?                 â€” Now that I’ve written the first draft, I believe I can improve this project by refining my content with a clearer narrative, strengthening my argument with more robust evidence, and enhancing the production quality of my video to ensure better viewer engagement. 
    8.   Anything you might be worried about. What are your concerns about finishing this project?                         â€” Reflecting on the previous questions, my concerns about finishing the project include ensuring that the final video content is engaging and informative enough to impact the intended audience effectively. Additionally, I’m focused on the challenges of thoroughly planning the content and the technical aspects of video production within the project timeline.
  3. Rojina

1- My topic is” Teens effect of texting.” 2- In my family I had a lot of teenagers growing up during this period I see how their behaviour also I have one of my friend her son effect mentally from texting he was a very smart boy need to be an engineer but now he change his mine by only being a cashier on supermarket. 3- I have mentored many young adults, specifically teenagers and seen how at times responding to texts can feel more urgent than prioritising their physical, emotional, and mental wellness. I have seen firsthand teenagers lose sleep to stay up texting, or communicating on social media. 4-I believe that texting can have a positive impact on teenagers, however it needs to be done in moderation. Things like sleep are essential to the development of teenagers, and should not be jeopardised especially in a vulnerable point in their live. 5- I would like to share my project with my classmate as many of them teenagers age , For parents who has children raising now because they have to ware about their children. Also, teens who get on tool by texting. 6- I will make genre by papers searches for giving a why teens get effect from texting and Giving to raise awareness about the harm that will befall them. 7- I could improve it by giving reader and listener many List sufficient reasons to convince anyone who reads and listens on this topic. 8- I’m scared of My topic will not convince the audience to whom this idea is directed.

• Joshua Belknap

Comment (Private): (show)

NOTE: Private response is visible only to instructors and to the post’s author.

4. Jimin Yoon

1. What is your research topic? Name the topic in one sentence/question.

My research topic is about pharmaceutical medicines and how any medicines could be dangerous and addictive.

2. How did you decide upon your research topic? Be specific.

The professor gave me ideas and my Unit 2 is related to pharmaceuticals so I continued the topic but in a specific medicine or drug.

3. In what way do you feel personally connected to your topic (i.e. why do you care about it)?

I’m interested in what effects this has on society and how dangerous medicines can be.

4. Provide a 1-2 sentence statement of what you want to teach your audience (the most important thing you learned in the Reflective Annotated Bibliography in Unit 2) 

Not everything that doctors prescribe medicines that can be addictive, and ruin your life.

5. What is the specific audience you are trying to reach (I know you’ve shared this with me, but I’m wondering if your ideas have changed or evolved since you started. “Everyone” is not a sufficient answer) and why they should care?

People who don’t know much about medicines like me, and could just, take anything they tell us it’s good and don’t know any description about it.

6. The genre you are planning to write in and why you chose it (some of you have changed your genre)

I chose to show it in an informative way.

7. A plan – now that you’ve written your first draft, how do you think you can improve this project?

Rewriting and finding more information that could help the first draft and check it over and over again.

8. Anything you might be worried about. What are your concerns about finishing this project? 

If it’s not enough information to persuade or make the audience understand or find people who experienced it. 

5. Jguarango21

My research project is about how the U.S. border is used to smuggle legal guns across to the Mexican cartel. In other words. From seller to smuggler, tracing guns across the U.S.-Mexican border. It started off one-day eating lunch when I opened YouTube and saw a documentary about this topic. I’ve always been interested in this type of information.  Days later in public speaking, we were told to start our research project for the informative speech, and I had already seen a topic.

Honestly, I don’t feel connected at all. There is nothing related to me with that topic. The reason I care about it is because of the lives It has taken away from the public. And what can be done to these people?

What I want to the audience know is how the Mexican cartels are being fueled with firearms by the U.S. And, what the main method of smuggling involves, Mexican authorities and American authorities.

Mostly people who do not know much about organized crime in South America. It will also let them know that there are problems with death and corruption not only in European countries. Most people need to be informed about what goes on around the world.

I could say it easier in a way. I have my index cards ready with my visual aids. All I need to do is explain. It is a speech anyway. Honestly just by reading what I have written. Just verify if there is coherence and if its legible. Worried about the images I’ve shown there even though they are censored. But other than that, just get a good grade. 

6. Dave Desrivieres

“How has gun violence affected young people in New York City?” is my research question. To elaborate a bit, I chose this topic because I am a part of this tragedy and I feel personally threatened by it. I think that learning more about it will help me fully understand it better. In my case, since this problem impacted one of my buddies. He was, after all, shot in the leg one day, but thankfully, he survived. As a result, I am more driven to study more about it because I could experience it myself and no one is really that careful. However, people in New York should not ignore this issue. I want to demonstrate to the audience how the younger generation needs assistance in order to leave the streets in order to pursue higher education. My objective in organizing this project is to make it more visually appealing by combining text and photographs, which allows it to convey the pain that many young people have been through in recent years. Lastly, knowing that I should have covered this topic more, I could be concerned about what other teenagers would say when I finish this project. 

7. MD Azizur

• Research Topic Statement:

My research topic is “Global Dynamics: Analyzing the Impact of Key Industries in Bangladesh on Economic Empowerment.” I chose this topic to showcase my small country’s growing economy.

• Selection of Research Topic:

I selected this topic because I identified key industries that significantly impact my country’s economy. Many countries rely on specific economic factors to enhance their policies, contribute to modernization, and foster development. I aim to align my research with global economic trends.

• Personal Connection to the Topic:

This topic resonates with my previous project, Unit 2, where I explored how the Ready Made Garments (RMG) industry contributes about 85% to our GDP. My curiosity and the desire to expand my knowledge about my country’s economic landscape drove me to delve deeper into this subject.

• Teaching Audience from Reflective Annotated Bibliography:

Through the Reflective Annotated Bibliography, I’ve learned the art of organizing research writing. I now understand how to make my writing more comfortable, professional, and engaging for the audience, fostering a passion for reading.

Basically A Reflective Annotated Bibliography is a compilation of cited sources accompanied by brief summaries and reflections. Each entry typically includes a concise summary of the source’s content, followed by a reflection on its relevance, credibility, and potential contribution to the research topic. It allows researchers to demonstrate their understanding of the literature and articulate how each source informs their perspective or research direction.

• Target Audience and Significance:

My primary audience includes classmates, professors, and those curious about how small countries manage their ceremonies and Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Understanding these dynamics is crucial for comprehending global economic intricacies.

• Chosen Writing Genre:

The chosen genre for the topic “Global Dynamics: Analyzing the Impact of Key Industries in Bangladesh on Economic Empowerment” is academic or research writing. This aligns with the fields of economics, international relations, and business studies.

• Improvement Plan:

In progressing with my research, I plan to search for effective sources with proper citations. Utilizing library sources and Google Scholar will enhance the credibility and depth of my work.

• Concerns about the Project:

I am not overly concerned about the project, given the accessibility of resources through the internet. The convenience of obtaining information makes the research process more efficient and accessible than before.

8. marylin

My main research topic is “phone usage affects us mentally?” Upon deciding on my research topic I chose this due since it’s pretty much relevant to today’s topic especially within the use of technology that we rely on 24/7. Personally I believe this is a topic not everyone would think about when uses our technical devices, what i’m referring to say is i feel like the majority of individuals realize some sort of effects that can impact us negativity and they choose to ignore it but proceeds using it .I would want to let my audience know the importance regarding yourself and understanding evidential proof. involving the audience, it would be only towards those who are willing to be interested in knowing the consequences of our daily routines, anyone interested in technology causes. Based on genre I have few ideas such as writing it as a regular article style online, which makes sense since the topic is based on technology. For improvement I would improve the real relevant source and explanation involved. One of my main concerns is definitely making sure it all makes sense and more understandable.

9. Anja Rrasa

1. Research Topic: “How Bad Childhood Experiences Affect Grown-Up Minds.”
    2. Decision on Research Topic: I chose this topic because I’ve seen how tough experiences in childhood can stick with people as they grow up. It’s personal for me and the people I care about.
    3. Personal Connection to the Topic: I care about this because I’ve seen friends and family struggle with tough childhood experiences. I want to understand how these experiences affect people’s minds as adults.
    4. Teaching Audience: I want to tell people, especially those who work in mental health, about how childhood experiences can shape adult mental health. This knowledge can help us find better ways to support people who’ve been through tough times.
    5. Target Audience and Why They Should Care: I’m talking to people who care about mental health, like researchers, therapists, and people who make rules about mental health care. They should care because knowing how childhood experiences affect mental health can help us do a better job of helping those who need it.
    6. Genre and Choice: I plan to write this in a way that everyone can understand. Instead of using complicated words, I want to explain things in a simple and clear manner so that anyone, whether they’re a scientist or not, can learn about how tough childhood experiences affect our minds as we grow up.
    7. Improvement Plan: I’ll make my study better by looking more closely at different parts of tough childhood experiences, like what exactly happens and how long it happens. This will help me learn more and explain it better.
    8. Concerns about Finishing the Project: My main worry is handling the feelings that come with this topic. It’s personal, but I need to stay focused on the facts and what we can learn. It might be hard, but I’m determined to do it well.