Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2022

Class Writing Activity 4/11/22

Now that weā€™re about halfway through the semester, letā€™s reflect on this class and think about the learning outcomes weā€™re aiming for, and give this writing course a review. First, letā€™s look at the learning outcomes of the ENG 1101:

English 1101 Learning Outcomes:

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: Identify and evaluate exigencies, purposes, claims, supporting evidence, and underlying assumptions in a variety of texts, genres, and media.

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: Adapt writing conventions in ways that are suitable to different exigencies and purposes in a variety of contexts, including academic, workplace, and civic audiences. When appropriate, repurpose prior work to new genres, audiences, and media by adjusting delivery, design, tone, organization, and language.

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments. Persuasively communicate and repurpose research projects across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media. Demonstrate research skills through attribution and citation gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing both primary and secondary sources. Learn how to use appropriate citation styles depending on disciplinary and situational requirements (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations. Students write reflections of their own reading and writing process from the beginning and throughout the semester with the intention to transfer their acquired knowledge about genre and composing practices into new writing situations.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Recognize that first-year writing includes academic, workplace, and civic contexts, all of which require careful deliberation concerning the ethical and social ramifications concerning fairness, inclusivity, and respect for diversity. Write and revise for academic and broader, public audiences accordingly.

Compose in 21stā€“ Century Environments: Learn to choose among the most current and effective delivery methods for different composing situations. Students learn to compose in new media environments, including alphabetic texts, still and moving images, sonic, and mixed media compositions. Use digital media platforms appropriate to audience and purpose.

These learning outcomes are listed on our syllabus. Write about how much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes. What do we need to work on from the above outcomes? What questions do you have about these goals? Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal, which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. Donā€™t be afraid to admit youā€™re not sure or are confused about a particular outcome/goal. Let me know how you think we can improve this class. We should discuss and make a plan together as a class! Post here in the comment section below.

1. Laziza Naimova

I think that we are pretty much making and catching up on everything working towards these learning outcomes.

What we need to work on from the above outcomes is “Compose in 21stā€“ Century Environments”.

I dont have any questions, however I am confused about the “Compose in 21stā€“ Century Environments” outcome.

I believe the goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester in order to finish Unit 2 and as well as Unit 3 are “Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives”, “Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres”, and “Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations”.

2. Geovany Flores

I think I have made a lot more progress in my English skill such as talking, reading and listening I think that I still have a lot to learn about my writing skills because I have a lot of grammar issues. As class I think we have made a lot of process because the professor have manage to make groups and work in different activities which help a lot to communicate with others and also helps us to understand and organize our ideas in different areas in the project we might be working on.

Itā€™ll be better from my point of view if we keep working in groups because I feel like that have help us a lot improving with our English skills. I can also suggest that as a class we should work in the small areas such as verbs, prefix, suffix etc.

My goal for this class is that at the end I want to feel prepared, I want to feel how much I have improved with my English, so far itā€™s getting better and better hoping that everyone can learn a little bit of each topic and from each unit of this class.

As a class we should also focus in the essays because I feel like that we not putting that much effort to say we already have something to show , itā€™ll be a great idea if we focus a little more in our research project that way when fue day comes we are ready to hand it in.

My biggest issue about this class that really concern me is my grammar because I looked at my essay sometimes and I feel like I have a lot to improve in the specific area , and also how to work in past, present , future, prefix and suffix.

3. Adam Bajwa

The progress I think that I am making up on everything in the class towards the learning outcomes.
    Iā€™m not confused about anything but I am confused about using reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing. The second thing Iā€™m confused about is research project Unit 2.

4. Tayef Rahaman

I think I have made a lot more progress in my English skills such as talking, reading and listening. I think that I still have a lot to learn about my writing skills because I have a lot of grammar issues. As class I think we have made a lot of process because the professor have manage to make groups and work in different activities which help a lot to communicate with others and also helps us to understand and organize our ideas in different areas in the project we might be working on and My biggest issue about this class that really concern me is my grammar because I looked at my essay sometimes and I feel like I have a lot to improve in the specific area , and also how to work in past, present , future, prefix and suffix.

5. Emely

We are working properly to reach our goals in this course. Weā€™ve been doing great group activities that have helped us to get a better understanding of genres and rhetorical thinking. We should keep working on group activities in class since that will get us more engaged with the topic and weā€™ll all be able to participate.

I consider that for the rest of the semester we should focus on this goal: ā€œuse research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectivesā€. This goal is extremely important and should be a priority for us to develop research questions, as well as to learn about different topics.

I donā€™t have any questions!

6. Sabina Akhi

I believe the results of education are listed in our syllabus. I am very happy to be working towards the results of education. I am trying my best to achieve my class. I think I have made a lot more progress in my English skills such as talking, reading, and listening. I think that I still have a lot to learn about my writing skills because I have a lot of grammar issues. I understand this”Compose in 21stā€“ Century Environments”.One of the things we need to do from the above results is to “compose in a 21st-century environment”.I donā€™t have any questions, however, I am confused about the research project. I believe that the goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester to finish Unit 2, as well as Unit 3, are “use research as a process of exploration and engagement with more perspective”, “adapt and compose genres with a variety, and” Read and listen critically and analytically to different genres and rhetorical situations “.

7. Aleksandra Patyra

In my opinion we are making a big progress as a group and as individuals too. I personally feel that I improved my writing and reading skills a lot already. I enjoy the group activities and I think we should work in groups more often. We should also focus more on the major assignments form Unit 2 and 3. I am still not feeling confident to start working on the Unit 2 assignment. I still have a lot to learn, especially about grammar. Maybe few more grammar exercises would help me and the group in general.

8. Soufiana Togola

In this class, I think I have improved a lot on my reading, writing, annotating, summarizing etc ā€¦ due to my hard work and how much focused I am in the classroom. To improve more in my writing skill I suggested that I be direct in my writing. To know that Good writing is clear and concise, Choose my words wisely, and how to review and edit it, Use of a natural, conversational tone and mostly take examples from famous authors.

9. Esmeralda Ensaldo

I would say that we have a clear understanding of most of the learning outcomes. We have broken down most of the outcomes when we’ve had a new class reading. When we discuss a piece of writing we point out the main idea(s), what the author is trying to say when a sentence may seem confused, who the audience is, and we’ve also wrote like a response to that piece of writing. In those discussions we have worked on #1, 2, and 3 learning outcomes. We have had read in different genres and even though in the begging we may haven’t notice that, when we talked about genre and their characteristics, we analyzed the readings we had so far and noticed the differences as well as the rhetorical situations of each of them. I believe since we discuss each piece of writing we are constantly working on outcome 1 and somehow 2 as well. We identify purposes, claims, evidence in a variety of text, genres, and media (like the videos we look/listen at). Moreover, we are using ”reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing” when we say what we think about the reading and someone else adds up or don’t agree with us. Also when we post comments in Perusall we are discussing and reflecting on the class readings. As we work with the research work, I think we are having a better understanding on the research process. We already started by narrowing our topic. And I think we’ll also go through “Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing” since we may talk about some controversial topics. Overall, I believe we’ve covered and are covering the last outcomes with the projects we are working on as well as the work we do during class.