Homework #2

After watching the video  of Carrie Rae Weems, “From Here I Saw What Happened and I Cried.”, I found that Weems has transformed  J.T. Zealy’s daguerreotypes of slaves that were used for scientific purposes into the photographs of the people with stories behind. In  J.T. Zealy’s works, the people have no significant meaning in the photographs but as the objects for scientific study; however, Weems used appropriation to make these photographs to have a utterly different meaning. The major differences I found is that Weems used a monochrome red and she added texts. The appropriation she used revealed the facts about the inequity and mistreatment in the black history. The colors in this series of photographs are mostly dark and bloody, which gives me intense feelings of anger and sadness. The texts narrate the development of the black history in the way of criticizing the inequity of race. Weems’s photographic project reminds me how inhuman the slavery was. This project is depicting how black people were treated as the inferiors and less than a human being; therefore, Weems’s work is also sending a powerful message to the public that we as an human being shouldn’t treat another human being differently base on their skin color. Without the text, I think even though we might not be able to know the stories behind each individual, the photographs are still very powerful and impressive.