Homework #2: The Civil War Tintype and Modern Soldiers

Ed Drew, "Lieutenant/Co-Pilot", tintype

Ed Drew, “Lieutenant/Co-Pilot”, tintype

Frederick Scott Archer’s wet-plate collodion process dominated photographic production in the mid-19th century.  There were three options with the wet-plate process, you could produce a glass negative or an ambrotype (a glass negative with dark backing) or a tintype (also known as a ferrotype). A glass negative allowed one to pull numerous paper copies and this was the method practiced by Civil War photographers such as Matthew Brady and Alexander Gardner. As noted in class, many itinerant photographers produced tintypes during the Civil War preserving portraits of soldiers for loved ones, and now as historical documents.

San Francisco-area National Guard reservist Ed Drew has revived the tintype, perhaps the most popular wet plate process of the 19th century. While deployed as a helicopter aerial gunner in Afghanistan in the Spring 2013, Drew took tintypes of his fellow soldiers. These were the first tintypes produced in a combat zone since the Civil War. Watch a short CBS news segment on Drew’s photographs and look through the slideshow of his work. What do you think of the revival of this old process to document modern warfare?

Video on Ed Drew’s photography

Slideshow of Ed Drew’s photographs

To complete this homework assignment, note whether you Post or Comment. For Homework #2, Diamonds and Spades will submit a Post and Hearts and Clubs will Comment (choose any of your classmates’ posts to comment on).

Homework #2 is DUE by Thursday October 15th.‹ Diamonds and Spades Post, Clubs and Hearts Comment. Please note your blog group! Email me if you forget.

This entry was posted in Homework and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Homework #2: The Civil War Tintype and Modern Soldiers

1. In modern day times, old ways are pretty much non-existent. The Solider who decided to bring back this old way of photography is definitely an unique individual. I think his reasoning behind taking these photos using this process was to capture more than the actual photograph. These photos aren’t just on an ordinary digital camera or a smart phone. They are physical copies of these people in combat. the authenticy of the photographs captures and gives more of a story behind these pictures.

• Soledad says:

I totally agree with you. It’s amazing how this soldier integrated his passion of photography into a place where its extremely dangerous and anything can happen. He safely return from his mission and now he can tell his son his experience. The soldier point in taking tintypes in his mission was to let us see the reality of what they had to go through each day and this is what makes them unique and authentic. Now in days we tend take pictures using our smartphones or digital cameras and post them in social media. The modern times no longer exist now in days to take a photograph. Now in days we can edit, Photoshop and add filters which takes the aunthencity of this photographs.

• The use of forms in photography like Tintype are so rare presently, because of modern technology, that it is a unique and authentic way to capture a person, as they are, which is why I agree with your comment. I’m not on the battlefield, I’ve never held a gun or had to risk my life for someone, yet at times I would sit and honestly think soldiers are inhumane; I look at these photos and it’s like a behind the scenes of the environment, their attire, and most important, their attitude; they are not smiling. The audience can get an idea as to how this world of war changes people. There is no editing of lighting, facial expressions, or staging, for this camera involves the subjects to sit for a while, and that is what makes it more realistic, makes them human. It is true that from past and present “The face of war hasn’t changed” (CBS NEWS); and isn’t it amazing that, years and years from now, it’s probable these photos will be an important part of history, therefore in a museum?

• Ryan Wong says:

I also agree, while pursuing a degree in fine arts at the San Francisco Art Institute he was deployed to Afghanistan. It is amazing that this solider brought his passion of arts in photography to Afghanistan. He used these photo tintypes to show to his beloved son that he is still there for him. These pictures are not ordinary pictures it has great meaning behind them. It expresses the brave and great men and women who served this great country. For example the picture with the helicopter in the background the solders look fearless and ready for combat. Drew the one who photographed these pictures went through hardship to take these photos for us, “he dealt with heat, dryness, dust, and lack of equipment.” Drew served our country and went through tough situations to get these photos to the American public, and he succeeded.

2. ahadnahida says:

This is a great way to show another viewpoint on how one sees war. Soldiers as this bizarre and absurd machine built to kill. Ed Drew shows these soldiers when they are in their “human” zone. His pictures show that they are still humans and real people. He could have used a regular camera and taken pictures. That would have been a faster process and captured moments right on time instead of waiting 10 mins to set up, focus, and take the picture. Soldiers did not have time to be in one spot for that long. But Ed Drew decided to use this way to document war soldiers at their most vulnerable or human moments. Pictures taken with regular cameras can be played with and manipulated but these pictures are the real deal. Every flaw is shown. It shows the truth and that is why I think this is an amazing way to capture modern warfare.

• Nicole says:

I definitely agree with you. Even though the process of using an older method of photography took longer, it gives this effect of how real the soldiers’ situation is. It makes him seem like a really unique person; he takes the time out of doing his job to capture a moment in the life of a soldier. Even if it is a “staged” photo because he has to position them, it doesn’t take away from the fact that they are real people in real situations.

3. Irina says:

Nowadays, technological advances allow us to take multiple pictures within seconds using digital cameras, smart phones or even watch (Apple watch). Modern photography has no boundary. Any photo can be taken and shared anywhere without geographical or time zone restrictions.However, more and more photographers are putting aside their advanced cameras and experimenting with old school cameras such as Lomos, vintage Polaroids etc.
    In my opinion, Ed Drew opted to use Tintype, as photography for him is not just taking pictures and documenting events and people. He takes the whole process personally. There are so many factors that can go wrong and ruin the image ( movement, lack of time, environmental disadvantages, military action etc), that each shot becomes very dear and valuable. He put his soul and efforts in each shot bringing photo shooting to another level. Drew feels responsible for each photo, what if it’s the last picture of these individuals.

• ggodfrey says:

I agree with you. I think that he uses the tintype process because it makes it authentic and unique. I love using my Polaroid camera because to me it’s like have a unique image cause you can’t just reprint the image on have to retake the whole photo. The tintype makes it look like a vintage photo and even though it takes longer it gives it a nice touch. Even though it might bestaged cause it does take longer it still looks really cool and authentic. I feel like for him to use such an old process he must really like the way it looks and cares about how it looks.

4. For modern date documentation it isn’t necessary nor practical to have tintypes made of the soldiers in Afghanistan, however Ed Drew made them for a different reason, it was a personal dream to have them made for his son. The person who most likely will have the biggest connection to the tintypes are Ed Drew himself. Just like in the 19th century the images fail to show more of the actual war, Ed Drew has to make his fellow soldiers pose and stand, and just like in 19th century tintype photography it is obvious that Ed Drew has to also deal with lighting. So, What do I think of the revival of this old process to document modern warfare? impractical, inaccurate, flawed, but unique in every way.

5. Jose N says:

Today we are in era that to take a picture we really don’t need a lot effort to take it, is such one click away. Meaning that the picture is not as meaningful and really is just there to see it. Is all different when you use a old way to take a picture. When we take a photo with a old camera we can see what he had to do to take the picture. Ed Drew take the picture, he had to considers a lot of things that can go wrong like he has little time to take a picture, the environment can’t be on his favor, the lighting, and other factors. For Ed drew to take a picture he had to put a lot of work on it he also had to love to do it. All this Factor I believe Ed drew wanted to show us when he took the photo using the wet-plate process tintypes.

• Daniel says:

Ed Drew wanted to create something memorable and kind of tell a story of these soldiers who risk their lives everyday for us. He felt like using the wet-plate process tintypes can really capture these peoples lives in the image more then a modern day camera could. In our era today we do not have to do a lot to capture an image, all we have to do is take our phones out and press a button. With all the filters and editing we have available to us now it almost feels everyone can be a photographer. What Ed Drew did shows that he was really passionate about photography and the tintype plates because the conditions he had to work with were not in his favor, such as lighting and sand/dust, and he still went through all that trouble too capture some images.

6. Jamile Brito says:

The fact that Ed Drew wanted to demonstrate through his photography the reality of what these soldiers put themselves through while risking their lives, it is remarkably humane. When he used the wet-plate process (tintype) he definitely made these photographs come to life, which not only would people feel some type of appreciation and connection but it also gives us the ability to empathize with it. What caught my attention was that while he spare some time to take theses wonderful and memorable photographs he did it with such a passion. Also, since he wanted to portray a storytelling photograph it is what makes us appreciate his work more. Nowadays, people would take pictures with their phones which also allows us to have access to filters. But the problem with that is that it makes a meaningful photograph look less realistic. In essence, I believe that what Ed Drew did with modern photography is breathtaking.

• Bibi Ali says:

I agree. The way the photograph was taken shows the reality of what they all go through. There is no time for a one second smile; the expression on their face says it all. Their facial expression says that there is no time for games. Since it takes a bit longer to take the picture you can see where there heart is. It’s in the job that they do, which is to fight to protect the ones they care about. I also agree with the fact that it shows the humanity they have. And nowadays people can easily alter images with a click of a button. I feel that this process that he had revived to document modern warfare is priceless, these types of pictures capture the very important moments that take place in history. The atmosphere this process creates is very stern and serious. I think that they might last longer as time goes by because sometimes technology can be a bit trippy so you don’t know if digital copies might get ruined or deleted by accident. But overall, it’s a great way to savior our saviors.

7. While the photos are without a doubt striking and done with great skill I do believe that this is another case of old becoming new again. Tintype’s were once new and innovative for their time and then they faded into the darkness as a faster and brighter way of photography was introduced. Yet as the years go by we tend to be fed up with the technology and go back to the old tried and true ways. I do believe that since photos are so instant this makes us so vein because we can instantaneously look at a photo and say I don’t like it take another but when we have a tintype we appreciate the process and hard work it took to process the pictures, thus they become more valuable to us.

8. Kevin Michalkiewicz says:

Just the reason that Ed Drew took the time to take tintypes shows how significant they are. Tintypes cannot match a photo taken through an iPhone or digital camera. The time and effort needed to make a tintype alone is demanding. Holding poses, and making sure the person is positioned correctly is hard to accomplish. The finished tintype results in a photograph that has meaning behind it and it allows its audience and loved ones to make a connection. Reviving the tintype will remind people of its importance. The effort and passion put forth by Ed Drew is truly astonishing. I believe that Ed Drew made the right decision in taking tintypes during warfare to capture such meaningful photos.

• Nicole Romero says:

I agree with you 100%, Tintypes have created these beautiful pictures that take time and handwork. Unlike todays era, we can easily take a picture from a phone and edit with photoshop and applications. Ed Drew’s images were raw because he still had to deal with complications such as lighting, sand, dust, etc. These pictures tell a story and recreate what was. Even if it may be ‘staged’ ,it doesn’t take away from the fact that they are real people in real situations.

9. Xiomara says:

I believe that Ed Drew did an outstanding work for his passion on photography. Bringing back the tintype photography in today’s modern world is a great idea because it good to bring the old ways back since none of this stuff are being used anymore especially in warfare. We have all seen images of soldiers, but they don’t show the same emotion and attraction as these do. Perhaps is because this man took his time and dedication on taking these images that makes them very especial. Furthermore, these extraordinary tintypes show their uniqueness very different from todays’ images that we take on our electronics. Drew’s project on tintypes would make history in today’s era since they have been gone for way to long.