ARTH1100 TuTh History of Photography F2015

active 3 years, 8 months ago
Humanities
ARTH1100

“Black and white is the vision of hope and despair. This is what I want in my photographs.” — Robert Frank

This course surveys the history of photography from its beginnings in the early nineteenth century to the present. We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

Homework #7

The theme that was addressed in Robert Franks photographs is the national pride of America. Frank […] See MoreHomework #7

Homework #7: Robert Frank's America

For this homework assignment, please watch a short video on last year's exhibition at Stanford […] See MoreHomework #7: Robert Frank's America

Homework#6

Food photography is currently one of the trending photography topic there is as of today. Although […] See MoreHomework#6

It think Robert Frank's photos were very artistic and political. Although many photographers hated […] See More

I agree food photography has been very trendy, however on the marketing side they make the food […] See More

I agree, the theme of Robert Frank’s photograph is artistic and political. The way he photograph t […] See More