Pictures of Pictures

The definition of art and photography has changed over time. In this generation, anything can be considered as art and capturing a moment is much easier than it was centuries ago. In my opinion art is something that can be aesthetic, has beauty or makes a statement. Sculptures, paintings, photographs, and displays in motion are the most common forms of art. I agree with Roberta Smith on the fact that in today’s generation most people use their cell phones to take photographs or capture a moment than using a professional or digital camera. Taking a photo is easier than it was centuries ago and convenient because cameras are now built into cell phones. I believe that professional photographs are a form of art because time is spent on the setting, the lighting, and the message the photograph is going to portray. Taking pictures of a picture is not an issue to me because everyone wants to remember or capture photos that they like and share with their friends and family. I only see this as an issue if the person claims that taking a photo of another photo is considered art because it is not original and does not belong to them. Credit should always be given to the original artist or photographer.

2 Responses to Pictures of Pictures

1. Sandra Cheng says:

Thanks Tiffany for being the first to post on a Discussion Topic!

2. Anna says:

“When the camera takes over the eye” written by Roberta Smith; the title speaks for itself! Ms. Smith is trying to argue that in todays society, people are highly dependent on technology (cameras and cell phones) for the usage of taking pictures. Taking pictures of artwork takes the focus away from experiencing the moment and visualizing. They are unaware of the simplicity of capturing the moment visual/mentally. You as the secondary photographer, do not get the chance to see the bigger picture in which the artist is portraying, due to your attention being drawn to capturing the picture. I do agree with Ms. Smith’s opinion on the usage of cameras in relation to art, thus capturing a picture through a camera gives one the opportunity to remember the art work, along with the opportunity of sharing these photos with others. In retrospect, we may not remember every detail that was put into a piece of work therefore cameras are beneficial for us. My personal opinion based on taking pictures of pictures; I feel as though we should first capture the work through our eyes, get a basic understanding of the work and try to connect to the image. Lastly capture the image through a professional camera for remembrance.