Discussion Topic: The 2013 Year in Photography

Daniel Etter, Protests in Istanbul, Turkey, June 1, 2013

It is December, not only the end of the semester but the end of the year when Top 10 lists fill the news. Time magazine has just released their Top 10 photos of the year. Look through their choices as you consider the power of documentary photography. Time plans to dedicate the last issue of the 2013 year (December 23rd edition) to the art and power of photography. Click on the first photograph to begin sliding through the images. Warning: some photographs are graphic and difficult to look at. Choose an image to briefly discuss the power of photography to document current events.

Click here for Time’s 2013 Top 10 Pictures of the Year

The DUE DATE to submit your blog posts for this topic is Sunday, December 15th.

This entry was posted in Discussion Topics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Discussion Topic: The 2013 Year in Photography

1. Fred says:

I choose the John Tlumacki inmage on the Boston Marathon. This image shows a brief scenery after the bomb exploded during marathon. The police men are shown here trying to help people. You can see from the smoke that something has gone wrong this is why the police is on the scene. It is just sad that an individual could want to ruin a marathon with innocent people.

• diego says:

i agree with Fred, the picture of Boston bombing was such a tragic scenery. people trying to run for a good cause. the police are there to help the runner from the ground. while this was occurring people were running for their lives not knowing what direction to go to. this is one of the top pictures of 2013.

2. lauwingc says:

I choose the picture in Bangladesh by Taslima Akhter. It presents the horrify scene of the building collapse in Bangladesh. The man in the picture uses his body to protect the love one. The building collapse within a second, the couple in the picture embrace each other and spent the last moment together. Even though the body human being is very powerless and weak, but the love relationship is the strongest thing in this world.

• Sandra Cheng says:

I agree that is a beautiful though tragic photo.

• Mahamuda says:

I also chose this picture by Taslima Akhter. I am from Bangladesh and so glad to see that this image has been selected by Time Magazine. This was one of the biggest tragedy that happened in Bangladesh, almost around 1500 people died and 2500 were injured from this tragedy. This image brings tears to my eyes and makes me think how relationship is still so important and emotional in this world. Its better to die with your loved ones rather than dying alone. This image raise question in my mind that what this couple were might thinking in their last breath. In this image the woman was stuck under the concrete first and the guy came later on to save her, but couldn’t save her. Then decided to stay with her when more floor started to collapse and more concrete fell on both of them. It was a horrible thing that happened to these poor labors and their families because not only the family lost their love ones but also lost the source of their living and bread.

• Andy says:

I agree the picture really makes you think about what’s truly important to you. I love the fact that the photo shows this man thinking about his loved one and continuing his role as a protector in the face of death. Whether it be his wife or daughter the photo shows the unconditional love they had dyeing in each others arms. I agree even though tragedy and destruction was every where beauty was the center of attention here

3. TAMiix3 says:

To me Mosa’ab Elshamy’s Cairo Egypt . July 27 2013 was the most powerful . Not saying the others wasnt but they way the photograph was able to take such a clear And close picture means something.

4. Muhammad Hasan says:

I choose “David Jenkins. Seal Island, South Africa. July 26, 2013” the great white shark hunting the fur seal. It shows the moment how the picture comes together when the shark and the seal jumping out of the water right when the picture was taken. It is a nice picture, but the sad truth is that the shark is hunting the seal to have a meal.

5. Verna Fogg says:

John Tlumacki. Boston, Mass., USA. April 15, 2013.

I chose the Boston Bombing photo. Even though all photos dealt with catastrophe, I am more familiar with this particular story. The image is heart felt. There are 4 parts to this image. The hurt runner on the street floor, the crowd of people to the left , flags to the right and the three main police men towering over the man. The policeman all have different facial and body chemistry towards one another. They are together as a team but still have to protect individually. The crowd to the left all look scared and confused and are rumbling off the bleachers to escape. The flags are suppose to resemble that all of use are created equal and we should all stand tall and unite. Something that is clearly false.

6. I choose the Philippe Lopez, Tolosa, Leyte, The Philippines because it was horrific day when a typhoon hit the Philippines and pretty much lost everything they owned like property and even people. In the photo it seems like the only thing that is keeping them like strong is with their statues of what seems to be is Jesus Christ as a child and crosses that they are carrying. They still had faith in their hands that will protect them through the struggle of this storm. It shows that even though they lost a lot of their things, religion and family is what’s keeping them together. Hopefully their prayers to their lord could be answered and end the misery that they will go through.