Golenda, Gabrielle. Architecture, Body, and Mind: Meditation Spaces in the Out-And-Open, 19 Sept. 2017, architizer.com/blog/inspiration/collections/meditation-pavilions/.

The author for this journal starts off by stating that its uncommon for architects to come up with a space that is intended more for temporary use and atmospheric qualities. The author than states that an example of these types of spaces are those that are made for solitude and reflection. The end goal for these spaces, according to Golenda, is to create a space meant for the mind, allowing there to be reflection and meditation. Golenda then provides different examples of these creations that have been built throughout the world. The spaces she shows have connections with the outside and nature, either large windows, large openings or plants in the inside achieves this effect.

I felt like this journal was different than the other sources I used. The journal takes a different take on finding spaces for reflections. The author was able to find spaces that were specifically created for meditation and reflection. One major thing she demonstrated through these spaces was that nature has a major role in creating these spaces. All the examples of the spaces she showed had similarities in color tones and outdoor/ plant like surroundings. I feel like through her showing this she was trying to say that nature plays a major part in allowing for there to be focus and concentration when meditating and reflecting. I definitely agree with this. Being surrounded by plants and nature has definitely allowed me to think deeper. There are times where you definitely need to clear your mind, and one of the best ways is to take a walk outdoors and sort of connect with nature. One of my favorite spaces Golenda shared was the Windhover Contemplative Center by Aidlin Darling Design. If you take a look at the space, it has large windows which creates a connection with the outdoors. The materials also used on the inside creates a calming environment with trees being incorporated as well. This being said, if you find a space that has connections with nature and the outdoors, surrounded maybe by plants, I feel like you found a perfect space for reflection.

The overall tone of the article is calming in a way. There isn’t a lot to read, more so pictures to observe and analyze. All the pictures create a great ambiance that sets a calming tone. I believe the authors intended audience is anyone looking for a space of reflection and meditation. Her purpose is to provide examples of the types of spaces you want to surround yourself in. The genre of this particular source is a journal. I believe the authors work is credible since she has many journals and articles on the site. Also there isn’t anything that seemed false in her writing, and you could tell she is experienced in her knowledge. I liked the authors writing style. She didn’t write a lot but the small amount she wrote was very informative. She provided more pictures and descriptions, but did have a strong introduction that hooked me in to the journal.