9/6 Reading w/notes+Reflection

Assignment has two parts:

1. Readings with notes and 
  2. Reflections on the symbolism of the Brooklyn Bridge towers related to our in-class lab sketching the Brooklyn Bridge towers in different styles (what are some key elements of the towers that makes them iconic). Use the COMMENT feature to respond

Readings: Read these and take brief notes in your journal for each reading. Note any of the following

• important facts including dates and names
  • new things you learned that excite and inspire you
  • questions that arise
  • what information is missing or not in the articles
  • who the audience for the article might be

http://www.history.com/topics/brooklyn-bridge

Finally, an Entrance Worthy of the Brooklyn Bridge, NY Times, 5/9/17

Entry in Encyclopedia of New York City (hard copy handed out)

Entry in Historical Atlas of New York City   (hard copy handed out)

22 thoughts on “9/6 Reading w/notes+Reflection

1. During class today I learned a lot of different facts about The Brooklyn Bridge like John A Roebling and his son were the head designers on the project. I also learned that they both died working on the bridge which was truly interesting and sad.
    The in class activity put the different architectural styles we learned and The Brooklyn Bridge together. Trying to draw the iconic bridge in a different style was both challenging and exciting. Our group was given roman style architecture, which most iconic feature are tall and strong columns. I tried to implement them into my drawing which wasn’t as easy as I thought.

2. Today I learned a lot about the Brooklyn Bridge, for instance the engineers/architects that came up with the design, the Roebling family. I found it interesting how the structure was made with limited technology back in the 1860s and through the 1880s. I learned that it was one of the first documented projects that was photographed. It surprised me how they got heavy cables across each side of the towers when there were no airplanes, it must’ve been hard work back then. In class we drew sketches of what we wanted the bridge to look like in a different style. Our group chose the Roman style of sketching the new bridge. Some of the features in Roman architecture include columns, arches, and domes. We tried to incorporate those ideas into our bridge and we made it symbolize freedom, harmony, and the strength of our nation. It was challenging to create a sketch because I am not good at drawing, overall it was a fun activity and I enjoyed it.

3. On Wednesday, we had an amazing time in the class. In the beginning, we learned about the history of Brooklyn Bridge. I don’t even know there was a sad story how Brooklyn Bridge was built. John Roebling, the engineer of the bridge, injured in freak accident because of this project. And his son, Washington Roebling took place of his father, the most sad thing was that he also died during the construction time of the bridge.
    Further on, we learned about the parts of the bridge, the technique of how this bridge grown up, the architecture styles of the bridge and the surrounding of this bridge. For me, I was interested in the architecture styles of this bridge. It was a huge iconic bridge to connect Manhattan and Brooklyn, it also represents high technique during that period. And it was a gothic revival architecture. In my opinion, its symbolism just like respect to the history and also show off their technique at that time.
    At the end of this class, we grouped in four to redesign this bridge with different styles. We combined all different ideas from each member, and produced a final design. Even though the drawing was not that good, the point was we learned how to produce groupwork, and also we can learn something from other teammates.

4. In class we learned about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge which today is landmark of a tourist attraction, as well as a great location to exercise with extraordinary views. I was excited to learn how the bridge was constructed by the Roebling family. Back in the day they were limited of technology so therefore it was hard to manufacture steel and cable to build the Bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge transformed the neighborhoods on both sides of the bridges. Some Key elements that made the Brooklyn Bridge so unique it was the first ever steel suspension bridge. Another reason why the Brooklyn Bridge was so iconic is because it was the tallest building (towers) during that time . Overall I think John Roebling was an amazing engineer for constructing a job like the Brooklyn Bridge. The pointed arch which is a gothic style is one of my favorite parts of the bridge. The Bridge symbolizes American Progress
    Our in-class sketching of the Brooklyn Bridge was a fun activity. My group was assigned to re sketch the bridge with Neo-Greek architecture. We sketched out our personal bridge first, than took parts of each of our sketch to conduct one overall sketch which came out a nice.

5. During class, we learned about the Brooklyn Bridge. I was interested by both the construction of the bridge and its technology and its economical impact on the boating industry while transforming the two neighborhood which it connected. The in-class activity in which we re-imagined the bridge with a different architectural style was was exciting to me because, it goes back to the idea of testing various ideas quickly as we learned about in the first class, but also how different style can redefine the meaning of an iconic structure. Our team worked in the Indo-Semitic style. I wished I could’ve seen some other drawings from different teams to see how the character of the bridge changes with a different style applied to it.

6. In class we learned important information about one of the most iconic structures the Brooklyn Bridge. It was very interesting to learn how the bridge was constructed during the 1870’s taken into consideration the difficult and dangerous construction methods at the time. Due to the difficulties of the time period, a great amount of credit and respect to John Rebelling and later on his son for taking the project under his control; the making of such remarkable and unforgettable connection between Brooklyn and Manhattan. The in class activity of being able to redesign the towers on the Brooklyn bridge was to me very exciting. When redesigning the towers there was a lot to be taken into consideration depending on the architectural style. For me something that was very important was the message that I wanted to convey with my design and what it would represent. But what made it even better was being able to put together all the different designs from my team members and coming up with one representation for the Brooklyn Bridge.

7. I really enjoyed this week’s class and all the new things I learned. I had never known how long it took to build the Brooklyn Bridge and how important it was to the community both on the Brooklyn and Manhattan ends of the bridge. In terms of symbolism, this bridge was a new part of a new era in time. This bridge showed growth, unity, and the power of teamwork and new machinery. It was interesting to see how Mr. Roeling began the project as the engineer for the bridge, but his wife was the one who helped finish it. We learned so much in regards to the bridge as a structure yet as a piece of art and history. This bridge was very new and unique for the community in NYC during that time. I learned by sketching new versions of the bridge’s towers, how symbolism comes into play. I was able to see different types of architectural styles and how they greatly affect a structure. I really enjoyed the teamwork in class and how we had to unite our versions of the towers to create one new and improved version. I really enjoyed how informative this class session was!

8. Our class on the Brooklyn Bridge was very interesting & informing. Things I never knew or would think to look at about the Brooklyn Bridge, I will definitely remember to point out. We saw slides of the Brooklyn Bridge in so many different perspectives, as well as learning the timeline of the Brooklyn Bridge. It’s crazy how photography can open your eyes and make you see things differently, especially from different angles. The Brooklyn Bridge symbolizes a doorway, rejection of the classical and some type of separation. Its pointed arches has a Gothic, medieval style to it. In my opinion, the bridge that connects Brooklyn & Manhattan, symbolizes the doorway to opportunity. In my group, we had to recreate the bridge with Egyptian features. It was definitely not an easy task but paying very close attention to detail of Egypt’s type of architectural style, we made it work & our drawing came out pretty good.

9. In class, we learned about the history of the Brooklyn Bridge, which was very interesting to know about. I found out that the Brooklyn Bridge was design by the Roebling family and that both father and son died, while working on the bridge, which was very sad to know about. I also learned that the Brooklyn Bridge has a Gothic architectural style and was the very first documented project to be photographed and made photography popular. I was also informed the bridge was very high tech back then and now it’s called a landmark for people to visit. For the in class activity, we were grouped in four and had redesign the Brooklyn Bridge to one of many architecture styles we learned. Our group chose the Egyptian architecture style, we first had to do our personal sketch of bridge, the combined our ideas into one final design. Which was challenging because I’m not great at drawing, but a fun experience to do.

10. During this session i learned some interesting facts about the Brooklyn bridge. I always walk across the bridge but i never thought about it’s historical foundation. In the beginning we learned about the first founders of the bridge which were John A. Roebling ( a German immigrant who settled in Pittsburgh in 1831 and his son Washington Roebling who took over his father’s work after his death.
    The work of the bridge was very challenging; one can say that, in the beginning it took a little longer to finish it due to a lack of technology, materials, and money but new appropriations were made in 1879.
    I also learned the bridge was for a time, the longest in the world because of its span, and after its completion it was widely acclaimed as the new eighth wonder of the world.To me, the Brooklyn bridge is a symbol of industrialization, urbanization and an important cultural icon.

11. In class we learned so many things about brooklyn we learn how it was built,and sourround history with the Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Brigde is one of the most iconic things in Brooklyn. In 1866 the NY States legislature passes legislation for construction of New York-Brooklyn Bridge, and later in 1867John Roebling presents the design. At 1883 roaddway is completed and open to the public. Later in 1915 the becomes named the structure Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge was also called “The Great Bridge”. I learned that the enforcer are things pulled by force.
    Questions that cameup during the lecture is: What made them decide that color? How many workers, worked on the Bridge? Why was the open of the bridge pointy, and what does it symbolize? Does the Brooklyn Brigde Symbolise anything?
    I thought the lecture was very intresting because I walk the bridge often and it was intresting learning the heart of it.

12. In class we learned a few facts about the Brooklyn bridge and its creator. We also learned different types of styles in architecture. we also redesigned the bridge which was kind of fun. Each group had a different take on it with another style. The thing i liked the most was when we combined all the bridges to create one bridge with other peoples insight. Not to mention the collection of words we used to describe all the bridges and the one we combined.

13. The Brooklyn Bridge is an iconic architecture figure in America due to its structure, symbolism and art. In class, I was able to learn and understand the history and procedures that were contributed in the creation of the Brooklyn Bridge. The master mind behind the concept of the Brooklyn Bridge was a man named John A. Roebling and later on his son and wife would also contribute into the making and completion of the Brooklyn Bridge during the 1800’s-1900’s. The Gothic and Roman Greek architectural style, specifically the pointed arch, was an inspired style that is represented on the Brooklyn Bridge. The pointed arch portrays the windows with different colored glass bringing in sunlight in a church or building well known in Europe, so the concept portrayed on the Brooklyn Bridge was inspired by the pointed arch windows bringing in sunlight and open space. For my group, we’re were assigned the Baroque architectural style which represents theatrical, sculptural styles. At the beginning of my sketch, I was trying to focus on specific details of the Baroque architecture so that I can get an idea of what I wanted my tower to look like. I was able to create my tower with similar details of the Baroque style.

14. It was an interesting class especially because it was focused on a landmark everyone can relate to, the brooklyn bridge is one of the most recognizable structures in NY and one that has a significant impact on our daily lives. We learned the tragic story of the man first entrusted with the completion of the structure John.A.Roebling and his son, where he drew inspirations for the design of the bridge, the effect of the bridge construction economically and how it played into the dynamics of the city, the fact that it was the first documented project to be photographed, that both ends of the bridge failed to promote a grand entrance into the city like it was originally intended, and so on. The group exercise in which we had to design our own version of the brooklyn bridge using one of the classical architectural styles was exciting and i feel it helped us understand a bit of what could be considered when constructing a structure of this magnitude and significance like choosing the right design and making sure it send the right message.

15. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of New York’s most historical icons whose fascinating past creates a wonderful context and story behind it. John Roebling and his son both lost their lives along the way. Because of this catastrophic event, Emily Roebling had to take over and complete the Brooklyn Bridge. Without her the bridge would’ve never been completed. The Brooklyn bridge isn’t just a bridge, its an icon with a story and in my opinion that’s what makes it so much more than some steel. Its a symbol of innovation, change, rebellion, determination, and bravery. It represents New Yorkers. Its a bold and iconic structure. The activity in which we redesigned the Brooklyn Bridge in a different style exemplified what we each thought the Brooklyn Bridge should and already represents. My groups style was Neo-Greek, we used huged columns and pediments to construct it. We wanted it to represent power, unity, boldness, etc. These are some of what the Brooklyn Bridge already does represent and if it were really to be redesigned it would have to continue represent the personality and ideology of New Yorkers.

16. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of New York’s most iconic landmarks. It has a long and detailed history of innovation, importance and tragedy. The Roebling Family was key to the creation of the Bridge and without them New York would probably be a lot different. The in-class exercise included our personal redesign of the Bridge in a Neo-Greek style as well as a combination of our design as a group. It was interesting to hear what elements held importance to the members of our group & the result of our collaboration and selection of words.

17. In class we learned several facts about The Brooklyn Bridge. One being the creation of the bridge was from a man John Augustus Roebling who was the inventor of wire cable and an accomplished bridge builder. The bridge opened on May 24, 1883 and it spans of 1592.5 feet between towers. John Augustus Roebling died while working on the project. The in-class assignment was to redesign the Brooklyn Bridge using classical architecture style that would redefine the importance of the bridge and the meaning of what it represented. As a group we combined the important elements and wrote what the elements mean to the structure.

18. During the class, we’ve learned the story behind the Brooklyn Bridge. It is known as one of the most famous and iconic landmarks in New York, but the history behind it, I believe, there are a lot of New Yorkers like me, have no deep understanding about it beforehand. The most iconic elements of the bridge are the two Gothic style towers of height at 277 feet, connecting 1600 feet suspended steel cables from tower to tower, making it the tallest and most known structure in Western countries for a long period of time after it constructed. Brooklyn Bridge was also the first bridge that brought the breakthrough of suspension-bridge technology, in some way, it defined the important characteristics of New York City:creative, innovative, challenging, and connectivity.

19. It was very interesting to learn about the history and facts of the brooklyn bridge in class. For the class activity, we were given the chance to re-design the brooklyn bridge with different architectural styles (for ex: Roman, Greek, Egyptian, etc.) My team was assigned to redesign the brooklyn bridge with Roman architectural style and was asked to interpret the meanings or what the Roman style symbolizes the bridge of. It was kind of challenging. However, at the end, my team and I combined all of our ideas and made 1 final design to be handed in, & it came out pretty good.

20. i read the article of Brooklyn bridge, it is one of New York’s most iconic landmarks.Roebling’s Family brought us this greatest architecture.in the 1860s and through the 1880s. the Age of Industry, the Brooklyn Bridge has been built, that is a new page of the United States. the Brooklyn bridge is the neo-Gothic style towers of height at 277 Feet, connecting 1600 feet suspended steel cables from tower to tower. the most interesting for me, it is the cables. the technology of the created cable, how to calculated the capability of the cable, or how to calculate the amount of the cables they can support the bridge? otherwise, the Brooklyn bridge as the most important cable bridge for NY. it is not only supporting the weight of the people who lives in Brooklyn and Manhattan. but also carrying the intelligent and split of the United States.

21. During class today I learned a lot of different facts about The Brooklyn Bridge. The Brooklyn Bridge looms majestically over New York City’s East River, linking the two boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Since 1883, its granite towers and steel cables have offered a safe and scenic passage to millions of commuters and tourists, trains and bicycles, pushcarts and cars. In class i learned John Augustus Roebling, the Brooklyn Bridge’s creator, was a great pioneer in the design of steel suspension bridges. On May 24, 1883, the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River opened, connecting the great cities of New York and Brooklyn for the first time in history. Thousands of residents of Brooklyn and Manhattan Island turned out to witness the dedication ceremony. For several years after its construction, it remained the tallest structure in the Western hemisphere. The connection it provided between the massive population centers of Brooklyn and Manhattan changed the course of New York City forever.