Taught by Jacob Aplaca

Thirteenth Post of the Semester (Describing Your Mentor Text and Committing to a Plan for Unit 3)

This post requires you to do several shorter tasks.

First, I would like you to go to the Unit 3 Assignment page on this website and review the student examples that have been posted.

Next, you will address two prompts. Both are geared toward getting you started on your Unit 3 Assignment.

First, reflect on the Mentor Text Analysis activity that we completed in class. Review the notes that you made about your mentor text. In a paragraph of at least 100 words, describe your findings from your Mentor Text Analysis. In particular, write about the aspects of your mentor text that you would like to emulate in your own work.

Second, in another paragraph of at least 100 words, describe your concrete plan for your Unit 3 assignment. What genre will your DEFINITELY be working in? What is your EXACT purpose? What SPECIFIC audience are you trying to reach? How will you give EXPLICIT credit to outside resources? Also describe some of the more practical elements of the text you will put together. For example, how will you organize your ideas? What kinds of visuals, if any, do you plan to incorporate? What about audio? What software, if any, do you plan to use? What other resources do you plan to access?

1. sonkerry

While i watched the podcast in class i realized some things that i never did while getting things to emulate in my own podcast. The podcast host did not give an opinion but instead ask the controversial questions and the questions he thinks that the audience would want answered. I would like to emulate this idea of being in the middle ground. I would also like to emulate the calmness and formality of the podcast, there is no jokes which is something i would try and change but the seriousness i would emulate as well. The podcast itself is very good and i would emulate a lot of it including how the researcher is able to pull up his research on a board to display his reason and evidence. The podcast also gives the researcher ample time for him to speak his side and asks questions in which he is given time to answer.

I will most definitely be doing a podcast. I feel like a podcast is the best way to get a lot of information across without having the listeners stay engaged for a while with the ability to move forward and backward on their own accord. The audience am trying to reach is anyone interested in the pyramids or have ever seen them and pondered on their creation. I will give credit to my outside source by siting them and quoting their work. I plan on using the audio software that is in the resources section and using it so make it sound like it was professionally done in a podcast room. Visually i will make an appealing art as my cover to catch the eye of my listeners.

2. Christian Tepepa

I will be working on an infographic, if I change my mind I will still have a good format if I do decide to do something else with all the graphics I use. I wanted to emulate the simplistic style of the infographic I found on the internet. It used a silhouette of a fish cut up on a cutting board with each piece having a section of information that the readers might want. It also used other little graphics within boxes of information which I also liked. I might me trying to reach an older audience that will understand what I talk about easily, and I will give credit to my sources by putting in sources within one of the graphics I use. Each piece of information will be in the piece of the t. rex that it relates to, for example: the head will contain info on the bite force, the legs will have info on the muscles and padded feet etc.

3. Adriano Franca

The mentor text I chose was “Behind the Internet Curtain”, an infographic. Few things I noticed about my mentor text include the following:

The author conveys information through a formal tone and often uses images (mainly statistics) as source of data and makes sure he states his source at the end to be establish credibility. The infographic is very easy to digest since it is very organized and the image/word ratio isn’t overwhelming. The author also makes sure the colors used in the infographic don’t stand out too much, making the infographics very minimalistic and pleasing to look at. I also love the layout of the infographic, every piece of information has its own space to shine.

My plan for this assignment will be to inspire my infographic’s layout and tone on this mentor text I looked at. I feel like this way of conveying information is very suitable to my topic since it requires that readers take it seriously and easily learn from. Even though the content of my infographic is a lot more sensitive than this example, I still want readers to easily digest information from it through the use of a good image/word ratio. I also like the way the author displays statistics throughout the infographic, I’ll definitely incorporate something very alike on mine.

4. messiahf4

The Mentor Text that I chose was the infographic about sex trafficking and ways parents can help prevent it. I found aspects of the infographic that I want to emulate like the bright colors that will make it easier to see and feel and the bold words to bleed onto the screen and emphasize what I’m talking about. I also liked how concise and straight to the point each of the points were and I believe that will be important when speaking about something that can make or break a person or community based on my research. I would like to make sure that such an adrenaline filled environment and sport is depicted as so.  

My plan for the Unit 3 Assignment is to create an infographic that introduces combat sports and martial arts and how they can benefit a community and make or break the people it reaches and inspires to train. My audience will be anyone who doesn’t really know about combat sports and training, and it will be for people looking for inspiration in their lives or something to work towards that is a discipline like martial arts. My credit to my sources will be given with citations under each section or image. My visuals will be people coming together in gyms or schools training hard and becoming better people. I will also show prominent people in combat sports and martial arts and how their lives have transpired.

5. fatumata

The mentor text I chose was an infographic called “Sea Levels Rise”, in which the author is using a serious tone in order to warn us about how much and how quickly sea levels are rising.This source uses research by using statistics and incorporating expert opinion. For instance, the author shows us data of sea level rising from 1880-2017, in which it shows that sea levels have risen about 8 inches since the beginning of the 20th century. Furthermore, this source talks about how NASA helps deepen our understanding as sea level rises and provides contextual evidence of their findings which helps establish the source credibility. One aspect of the mentor text that I would like to put in my own work is incorporating statistics and establishing its credibility.

For my unit 3 assignment I will be using an infographic to show the effect of overturning Roe v Wade. My targeted audience is women and young girls. I will give credit to outside resources by quoting and citing where I got my information from. I will organize my ideas using a formal/serious tone in order to grasp the importance of overturning Roe v Wade. I will also incorporate pictures of protest gatherings, statistics and etc.

6. Michelle Haddad

I will be doing a listicle and my mentor that I will be using is the “15 facts about winter” article. I like the style and format that the author was writing in.

The author gets straight to the point which I like a lot and they don’t give so much information. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the first sentence the author said which was “Not all snowflakes are as unique as you are.” They list the fact that they want and just back up the text that they said. They provide information which can make the reader better understand about a certain topic. What I like about the author also is that the facts that they put forth aren’t  complicated and very easy to understand. The author of this article makes sure to put videos which I find super helpful and find that it’s helpful for visual learners. 

My plan for the unit 3 assignment is to make people more familiar with solar eclipses. My audience could be students, scientists, researchers, spiritual people. My credit would be given under the facts that I write or I will put a video like the other author. I want my page to look very colorful and eye-catching but have very understanding and easy information to back up my facts.