Role Models, Mentors and Networks

Community Organizers protesting
Source: Canva

During my internship, my coworker and I had the opportunity to attend CUFFH workshops and info sessions. These events were instrumental in helping us connect with the community members we were representing through our designs. By actively participating in these sessions, we gained a better understanding of CUFFH’s core values and the issues they were fighting for. It was a valuable experience to interact with the target audience and get to know their personalities, as well as their vision for the future of CUFFH. Attending these workshops and info sessions allowed us to deepen our understanding of CUFFH’s mission and shed light on why there was a lack of youth engagement. This knowledge helped us strategize and implement our design ideas to attract more young people through visually appealing designs. These events were held both virtually and in-person, providing us with diverse opportunities to engage with the community and learn from their experiences.

While at the company, I had the privilege of meeting inspiring individuals who served as role models and mentors within the community organizing field. These community organizers exhibited exceptional leadership qualities and demonstrated a relentless commitment to their cause. Interacting with them provided me with invaluable insights into effective leadership and solidified my admiration for their perseverance in making a positive impact. Witnessing their dedication and passion for their work left a profound impression on me. Their ability to rally communities, mobilize resources, and navigate complex social issues served as a constant source of inspiration. Their mentorship allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the importance of perseverance, resilience, and empathy in pursuing meaningful change. These mentorship experiences not only expanded my knowledge of community organizing but also instilled in me a greater sense of purpose and a drive to contribute positively to society. The lessons I learned from these mentors will continue to shape my approach to leadership and fuel my determination to make a difference in the world.