Ethics in Graphic Design 1B

A view of the brick buildings surrounding the train station near Angela’s internship workplace. The sun casts over the building, causing it to glow beyond the shadows of the station. Shot by Angela Alvarez, 2023.

1B) At the beginning of the internship where I was filing paperwork, I indeed did have to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which is why I am using certain omitted language and hypotheticals when referring to use of platforms and projects. It is important for the business to have a transparent image but also, for safety reasons, I feel like it is indeed necessary to have an NDA especially when working with sales products and a tricky industry such as the one we are in – CBD. When it comes to social media or online posts, we have to be careful about what we post in order to prevent ourselves from being flagged due to the use of certain keywords. Any other internal projects I do not discuss as well, in adherence to the NDA, and to follow the best company standards, just like discussed in AIGA’s “A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” (p33). It is important to acquaint oneself with the business that they are working for and in order to act in their best professional responsibility, and to prevent any conflicts of interest due to negligence.

The signing of the NDA was very important to be aware of, and thus I have applied such importance to the journal entries for this internship class. Not only do I not want to carelessly post important private information, but I also want to create the best image for the brand. As an intern who is new to this industry and has no prior knowledge, I am not as experienced in the laws of communicating about CBD products, but I do have experience in the aspect of attaining wellness and being a part of programs and communities that reach to spread wellness in lifestyles.

The Design, Photo and Apple Geek – Melissa Wolowicz’s “Ethical Issues in the Graphic Design Business” raises some points on taking on the work with a business that you align with as a graphic designer. “If a designer does not agree with [the company’s beliefs], then he/she should not take on the work.” (Wolowicz). Growing up in my household, there was a strict stigma about products stemming from the hemp plant used to make CBD, which is actually not the compound that causes a “high”. Due to our lack of knowledge, we associated them all to be used for reckless purposes, though that was not the case. When my father was suffering from cancer in his final years, I realized there were so many other purposes to the plant that provided medical assistance to those who had no other alternatives. In his memory, I took on this work with this company, not only to educate myself, but to spread the message that these products are to be used as alternatives methods of relief for those who suffer from a variety of ailments, and for those who seek community in this overwhelming city. This was a difficult decision because I was not sure where my ethical and moral standards were on the topic, but I am so grateful that I chose it because it taught me everything that I did not believe beforehand.

Being a graphic designer and part of this business means that I am taking part in a movement for ethical change in a nation that still heavily opposes the use of CBD products for medical and wellness purposes. I know that even prior to the time of my father’s suffering, there were thousands of others just like him who did not find relief in harsh treatments like chemotherapy, and did not have access to alternative reliefs such as CBD oils. Being a part of this, like Wolowicz says, means that what I create is a message for an audience, and especially for our progressing nation.

References:

“A Client’s Guide to Design: How to Get the Most Out of the Process” AIGA. (2009). PDF. New York City; Joanne Stone et al.

“Ethical Issues in the Graphic Design Business” The Design, Photo and Apple Geek. (2011). Melissa Wolowicz.