Workplace Culture, #3

Black and White Image of scaffolding and construction hooks, captured by Angela Alvarez.
B/W Image of scaffolding and construction hooks, captured by Angela Alvarez.

This is my first week of the internship with the company. It is a small team that works within a co-working office space building. Our supervisor is the one who assigns us tasks through a task and content management platform called Asana, along with Google Drive. So our company takes up a small office in a large co-working building, so we check in with the supervisor in her tiny office and do the rest of the work either remotely from home, or floating around the co-working space. There are other businesses that work in adjacent offices in the building, and so far on my second day, I realized how positive and collaborative everyone is with one another. Conversations happen between people working on their own business, and it is such a great way of networking with those outside of your workspace.

Since this is a co-working space, there seems to be no formal dress code, but obviously just be casual or business casual to respect the space we’re in. On the first day all of us interns accidentally wore all-black as an unofficial uniform, which was funny. There is a lot of flexibility on the job when it comes to hours and working locations, as all of our tasks are individually assigned, as long as we accomplish them we are free to choose our working preferences. Throughout this, due to the internship requirements, we are limited to 15 working hours per week, so I’m sticking with three 5-hour shifts per day. The area that the workspace is in has quite a good amount of food options close by, so lunch can be picked up or ordered when necessary.

Overall so far, the internship is taking place in a really positive atmosphere surrounded by working professionals from other organizations that we can collaborate and network with. I feel no pressure to dress entirely formal, but I will choose to dress business casual or casual to put my best foot forward. To promote a positive working atmosphere, I am pleased with the multiple options throughout the building, from independent meeting booths, to tables/desks, to even a spacious rooftop when the weather gets a bit better. As a person who works best like this, I am looking forward to meeting all of the assignments that will take place.