Company Position Role, #2

Image captured by Angela Alvarez, Harvard University, February 2023

As my internship approaches the starting date of employment, I am excited to work with the team as a Marketing & Advertising intern. Due to my background in creative graphics, communication design and social media, my interview with supervisor Jamie led to the understanding of what my role as an intern will entail. I will be taking on a handful of tasks of both the creative and backend aspect of the company, such as working on social media posts and webpage search engine optimization, which is my specialization with a web and graphics focus from my classes here at City Tech.

My internship process was pretty straightforward upon acceptance by CUNY Spring Forward. The supervisors in charge of Spring Forward had us go through several rounds before our “acceptance”, where we then had to continue onto interviewing with the participating businesses. The spring forward pre-acceptance interviews were actually group-based, and then the final business selection interviews were individual 1-on-1’s. In the final business interviews I met with a small handful, 7-8 different companies. In all of the short 15-30 minute interviews, they were with single interviewers from the respective businesses. They were all essentially self-pitches on what I can bring to their company, and their questions related to the positions they had posted. Some positions were social media, marketing, communications, and a lot of them involved creative aspects that met my design requirements for internship. Some questions included:

• Introduce yourself and your experience.
  • Did you have any work or internship experience prior to this?
  • What are some of your skills and strengths?
  • Do you work well in team-based environments?
  • Are you okay working remotely or in-office?

After my handful of direct interviews with the companies, I had to rank them all in order of interest. My interview with the business was a success, though it was a close tie with NoMad Flatiron Partnership. I was assigned my first ranked choice less than a week after the interviews. Though that was my first choice, I still sent out thank you emails to the other employers that took the time to interview with me. In this time, the employers are getting onboarding by CUNY Spring Forward in terms of work hour allotments and other information. I begin on February 27, 2023. I am looking forward to the starting date.