A Learning Experience, #4

Black and white image of a collection of residential buildings and urban architecture on a NYC street block, captured by Angela Alvarez.
B/W Image of urban architecture on a street block, captured by Angela Alvarez.

At my internship, we are working on building the wellness and lifestyle aspect of the business, which also has a focus on CBD products. In my position that focuses on Marketing and Analytics in Advertising, I am taking responsibility for utilizing my web, UX and UI skills. In my second day I was able to apply what I’ve learned from taking web courses in Communication Design, such as conducting website, desktop and mobile audits and analyzing visual web elements. For now, the tasks I am assigned are entirely focused on that aspect, but I have mentioned availability for any other necessary tasks. I am learning a lot about the business and the products, a lot of which I was unfamiliar with and may have held unconscious bias on.

A note that was mentioned during the interview stage of my internship was that this place of employment is intent on helping the interns/students grow in their respective fields. As a result, I will be getting to learn more about web, UX and UI and understanding the consumer audience from a creative business perspective. Over time, there will also be campaigns that will be taken through social media and visual platforms. There are 5 of us interns and all of us have our respective assigned roles, but I foresee collaboration occurring since, like I mentioned before, it is a very small business environment where all of our individual contributions work towards the desired end goal.

Lastly to note, though all five interns have our own respective title roles, we won’t necessarily be committing to one type of task throughout the entire internship. Week by week, the days may appear differently and we won’t be stagnant on one thing the entire time. There are plenty of opportunities for flexibility with work, whether it is in scheduling, collaboration, or task-based, as long as we stick to the overarching goals that are projected in the entire 10 week internship timeline, 15 hours per week. It is a good testament to building on our time management and communication skills in order to proceed with an uplifting, positive atmosphere and place of work.