Videos- Latina

“Fruit by the Foot”- Shows the math potential of the candy and how it relates to a mobius stripe.

“Snowflake Symmetry” – This video shows the different geographical ways to make a snowflake depending on the number of symmetry.

“Fractal Fractions”- This video shows an infinite possibilities to add a number by turning it into a fraction and then turning these fraction even smaller fraction, and when added together it equals the same number.

Part 2- I must say all these videos are pretty interesting.  When I first watched the (Fractal Fractions video I was pretty confused. I didn’t know what she was talking about, but then after watching it a couple times I thought that it was a cool trick. I never thought to breakup numbers that way or that it was possible to do it that way.

Part 3- This video showed me that math isn’t just about learning procedures you can have fun with it. As a teacher it is important to show your students that they can come up with their own ideas and think outside the box. When they do they can find new and interesting ways to look at a problem. This is very relevant to what we are learning in the classroom, because in the class we are learning and proving why things are the way they are. To do this you must be able to think outside the box and not be so rigid in our thinking. Both Lockhart’s Lament and Vi Hart are showing new ways of looking and teaching math. Math is a creative subject and should to taught that way.