All posts by latina

Videos- Latina

“Fruit by the Foot”- Shows the math potential of the candy and how it relates to a mobius stripe.

“Snowflake Symmetry” – This video shows the different geographical ways to make a snowflake depending on the number of symmetry.

“Fractal Fractions”- This video shows an infinite possibilities to add a number by turning it into a fraction and then turning these fraction even smaller fraction, and when added together it equals the same number.

Part 2- I must say all these videos are pretty interesting.  When I first watched the (Fractal Fractions video I was pretty confused. I didn’t know what she was talking about, but then after watching it a couple times I thought that it was a cool trick. I never thought to breakup numbers that way or that it was possible to do it that way.

Part 3- This video showed me that math isn’t just about learning procedures you can have fun with it. As a teacher it is important to show your students that they can come up with their own ideas and think outside the box. When they do they can find new and interesting ways to look at a problem. This is very relevant to what we are learning in the classroom, because in the class we are learning and proving why things are the way they are. To do this you must be able to think outside the box and not be so rigid in our thinking. Both Lockhart’s Lament and Vi Hart are showing new ways of looking and teaching math. Math is a creative subject and should to taught that way.

The Question of why?

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade we started to learn about area. We first learned about the area of a rectangles and came up with the formula of (LXW=AREAsqr). When we moved on to triangles the teacher asked us how would we find the area, I thought it would be the same concept as the rectangle but then I realized that the triangle has three sides so how would the formula (LXW=AREA sqr)work. She gave us all a rectangular piece of paper, we were to make a doted line from one diagonal to the next, then fold the paper along the doted line and cut it. We saw that we had two identical triangles, she asked us to put it back together and find the area of the rectangle. After we found the area of the rectangle, we took it apart again she asked if the area of the each of the triangle is the same as the rectangle, no the area of the triangle is now half the rectangle.  So she let us make up our own formula for the area of a triangle based on what we just discovered. That is how i acme to understand why the area of a triangle is (1/2BXH).

The questions i would like to know why is.

Why is it that the answer is different when we switch from degrees to radians.  I found his question interesting because it was never explained to me why I had to make that change when doing calculus and what is the difference between to the two, I was just told that’s what is done.

Why does the quadratic formula works. I saw it in the examples and it made me think that I have no idea why it works I just know how to use it.