Tag Archives: “OpenLab 10″

Videos- Latina

“Fruit by the Foot”- Shows the math potential of the candy and how it relates to a mobius stripe.

“Snowflake Symmetry” – This video shows the different geographical ways to make a snowflake depending on the number of symmetry.

“Fractal Fractions”- This video shows an infinite possibilities to add a number by turning it into a fraction and then turning these fraction even smaller fraction, and when added together it equals the same number.

Part 2- I must say all these videos are pretty interesting.  When I first watched the (Fractal Fractions video I was pretty confused. I didn’t know what she was talking about, but then after watching it a couple times I thought that it was a cool trick. I never thought to breakup numbers that way or that it was possible to do it that way.

Part 3- This video showed me that math isn’t just about learning procedures you can have fun with it. As a teacher it is important to show your students that they can come up with their own ideas and think outside the box. When they do they can find new and interesting ways to look at a problem. This is very relevant to what we are learning in the classroom, because in the class we are learning and proving why things are the way they are. To do this you must be able to think outside the box and not be so rigid in our thinking. Both Lockhart’s Lament and Vi Hart are showing new ways of looking and teaching math. Math is a creative subject and should to taught that way.

Videos- SIN-FONG CHIU

Videos- SIN-FONG CHIU

Oh No, Pi Politics Again

In video, I feel sorryabout the copyright of the pi song. If I sing someone’s song, I will against to the copyright? People said Chinese sounds like music because there are four different tone, and music have at least seven tone. Putting music into mathematic that is amazing thing I have heard.

Doodling in Math Class: Binary Trees

I recently made a fun little fractal-producing game similar to that where one side of the “branch” so to speak was a quarter-circle; I made various rules for what occurs when the bottom of the circle ran into a straight line (or another bottom half of a circle) and it ended up drawing some interesting shapes. It never seemed to grow a definite pattern though, but this video reignited my desire to figure out just what that pattern was.

Hexaflexagons 2

In this video named “Hexaflexagons”, the girl shows how to make a normal hexaflexagon, with three different colored faces, The one with six different colored faces is shown in the video and forward. Also, a three-sided hexaflexagon is made of 9 triangles plus an optional for gluing. Because each colored side is made of 6 triangles. There are three different colors. 6 times 3 is 18. I use both sides of the paper. 18 divided by 2 is 9.

It was an absolute inspiration. The songs were hilarious. It made me rethink creativity and expressions and meaning. Mathematic can represent in different way. She spoke fast, I replay the video at least twice. She spoke fast. Why she need to speak that fast? I replay the video at least twice

she called herself Vi Hart, Mathemusician. If number can represent in to melody, it will represent in to anything else. Regarding of the video called flexagon, I think it is math. Because the definition of mathematics is the study of topics such as quantity, structure, space, and change. Two topics (structure and change) are involved in the making of a flexdagon. Therefore I consider it as a type of mathematics. The way she teaches is also amazing. It will not only make students have a better understanding of Diagrams, but also inspire students in the entry level of geometry. I may not do this when I teach in the classroom. But I will try to explain more in details of the concept by providing such arts tool sometime after the class, maybe during my office hours.it is connection to last Lockhart’s Lament

Videos–> Sidney Sao

Part 1

1)Title: Scary Sirepinski Skull Time

Description: Vi Hart was showing us how you can make triangles out of triangle candy corns. She basically Showed that there where infinite number of triangles in a triangle.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZWlUamNPI&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg

2)Title: Doodling in Math: Sick Number Games

Descriptions: In this video, she talks about prime numbers, Pascal’s Triangle, and Floyd’s Triangle.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhlv5Aeuo_k&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg&spfreload=1

3)Title: Doodling in Math: Spirals, Fibonacci, and being a plant [1 of 3]

Descriptions: She discusses the Fibonacci series and show us how to find the numbers in the series (starting with 1 add 1 and than add the previous number number to the first number to get the next number). After than she show us how the Fibonacci numbers are in everything with spikes, such as, flowers, pineapples, acorns, and etc.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXIMUkSXX0&list=UUOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wgPart 2

Part 2

Chosen Video: Doodling in Math: Sick Number Games

I watched some of her other videos, and I found them them to be pretty annoying because she talks really fast and make a bunch of weird/annoying sounds. Despite that, this was the only video I liked. I found it really interesting because she talked about prime number. To be honest, I don’t really know what’s the point of knowing that a number is prime. What’s the purpose of prime numbers? She also talked about the largest prime number, (2^43,112,609)-1, and how the guy who came up with this number was rewarded $100,000. One thing that I found funny and interesting was that scientist sent the largest prime number to space in an attempt to communicate with aliens. Also I liked the statement, “mathematics is one of the only thing all life have in common.” I also liked how she showed a different way of viewing the Fibonacci’s Triangle. When you circle all the odd numbers in Fibonacci’s Triangle, you get sierpinski’s triangle. After that, she divides all the numbers in Fibonacci’s Triangle by three, and colors in all the numbers with remainder 0, 1, and 2 with different colors (R0[red], R1[black] and R3[Green]); she comes up with a set of rules (ex: black+black= Green). One thing I learned from this video, is that when you draw the Ulam’s spiral all the prime numbers connect in a diagonal. One question I have, If I find a prime number greater than the largest prime number do I too get a reward? 🙂

Part 3 

I think this video teaches us about some things in math because she’s show you steps to find certain numbers through the use of Fibonacci’s Triangle and etc. This video is telling me that when I teach I should encourage my students to do what Mr. Reitz does, think about the process of solving problems because it can open up to new math ideas. theorems, and etc. I believe this work is relevant to the work we are doing in class because we use the Triangles mentioned earlier and discussed a little bit about prime numbers and how there’s no formula for a prime number, yet. I don’t think it relates to Lockheart’s lament. Overall, I like how this video shows you how you can view things in different ways.

Videos- Leonardo Perez

part 1)

this video talked about arranging  snake fragments into desired shape or length.

this video was interesting it talked about the Pythagorean theorem and the life of  Pythagoras.

this was a funny video but it talked it about how kids are given the wrong information about some mathematical concepts, like the Fibonacci sequence she says that spongebob’s pineapple house is not really a pineapple because  it doesn’t follow the Fibonacci sequence.

part 2)

the video on “How to snakes” was a very interesting video. I saw the video at least five times just understand what she was trying to prove. The reason I like this video is because I feel that it is somehow related to Pascal’s triangle, when she showed one can arrange the snake so it can have two or more heads it look a lot like Pascal’s triangle which was very interesting because her explanation can be a good way to introduce Pascal’s triangle in a fun way. This was inspiring to me because it made me look at math in a fun way meaning that I don’t have to see it as just as numbers and formulas.

part 3)

I think that this video has a lot to do with math because it shows a relationship between the snakes fragments and Pascal’s triangle. I believe that this is a way of teaching math in a more calm and easy approach rather than giving students formulas or rules to follow which will cause them (like me ) to forget or not memorize it. I think that this relevant to the work that we are doing in the classroom because we are trying to prove conjectures and state whether it is true or false. I think that Vi Hart idea is to try and prove these conjectures in a more straight forward approach with representation that allows the audience to stay focus.