Maureen Neuringer | COMD 3711 - Section OL70 | Fall 2021

08 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 300 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade. This week’s questions have been posted by Jeremy Eisner and I think they are interesting. Please post your reply by Tuesday, October 27th, no later than 5:00 pm.

Question 01 –

Why do you think that the low poly portrait should only be made up of triangles, rather than other polygons? If the portrait is made up of only four-sided shapes, rather than triangles, how do you think it would impact the overall design?

Question 02 –

When would it be useful to add multiple fills to a particular shape in a design? Give an example of a specific object (ie., Clothing, Nature, Food, etc.) that would benefit from having multiple fills when designed in illustrator. 

1. Jennifer Rivas

Q1: I believe that the triangles have more of a positive effect and would be the best option instead of the other polygons because it’s the only shape that has more flexibility. The triangles are also the perfect shape that can be drawn big or small because it creates a more 3D dimension and gives roo to create shadows and highlights. The triangle look reminds me of NFTs. It’s a different approach of texture for a portrait too. I like it, it’s appealing to look at.

Q2: I think the only chance you can get away with adding multiple fills to the same shape depends on the angle, shadows, and highlights of the image. Also, your eye will tell you where to repeat some of the colors. It’s good to have some inequality to see the contrast but let us say if the coat has no shadow or highlight you can get away with adding the same fill until you reach a different angle like the shoulder, chest, or neck. Not having a variety can cause the portrait to look more flat and awkward if there’s no variation

2. Gloria Rosario

Question 1.
    I think that the low poly portrait should only be made of triangles because this helps define the areas better. As oppose to circles or squares that would create a different design with no definition but triangles give each shape more definition which makes the work look more interesting and artistic. The triangles make it more interesting to look at as well.

Question 2.
    Is useful to add multiple fills to a particular shape when are creating multiple designs. The fills that can found under the appearance panel, Allow us to play with shapes, create different variations and colors while keeping the original design. I think about the fills tool as way to add useful filters to your work and playing around with it to create volume and beauty without loosing its original form.

• Jennifer Rivas

Hi Gloria, I definitely agree. The triangles allow you to define the areas more precisely. I like how for your second response you use the word volume. I agree when you play around you create that volume however you still need to be cautious because you can also lose its original form, and if you have a lot of triangles too.

3. Iqra Bhatti

HI, Mike. Both of your questions received excellent responses. Yes, triangles are preferred over other polygons because they provide more fairness and help in the separation of shades. It completely agrees with what you said about creating multiple fills in the Appearance panel. To apply a variety of fills to your favorite shape, I prefer to use the Appearance panel these days.

4. Iqra Bhatti

Hi, Mike, Excellent responses to both of your questions. Yes, using triangles over the other polygons because they provide more standardization and help to break up shades. It completely agrees with what you said about using the Appearance panel to create multiple fills. These days, I prefer to use the Appearance panel to apply a variety of fills to your favorite shape.

5. Mike Cipriani

Q1: The low poly portraits should only be made up of triangles instead of other polygons because they work better when it comes to uniformity and breaking up shadows and highlights. Having the portrait be made up of only triangles simplifies the image more, and makes it truly low poly. If it was made up of four sided shapes, it could’ve turned out too realistic, or too detailed.

Q2: It would be useful to add multiple fills to a particular shape in a design when working with something with multiple variations. For example, you can have a pattern on a shirt and have multiple solid colored fills behind it to preview how the pattern looks when paired with different colors. You can add multiple fills to a shape in Illustrator by using the Appearance panel and clicking the fill icon, then choosing the color. You can also edit the fill in multiple ways, such as changing the blending mode or opacity of that specific fill, while leaving the others intact.