Are We Torturing The Mentally Ill?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/04/solitary-confinement-mentally-ill_n_5092554.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

This article is related to our class discussion on mentally ill in prisons or jails with no mental health treatments or services. Gilligan said “we put the mentally ill in solitary confinement. For many, that became the default placement. And, you know, the United Nations and the European Court of Human Rights both have declared prolonged solitary confinement to be a form of torture. And it clearly is. It’s psychological torture. It drives people crazy and makes them suicidal.” I agree with Gilligan, they are locked in their cells like animals with no health treatments or services. Their health will not improve, but worsen. According to the news, funding for treatment has decreased for the mentally ill. As a human service student, how can we help them to get back funding for treatment?

About Jenny Phan

Dental Hygiene Student

4 Responses to Are We Torturing The Mentally Ill?

1. Hi Jenny, this was an interesting article and it does relate to our discussions in class. As a human service student it is hard to read these articles whithout wondering, why is this still happening years after we have found out that, sollitary confinement does not work in any setting. I do understand that it was developed as a sort of “time out and reflect” treatment for the individual, but as we can see there are always unintended consequences, which clearly show that the individual’s condition while in solitary confinement has degenerated. Mayor Deblasio has decided to start a prison reform project and i am hoping this will shine light on these horrific situations, and eventually bring about an end to solitary confinement.

2. I agree with you Jenny. There are many things that are not being taken care of in the prison. One of those things is providing services for prisoners to help them get better not to make them worst. If we want those individuals to contribute to society once they get out we need to help them get better, so that they don’t commit the same crime or something else again. So keeping them in solitary confinement will not solve anything.

3. I think that as a human service worker or just a group people we can help get the mentally ill more funding by simply hitting them with the truth as far as numbers. We can bring up the endless cases that there are of how unorganized the system is when it comes to this population. We can show the millions of deaths or unfair treatments. I think advocating for them as much as possible will help with the funding because nobody likes to get bad publicity.

4. I am delighted that I discovered this site, exactly the right information that I was looking for! .