Can forgiveness play a role in criminal justice?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/magazine/can-forgiveness-play-a-role-in-criminal-justice.html?pagewanted=all&action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults%230&version=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%23%2Fcriminal%2520justice%2F

Reading this article, had me extremely horrified and thinking, why would a person want to shoot the love of their life? Conor Mcbride shoots his fiance in the head because of the arguments they both have been having over texts and over the phone. After, Mcbride has shot his fiance he went to the police station and told the police officer at the desk that he has just murdered his fiance and that the officer should lock him up. As human service professionals, we have a huge role in situations like these. Maybe, if this couple knew they could have reached out to a counselor about their problems, this could have been prevented? A counselor could have worked with these two young individuals to empower and educate them and explain to them that every relationship has arguments, however, these arguments  may be resolved and doesn’t have to lead to violence. Do you think that forgiveness can play a role in criminal justice? Do you think that this could have been prevented if these two young individuals had counseling?

13 Responses to Can forgiveness play a role in criminal justice?

1. Rukayat says:

Forgiveness is optional depending on how the victim feels about the incident . No one is forced to forget the past and move on. Within criminal justice being committed guilty or not is the main focus getting down to making the suspects deal with the consequences. This story is very frighten knowing that the couple was in love and the bond between the parents is unbreakable . From a human service perspective I want to dig a little deeper on what triggered his mind to act in such a negative way.

2. Yes, I agree with you Rukayat. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on the article I posted. I would also like to know what triggered his mind to act in such a negative and violent way. This article was very interesting.

3. Patrycja says:

I think that the couple could have been helped in resolving their conflict only if they had asked for help one of the counselors or psychologists at the college they attended. It was clear to me that they both had issues regarding each other that they needed help with by a professional since they did not know how to resolve it by themselves. It was evident that they did not know how to resolve it by arguing about simple things for two days. I think that now the people who need counseling and professional help are the families and the guy himself.

4. Luis says:

This article brings up several dilemmas, one which can largely be criticized is the idea of “reliability and blame” Who are we to judge? My personal view reflects that of my values. In a sense to the same as victims father Mr. Grosmair. I actually feel pity for Conor, I think it’s a shame that such young couple reached that extent which led to the fatality. As mentioned the Grosmair family considered Conor as part as their family. Unfortunately our society uses violence as a primary motivator to resolve problems. Yes indeed I do believe counseling would have intervened in this situation. Most importantly education, as young adults I believe they had the knowledge to comprehend that relationships aren’t always perfect. Not strictly using them as an example, in general I believe most events with deadly endings could be avoided if someone took the time to listen and counsel these individuals who may be in despair. If Andy put himself into peace and forgave Conor, I believe we should respect that. I think it takes real guts for a father to forgive the person who killed his daughter. Our judicial system should also consider the values of the family. I feel this individual does not deserve to spend the rest of his life in jail. Instead he needs serious psychological counseling. Leaving him in jail is not going to bring Ann back. I just think is his a prime example of an individual in society who were not reached in time.

5. I agree with all and Mohammed this is a good article. I certainly agree that this individual does require rehabilitation over imprisonment. As his friends stated he was a great guy, and clearly something must have brought him to this point. We may never find out what it was but it is clear that he needs some sort of counseling or to have his mental state tested. As human service workers we would make sure that the system does not fail him, but gets him the assistance he needs.

6. These individuals should have received counseling at some point. In that way, a life may not have been lost or destroyed. This is where we also step in to discuss the control of guns and how we could be sure that people won’t use guns for a reason like this.

7. rworrell says:

Unfortunately,this article illustrates the sad ending to a relationship in crises. This couple should have seeker counseling because they have been arguing for 38hours prior to this tragedy. There are too many young adult relationship that involve acts of violence. These incidences results from anger and acting on impulse. As a human service student, I thing there should be more outreach programs geared towards talk therapy for young adults in relationship. We also need to educate people on the value of life. I believe that this young man acted out of anger and frustrating, but he obviously had a strong need to be in control. I believe that he needs to be rehabilitated while serving his time in prison. What he did was criminal. Hats off to the victim family on their ability to forgive this young man. This is their method of keeping their daughter memory alive.

8. Anna says:

This was a very interesting article; I do believe that forgiveness can play a role in criminal justice, it all depends on the situation, and the aftermath of feelings. I do believe that this could have been prevented if the couple turned to therapy. They could have spoken about their issues, and came to an agreement. They were very young, probability just needed some assistance in resolving their problems. He immediately went to the police station and admitted what he did. He didn’t plan on killing his girlfriend; I feel as though he did it out of frustration and didn’t know how to handle the situation otherwise. A human service professional plays a major role in situations like this.

9. Mohammed this article caught my attention. I personally believe coming from a Human Services Perspective that counseling plays a critical role in trying to rehabilitate these young individuals. Many young adults do not think or are not aware that their actions have consequences. These young adults I think are in great need of supportive counseling being that if they had or knew someone to confide in about their problems maybe the outcome would have resulted on a more positive note. I truly think that forgiveness shouldn’t play role in our criminal justice system, our criminal justice system is put in place to prevent these actions from happening again. In my opinion forgiveness and change has to come from within the person.

10. Yes, I agree with all of the points you have made. I, also, believe that counseling and therapy may have changed the negative relationship between these two individuals. Also, I agree with Tara, in that forgiveness and change has to come from within a person and they have to want to change on their own without anyone forcing change upon them.

11. Natasha says:

Forgiveness is optional. I’m quite speechless about the level of commitment this family showed this one individual .I could be wrong but from reading Conor moved out his parents home because they weren’t getting and then he does an act like this.It shows an early occurrence of trouble for me, a teen just don’t move out . Maybe if matters were taken earlier ,this could have been avoided . Also arguing for 38hrs, sound extremely exhausting and frustrating. This couple needed intervention.we can’t avoid everything but some acts we can try and help stop it from ruining so much lives.