Warden at Rikers Island Demoted After Inmate Dies in Overheated Cell

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/nyregion/warden-at-rikers-island-demoted-after-inmate-dies-in-overheated-cell.html

There is a number of issues that troubled me with this Report. The rights of the inmate as a human being .What services are given to the mentally ill while incarcerated since there is a rising number ?There is also continuous number of veteran who served this country but are coming back mentally ill , what assistance is given and how are they helped.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Warden at Rikers Island Demoted After Inmate Dies in Overheated Cell

1. Ana Fortuna says:

This goes back to what we mention a lot of times in class. There is always much more punishments than rehabilitation. There is a lot of psychological help needed by some of these inmates, and when they do not get it, they really do become more of a thread to society.

2. Natasha those are good questions because as a veteran he should not have been in jail but in a mental facility that could care for him. Ana good point especially since we have been speaking of the recidivism rate in class. My concern here is the message that is being sent. I understand that the responsible party’s has been punished but when since has a life been worth 60 days suspension? I think there should be a overhaul to the system as a whole. The thought that it is acceptable to suspend someone for causing the death of inmate, while giving life sentences for killing “non-inmates” is outrageous.

3. This article reveals that the prisons are in great need of assistance and mental health treatment to help mange inmates with a mental illness. If not treated their illness would decline can be disruptive to society. I feel it is not the responsibility of the correction officer to understand or assist inmates with their mental illness but it is their responsible to do their job.

4. This article reveals that the prisons are in great need of assistance and mental health treatment to help mange inmates with a mental illness. If not treated their illness would decline can be disruptive to society. I feel it is not the responsibility of the correction officer to understand or assist inmates with their mental illness but it is their responsible to do their job.

5. I think it has been made clear for a while that human service workers and law enforcement workers are not on the same page at all. As a human service worker we know how to care for those who are mentally ill and police officers or wardens do not. We study to look out for signs and symptoms that help us help them. Not knowing or having these skills can lead to exactly this, more people dying because of careless actions. On the other hand the death of the inmate had nothing to do with out field it just had to do more with common sense, to know to check up on the inmate when they are suppose to.

6. I am glad to be a visitant of this thoroughgoing web site! , thanks for this rare info ! .

7. I cling on to listening to the news bulletin talk about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i find some?