Poilce confronts Rising Number of Mentally Ill Suspects

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/us/police-shootings-of-mentally-ill-suspects-are-on-the-upswing.html?hp

After the Shooting dead of a Mentally Ill man “James Boyd”. According to the article, there is a significant rise in the number of mentally ill individuals without proper mental health care, who come in contact with the criminal justice system. These incidences raise questions as to the capabilities and training offered to the police department officers to play a double role of law enforcer and psychiatric social worker. This article piggy back on the class discussion on the treatment of the mentally ill in our prison systems and the ability of the corrections officers to identify the symptoms of mental illness and to act accordingly. AS human service workers, what services can we provide to the various law enforcement entities to avoid these incidents from occurring, and enable the criminal justice system to work efficiently?

15 Responses to Poilce confronts Rising Number of Mentally Ill Suspects

1. Ana Fortuna says:

This article is also like the article that Natasha posted a few minutes ago. We have to think realistically; police officers do not have that mental training or the empathy, or even the things that might be minimal to deal psychological with these mentally ill individuals. As a Human Services professionals, we learn to meet these people where they are at. We learn to take the individual and do an assessment to properly get them the services they need.

2. I agree with Ana, police officers do not have our same training. During their time of study they learn to act first and think later in order to protect themselves or the people who are at risk. They also hide behind a lot of their “protection” like guns, batons and etc, so they always seem intimidating. In our case we do the most to not seem that way. Like Ana said meet them where they are instead of jumoing to conclusion and think negatively. Maybe learning how to just analyze a situation as a human service worker will help them a lot. Simply accepting that not everything requires force seems like a good way to go!

3. show says:

I’m now not certain the place you are getting your info, but great topic. I must spend some time finding out more or figuring out more. Thank you for magnificent info I was in search of this information for my mission.

4. Hey! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

5. An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a friend who has been conducting a little research on this.
    And he actually ordered me breakfast simply because I discovered
    it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU
    for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this topic here on your website.

Feel free to surf to my website: Kingsroad hack tool

6. whoah this weblog is wonderful i like studying your articles.

Stay up the great work! You know, many individuals are looking round for this information,
    you could help them greatly.

7. It’s not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am browsing this site dailly and obtain good data from here everyday.

8. Great article. I am facing a few of these issues
    as well..

9. Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble
    finding one? Thanks a lot!

10. Excellent way of describing, and pleasant piece of writing to take facts concerning my presentation subject matter, which i am
    going to present in university.

11. limo vans says:

I just could not go away your website before suggesting that I really enjoyed
    the usual info a person provide on your visitors? Is gonna be back frequently in order to check out new posts

12. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful
    & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

13. I do agree with all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

14. I really enjoy studying on this website , it has wonderful posts.