Man leaves prison and robs the same store 15 years later!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/03/man-leaves-prison-robs-same-store-15-years-later/

Christopher Miller served 15 years in jail, after his release he robbed the exact same store a day later. I could not resist putting up this article. We discussed in class the criminal mind, and it appears Mr. Miller is a fine example of that. As I think of Mr. Millers situation I am wondering if he was properly rehabilitated, would this scenario have been the same. During rehabilitation the question always arises “what’s next”  meaning now that you know the era in your ways, what are you prepared to do to insure you will not end up this way again. As a human service worker, i would have suggested counseling for him as soon as he was released, or at least some groups (social, peer, educational) to assist him with reconnecting with society.

What do you think, and do you think things could have possible gone differently for him? What would Freud’s psychoanalysis be?

5 Responses to Man leaves prison and robs the same store 15 years later!

1. rworrell says:

If I had read this article a few months ago, I would have found it humorous. However, now I know better. From a human service perspective, Mr. Miller may possible have the mind of a sociopath. Before confirming, I question the rehabilitative services offered to him. It would appear that he was not equipped with the much needed tools that would have prepared him for his release. if this is the situation, then prison life may be more appealing to Mr. Miller. In fifteen years the world has changed, and Mr. Miller could be feeling like ” an alien in a foreign land.”
    I agree with you (heather) there are many questions to be asked and answered.

• R.Worrell i would like to thank you for your response. I agree with you because he must feel like an “Alien” after so many years. I can’t help thinking of how Angela Davis continuously calls incarceration “Modern day slavery” and it appears that it is true. Instead of rehabilitating individuals such as Mr. Miller, he is being used as a tool. If this were incorrect after FIFTEEN YEARS, there should have been some sort of rehabilitation, or the counselors should have recognized that he was not being rehabilitated, therefore; being released without restrictions should have been out of the question.

2. Hi there, simply became alert to your weblog thru Google, and located that it is really informative. I

3. Excellent website. Lots of useful information here. I

4. Some truly interesting information, well written and loosely user friendly.