Ray’s post on City Tech Education & Career Preparedness

Hi guys, my name is Ray Chen and my major is Electrical Engineering Technology, I have been studying in City Tech for two and a half years now. Through the previous post on job search, I see that the jobs on my field not only requires a degree, but also knowledge on specific programs such as Auto Cad and Mutlsim which is part of my major’s curriculum. My major’s curriculum consists mostly of theoretical courses that combines with practical lab, a great example of this would be circuit analysis, this course teaches the theoretical background for the method we uses to analyze a circuit and then have the students do a practical lab where the students have to use the theory they learned from the lecture to analyze the circuit for the experiment. Through the research I have done for the “job ad” post, I concur that my major’s curriculum at City Tech adequately prepare us the students for the jobs that are available out there, I do not think there are different courses needed to be added to adjust for the types of qualifications that is shown on the job ads, because most of the skills required are part of the curriculum. 

I think a college education should not only focus on preparing the students for the jobs but also teach them different skills that are transferable to other subjects, because no one know what the future will be like, the graduated student may ended up doing something other than what he or she has studied for, with a universal skill like communication will help the students greatly even if the student ends up doing something different from their fields of study.

Even though city tech’s curriculum do adequately prepares the students for their future career, why do students still choose to transfer to a different college, there are many reasons why they decide to transfer to another college, and one of those reasons are that city tech does not offer the degrees that they want. Let’s take my major for example, city tech only offers a bachelor in electrical engineering technology degree while other universities like City CollegePoly-Tech, Stony Brook, Buffalo University, Hunter University, Florida Institute of Technology, New York Institute of Technology, MIT, Stanford University, and UCLA offers the bachelor of science in electrical engineering technology, as for their curriculum there are not much differences between them and city tech, the only differences is that they requires the students to take higher level math and science courses, such as calculus III, linear algebra, differential equations, and chemistry. I think that in order to have the student stay and graduate, city tech will need to offer not only more degrees but also a more flexible class schedules, because there are classes in my curriculum that only offer one class per-semester and it’s a prerequisite for other classes. In my opinion I think that there is no need for any changes for my major’s curriculum, because it offers everything that is require by the jobs in field of electrical engineering technology.   

References

City College

Poly-Tech

Stony Brook

Buffalo University

Hunter University

Florida Institute of Technology

New York Institute of Technology

MIT

Stanford University

UCLA