Week 3 Assignments

• LEARNING JOURNAL 3
  • Please spend 5 to 7 minutes free writing about #2 (“A Place”) of Professor Rodgers’ “10 Things to Write About” in her ebook _What Is Writing?_.  With free writing, the only rule is that you are NOT ALLOWED TO STOP WRITING.  This means that if you do not have something to say/write, you just write, “I have nothing to say at the moment,” or “My mind is blank,” etc.  Please time yourself for this free writing assignment.

RWA5:  Responding to Colson Whitehead’s Essay

Please write one to two pages in response to Whitehead’s essay.  You can offer a critique, write something in response, craft a braggodocious (sp?) essay about your city/neighborhood.  Basically, you can do whatever you would like:  for instance, would you be interested in writing a rhetorical analysis of Whitehead’s essay?  Feel free!

RWA4b: How Do You Write?
DUE: Wednesday, Feb. 13

City Tech 
College Writing

Professor Rodgers

Using as many separate sheets of paper as necessary, please respond to the following questions. This is informal writing, meaning the form and voice in which you reply is quite open ended. Please type your responses to these questions, follow MLA formatting guidelines and make sure to read over your responses at least once before handing in the assignment.

In one to two pages, I’d like you to describe how you write.  I’m interested in knowing DETAILS regarding your history and experiences with writing, as well as how you write for college courses.  When did you learn to write?  What is your writing process like?  Where do you write?  What are the steps in your writing process?  I’m interested in all of the gory details here:  How, when, and where do you come up with your ideas for what to write?  How do you get started writing?  And then what do you do?  I’m interested in EVERYTHING that happens from the moment you receive a writing assignment to your submission of the final draft.  Do you write your ideas down?  Do you write your ideas and drafts by hand or on the computer?  Do you take a walk at some point to think about your writing?  Do you take a nap at some point?  Do you print out your drafts to revise them?  And then what?  And then…?  And then…?