Blog Post #9: Death Note

The text that I will be writing on for Essay 3 is based on a manga/graphic novel. It is called “Death Note” by Ohba Tsugumi. The title itself is pretty much self-explanatory. It is mostly about a notebook and whose name is written onto it, he/she will die. It somehow landed into the human world by a Shinigami (Death God) due to his reasoning, which is boredom. One day, a straight A “Mr. Perfect” student named Yagami Light saw the death notebook landed out of nowhere and picked it up. Strange current of events starts to unfold and change Light’s life.  The Gothic metaphor I will be using is madness/insanity. In “Death Note”, the social issue is Light develops a prolonging obsession madness of bringing justice to those who deserve to die, to be rid from society. He wants to be a God-like figure to those who do wrong and injustice to create a world with no evil. Those who did wrong and/or oppose of him, they will be brought to justice and perish to their execution. Yet, I believe without evil in the society we live in presently, there will be no good. It’s suppose to be at its balance and equality.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 9. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Blog Post #9: Death Note

1. This text sounds appropriate. I’d like to hear a bit more about the social issue/anxiety that you will be comparing your Gothic metaphor to. What do you think the madness represents in this text?