Question 4

The theme of love is explored in the novel through morbid and volatile family relationships. It isn’t showed in the conventional ways we would typically see love. For example with hugs, kisses, laughter and joy; a happy and loving family relationship. Instead Claudia’s mother shows her love by attending and “caring” for her daughter when she is sick. She roughly rubs Vicks on her chest when she is sick,”She takes two fingers’ full of it at a time, and massages my chest until I am faint (Morrison 11)”. the love her mother shows her is rough, harsh and humiliating, because when Claudia pukes her mother yells and gets angry at her. “My mother’s anger huniliates me, her words chafe my cheeks, and I am crying (Morriosn 11)”. This example of love is mean, bitter and hurtful. however we do see a more conventional form of love when Frieda comes in the room and sings to Claudia after she vomits.

There is also a lack of love in Pecola’s family. Her mother and father are physically abusively to one another, and their volatile relationship becomes the norm for Pecola. There is a lack of family unity and most definitely love in their household. This lack of love makes it difficult for Pecola to understand what love really is becausee her parents aren’t modeling it for her. It makes her vulnerable, insecure and sad because she internalizes these relationships and thinks that she isn’t worthy of love. It also misconstrudes her ideas about love and forces her to try to figure it out for herself, through very poor examples of love and relationships, like the prostitutes above her family’s apartment.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 7. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Question 4

1. Anwar says:

With Claudia and Freida i noticed they both find ways to show affection for each other likek you mentioned above allowing them a glimpse of a caring love while Pecola is confused with the prostitues love for sex rather then actually caring for a person

2. cindy says:

yes i agree with all you said Shashe, in Claudia family they show love affection very different , weird because instead of hugs, kisses, laugh , joy and saying “i love you” they showed it by humiliations, the only part when we see claudia’ mother care for her love her is when she take care of her when she was sick. claudia, Frieda knows the definition of love and affections because they have role mole family while Pecola parent always fighting not showing her affection of love, she got to the conclusion that she isn’t worthy of love, and confused of what exactly is love.